SH Spotlight If you have a turntable you need to play your mono records in true MONO. How to do it cheaply..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 14, 2006.

1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It is likely to be in most systems.

2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Which, sonically visible, or invisible? It will depend on the listener and the system. Will the benefit outweigh the sonic cost? That will be up to the individual. The more resolving the system and more sensitive the listener, the more it will likely be noticed. There's no point in conjecturing in that regard.

I know that, in my system (and you can see it in my Profile), putting a stereo to mono y-connector setup I bought from Radio Shack resulted in a greater focus with mono recordings, which is expected, but audibly less fidelity in other areas such as a grayer sense of color and texture, and frequency extremes rolled off. And this was placement between the phono stage and integrated.

With modern mono recordings, ones cut with a stereo head, summing the channels wouldn't make a difference, to my understanding.

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Most systems.

4. AnalogJ

Most systems what? Yes, I, too, can say that on most systems, the mono/stereo switch box will either be sonically invisible or sonically visible. o_O

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As I noted the first time:

6. AnalogJ

So you agree, then, that it's most likely to be sonically visible in most systems. Nice to know. :pleased:

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I suggest you re-read what has already been posted.

8. AnalogJ

:doh:

Sorry, but you aren't clear, and you don't back your assertion with anything. I speak from my experience, and I have tested it. I haven't seen anyone do a careful comparison as to aspects of the sound of which I talk about other than the focus. I don't even assert, one way or another, how many will or won't hear it. But you, in your own infinite wisdom, seem to be omnipotent.

9. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Joel S likes this.
  10. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

This trick rocks totally got my mono sound on the cheap

11. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

Do I need a dedicated amplifier for this or can I do it if I have Audioengine A5's with a built in amp?

12. fishyboots

fishyboots Forum Resident

HEE,HEE!!

13. AnalogJ

I would think that as long as the y-connector of box comes after the phono preamp, you'd be fine.

14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

My new SS Hyperion cart with Nordost cables is doing an amazing job with new vinyl cut in mono. No need for chintzy Y cords.

Fill out your equipment profile. HEE HEE.

Somerset Scholar likes this.
  15. AnalogJ

SS Hyperion? I'm not familiar with it. Is this a mono cartridge?

16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Soundsmith makes a mono version Hyperion, but mine is a stereo version. New mono records are cut using a stereo cutting head from what I understand. So can be played with a stereo cart to good effect. My previous setups did not play mono records as well, so I used a y cord. I tried the y cord with my new setup and the playback was not as good while using it.

17. AnalogJ

Ah... Soundsmith. :idea:

I just had them retip my Benz wood M2.

18. fishyboots

No need to know what equipment I have.
    I was relating on having to crawl behind my rack as well
    Hence... the Hee,Hee : )

19. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

To give a context to @Tullman 's request to complete your equipment profile, our host (Steve H.) posted a thread some time ago requesting that members do this. He explained that it is to give a context to any opinions members share about the quality of recordings or equipment. Nothing to do with snobbery. However, it's up to you.

20. AnalogJ

For Steve Hoffman, it's not really optional if you're going to comment on the sound of the music as a critique. If you're merely going to write something like, "Hey, my favorite Jethro Tull album is Aqualung and here's why...", you don't need to post your equipment. But if you're going to post about individual pressings, you need to post your equipment.

fishyboots likes this.
  21. fishyboots

Thank You AnalogJ

AnalogJ likes this.
  22. qwerty

Listing your equipment in your profile also relates to discussions regarding audio equipment, because every component is in relation to other components. So where one person's "this piece of equipment is disappointing" may be seen in the context of not being a good match with the hifi gear it's used with, whereas someone who has the same device in a complimentary system may report it to be an excellent device.

AnalogJ likes this.
  23. qwerty

24. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Could anybody weigh in on whether these would sum to mono? I would really appreciate it. My system is pretty mid-Fi and I have it all cabled with Amazon Basics cabling which I’m really happy with.

I have them hooked it up and for the Beatles mono vinyl box and it sounds great but I want to ensure I’m doing it properly:

AmazonBasics 1-Male to 2-Female... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01D5H8RE0?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

AmazonBasics 2-Male to 1-Female RCA Y-Adapter Splitter Cable - 12-Inches https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01D5H8SGC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_WnOOZMyq1fPIB

25. qwerty

Your links aren't working, but from what I worked out from them they should work OK. Then you would connect your regular interconnect into the two F sockets from the adapters.