Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Do you got this 10 inch?

melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.
  2. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

At the price I paid for it, which wasn’t much, it’s more than worth it.

Firstly it’s a great set. There are many of the usual suspects and tons that I’d never heard before. The box is a regular CD size and the booklet is thorough and informative like all Bear Family products.

It’s be worth it for a regular priced box from the label, but at the prices it’s on the market for it’s absolutely a no brainer. I recommend it wholeheartedly to anybody with an interest in Rodgers.

3. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Just as well, its already been shipped! :laugh:

Mr. H and melstapler like this.
  4. Svein Arne

melstapler likes this.
  5. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Lee Curtis is the next one I plan to get. May grab the others eventually, though I find those earlier British rockers were often softened around the edges by their labels. Still plenty of great material, just interspersed with some fluffier fare.

I'm really looking forward to next month's collection of Taylor's home recordings. Always on the hunt for that completely unvarnished lo-fi-before-lo-fi sound. Song clips now available:

King Size Taylor LP (10 inch): Taylor Made LP (LP, 10inch & CD, Ltd.) - Bear Family Records

melstapler and MerseyBeatle like this.
  6. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

The price of the Bare/Silverstein goes up by about $30 USD
    after September 21 according to Bear Family. Act now.

7. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

How do you like your Big D Jamboree set????? Give me some pros and cons.

melstapler likes this.
  8. Svein Arne

I got this cd box.It is really great.Many unknown local stars on it.recommended.This CD box i got contains real CDs,not made on a PC.:righton:
    I also got The Onie Wheeler CD:
    Onie Wheeler CD: Onie's Bop - Bear Family Records
    This is not a CD made on a pc.It is really great.:tiphat:

9. GodBlessTinyTim

10. Svein Arne

A Hank Williams show never heard before,listen to it here:

Enjoy it with cold beer:tiphat:

11. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Imagine being there in front of the magic!
    So many questions....
    Sounds like it was recorded to tape or maybe a wire recorder?

melstapler likes this.
  12. Svein Arne

Should have been releasedc on vinyl with lots of pictures.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  13. darling

darling Senior Member

14. Svein Arne

I got that.My CDs is a mess,no system.I got about 5000 CDs and it is growing.I guess i can blame Bear Family Records for that.:D

15. GodBlessTinyTim

Frank Virtue's Rocks CD opens with an earlier version of "Guitar Boogie" by the Esquire Boys on which he played bass instead of lead.

If the guitar flourishes sound familiar, it's because the lead picker is occasional Saddleman/Comet Danny Cedrone. Compare it to his work on "Rocket 88", "Rock the Joint", "Shake, Rattle and Roll", and most notably "Rock Around the Clock". Cedrone died in 1954 before the song took off. Who knows where his career might have gone?

16. Svein Arne

Bill Monroe live 1970:

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  17. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

Any other new box sets expected in 2020 besides the Bobby Bare one? Should we expect 1 new box set released per year moving forward?

18. GodBlessTinyTim

Latest acquisition, Tex Harper (AKA Rudy Preston AKA Harry Head) with Tommy Scott's band on 10" LP. I didn't get it until now because I thought all the songs were on Scott's Collector CD. Here's one you can only get on the BF album or on V/A rockabilly comps:

The cover photo has to be one of the coolest publicity shots of any 50's rocker:

[​IMG]

I wouldn't be surprised if announcements were delayed this year. Connie Smith and Rich-R-Tone ought to be on the horizon.

19. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

20. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I was just having an updated look at what's available by Mel Street, I've got a cheapy Best Of and Mel Street and Country Soul twofer from 2009. Really it's pretty woeful for such a great singer to have the best part of sod all of his music available to a standard he deserves.

Come on Bear, get it together, you're letting us down, what with this, Johnny Paycheck, Stoney Edwards and Kay Adams, that's not really asking too much...

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I really wish there were some more vintage country sets coming (vintage to me means before 1956; i.e. before Presley became a superstar)

22. Svein Arne

Merle Haggard and other great country stars on Johnny Cash show:

:righton:

RSteven, Juggsnelson and melstapler like this.
  23. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely. The "Country Soul/Self-titled" twofer 1CD on Poker has since gone OOP and commands large sums from scalpers/opportunists. This was the only CD option focusing on Mel's Polydor recordings. All of the Gusto titles remain available and more recently, the Encore label released a budget-minded collection comprised entirely of previously-released material. I purchased the 2CD version, but haven't compared it to the Gusto discs which I believe can't be topped in terms of sound quality. The Encore label also released a similar Percy Sledge collection of previously released material and most of that material is found on Percy's Gusto releases.

bstone1994 and The Killer like this.
  24. bstone1994

bstone1994 Well-Known Member

What a fabulous thread, from which I’ve learned a lot! So many amazing releases with so much great music and documentation. I’m a big Western Swing fan and my latest (not sure why it took me so long) is the Pee Wee King and his Golden West Cowboys box which is great. Others have expressed wish lists for future boxes—I’d love to see a second Merle Travis box—to my knowledge his great 1969 tribute album to the Delmore Brothers (with Johnny Bond) has never been released on cd, along with his CMH recordings. And it would be great to see BF do a Delmore Brothers box along the lines of the fabulous Blue Sky Boys box from several years ago. Thanks to all who have shared their passion and knowledge in these previous posts!

25. GodBlessTinyTim

My ceaseless hunt for lost roots-music treasures has again brought me before the dreaded British Archive of Country Music. I gambled on two of their titles, one by Bill Browning and the other by "Hobo" Jack Adkins. It's the only compact disc release for both artists, and the only album of any kind by Adkins.

Browning is best known for writing the eventual bluegrass standard "Dark Hollow", but he himself was a straight country artist who occasionally dipped a toe into rockabilly. The sound quality is decent throughout, and my biggest issue (besides it being a CD-R) is that they got his date of birth wrong by over ten years.

Adkins was a prolific bluegrass journeyman who, unusually for the idiom, wrote all of his own songs. No PD fare, no Carter Family standards, no Bill Monroe covers. The arrangements are often so primitive that they sound more like regular country. If you told me was related to Hasil Adkins, I'd believe you. Sadly, many of the songs have brutally sharp, harsh audio. I can't tell for sure if it's the result of poor recording, or if they underwent some horrifying digital process. Imagine this except brickwalled:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klWKNNRadIg

While I appreciate BACM for making these artists' work available to the masses, they deserve better treatment. Here's hoping Bear Family and other labels continue plumbing the depths of (relative) obscurity.