Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

McCartney is self-titled. McCartney II was like saying "my second self-titled record." And McCartney III would be like saying "this is my third self-titled record."

It's more than the words though. Self-titled means a certain thing (different things) to artists. To Paul, it has historically meant that it's an album Paul recorded largely at home and almost completely playing everything himself.

So if he releases a McCartney III then those aspects could very well be present as they were on the first and second self-titled records...

theMess and 2141 like this.
  2. I thought Paul McCartney died in 1969?

Don't tell me I need to return my copy of a misprinted Abbey Road?

3. Mr Snow

Mr Snow Forum Resident

He died in 1966 actually.

But anyway, I understand a web domain has just been registered as McCartneyiii.com by the company which runs Macca's official site. Nothing to see yet.

4. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Great prediction from 2018!

5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

In these times of global civil unrest and pandemic I have one single burning question on my mind. What is Paul McCartney up to?

Cpt. Crunch likes this.
  6. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Yeah no kidding, not for nothing, when I saw the OP back then, I though this was about as wishful thinking as it gets, now it looks like there is a pretty good chance it might happen after all

mrjinks and 5th-beatle like this.
  7. Joel Nohnn

Joel Nohnn Forum Resident

On BZ there is a thread that states a domain for McCartney III was registered on 28/8/20 by the same people who registered Paul's site. Not sure if it's some kind of fake/mock up but it looks real.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  8. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

The story is that Paul has recorded a long-overdue sequel to McCartney and McCartney II during the 2020 lockdown. Like the first two, Paul has written, performed and produced the album himself.

No, there is no press release … yet. I'm told that will be coming in mid-October. So how do we know this thing really exists? Well, we don't officially, until MPL announces it. However, I personally received info from a member here about this several weeks ago, and we started chatting about it in the McCartney News thread. If you missed that discussion, I recommend you read this post for background. Subsequent to that, I received private confirmations from multiple members here and posted another update about all the info that came to me in this post. Also, other members noted that the website www.mccartneyiii.com was registered in late Aug, which would seem to point to this being true.

Having said that, it's mostly been just me posting these details and I can't tell you whether to believe me or not. You'll have to make up your own mind on that! I'd kind of hoped to keep discussion in the other thread for now, but it's starting to get carried away so, rather than waiting until October, I thought I'd start this now.
    The first real confirmation of the album "Egypt Station" shows up around page 290 of that thread, and that's what I was hoping to avoid!

Note: while it was great fun to be the first to hear about this, it's also been kind of stressful, which I wasn't expecting! I know this has got a lot of people very excited and it's now traveled to blogs, podcasts, twitter, etc. If we don't hear official word on this album for some reason in the coming weeks, I may just have to hide somewhere, because I don't think I'll be able to live it down! But I genuinely DO think it's happening and I can't wait to hear what Paul has in store for us.

9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Is it confirmed (far as rumors go, anyway) that McCartney III is the name of the album?

longdist01, saborlord123 and omikron like this.
  10. bward

bward Senior Member

Thanks MrJinks!
    I personally think this is true; too much smoke with that fire.
    But, if it's not, no worries from me.
    Honestly, I don't think you have to worry about that.

11. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I've been counting down the days until December 11th.

(Today: 80)

12. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

i thought he died for a second there...

905 and tug_of_war like this.
  13. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Yes. Please review the posts I mentioned in the first post above. I have no info on song titles at present.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  14. Max Wilbury

Max Wilbury Berlin Beetle

[​IMG]

80 days and counting......
    I just saw many fake covers like mine above. So what do think ? His face on it like on the 1980 album or rather a different artwork like in 1970 ?

I don't think we'll see his face (close up) unfortunately. But I'd love it as much as I loved the series of the last Johnny Cash's albums covers. And don't get me started with Rick Rubin... :goodie:

15. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

If you've been duped, this was a masterful con job from a number of sources. In other words, I think your reputation will remain in tact. :righton:

theMess, somnar, DK Pete and 10 others like this.
  16. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I always thought of Electric Arguments as sort of a de facto McCartney III but I certainly wouldn't mind another more experimental record from Paul.

17. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I hope it's true.
    And I hope he's not trying to conquer the young fans of Billie Eilish this time. Do your thing, Paul.

18. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Good job, I'm glad the thread is being split off, so the "news tread" can revert back to the informative non-slow chat thread, easy to keep up with all tidbits on McCartney.

And it's like not this should be discussed on the down-low, since everyone relevant to the labels worldwide received their information last week. So it's no surprise news as exciting as this started spreading by now. Even when all information can be traced back to this very thread.

Nah.

19. Alen

Alen Forum Resident

I hope this year we can have macca on the cover. It has been years without having a clear photo of him (press to play). Flaming and Driving have slightly blurred photos... And as this is a more "personal" project, maybe we can see him on the cover again. Who knows... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

20. So
    Then we should have a box with all the 3 McCartney album filled with bonus tracks

Boognish and omikron like this.
  21. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

"Like the first two, Paul has written, performed and produced the album himself."

This will be the first time since 1979 that Paul produces an album all by himself, with no co-producer.
    I mean, he have always had a producer (or more than one) with him since Wings broke up!!!

December can't come soon enough...

22. Victor46542

Victor46542 Victor Baissait of Maccaclub

would be a great news after a strange year to finish the year with a McCartney album !

theMess, foxylady, mrjinks and 4 others like this.
  23. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

If this ends up being true, I'm SUPER psyched!!

theMess, 5th-beatle and tug_of_war like this.
  24. Little Willow

Little Willow Forum Resident

Required elements for a McCartney album:
    - All of the tracks must be recorded by Paul and him alone, not a single orchestra or outside involvement (except some harmonies by Linda of course, but
    ...);
    - It must be produced by Paul;
    - It doesn't necessarily have to be engineered or mixed entirely by him: some of McCartney was engineered by Robin Black and Phil McDonald, who mixed the album. McCartney II however was mixed by Paul... assisted by Eddie Klein (R.I.P.);
    - There must be instrumental tracks;
    - The album cover should have nothing to do with the previous ones;
    - The artworks for both albums were made entirely by Linda... So, will Mary "replace" her mother, after spending the lockdown with her dad? Are they gonna use old photos taken by Linda?

25. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

just as long as it's weird....