Current Paul McCartney news thread (interviews, articles, miscellaneous)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Aug 15, 2016.

1. supermd

supermd Senior Member

That would also be interesting.

mrjinks likes this.
  2. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

That it would, but I think it had something to do with some documentary. Time will tell

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs likes this.
  3. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Definitely would like to hear at least one last self produced ones.

4. Martin de Dios

Martin de Dios Forum Resident

Oh my god!

5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

By a source that has never let me down:

[​IMG] ;)

6. grorr76

grorr76 Forum Resident

I have it, its the best sounding reissue of that album I have heard it is digital though its not aaa. Copies leaked out during drop 1 for which I was able to grab one.

JDeanB, Beattles, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  7. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

From All You Need To Know about Half Speed Mastering | uDiscover

Do the digital masters come from the analogue tapes?

They would have been done in the last four to five years. A lot of the tapes are in America – there’s no way they’re going to ship tapes across the sea just for me to cut some records. The days of flying tapes around the world are long, long gone. So they would have been made for a high-resolution archive copy, or a Blu-ray audio release.

There’s digital and there’s digital. You’ve got very compressed limited CD files, which don’t sound that great – it’s just too loud and too in your face, so that it jumps out of the speakers. Or you can do it in high resolution, a real clean transfer, no artificial compression that’s not needed for a vinyl cut.

But it’s better to use those high-resolution files than to dig the tape out and run it once again because you’re basically scraping it against a metal head. And that will damage it each time – albeit only very slightly. But once you’ve run it 50 or 60 times, that builds up. You’re effectively moving the oxide bits around, so you’ve got some of it in the wrong place; some of it has worn away and doesn’t sound as good as it could. So that’s another reason why we try not to do it too often. We want to preserve these things for future generations.

Plus, there’s a terrible problem with tape from the mid-70s to the late 90s, in that you need to bake it to make it play. You can only bake them about seven times before they fall to pieces – they literally just die. So, really, putting out high-quality records is probably the best way to preserve music for the future, because, in 100 years, they’ll still work. We’ve got 100-year-old records that still play."

8. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

:doh:

No, @mrjinks is the one in the know this time. And a big thanks to him for keeping us all in the loop!

jlf, mindgames and C_Jepson like this.
  9. gaels7592

gaels7592 Forum Resident

Where is the post that confirms it? Is it the website that gives us the confirmation?

10. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Well, I wonder what a McCartney III co-produced by Rick Rubin would mean in terms of how the album was recorded...I would assume Paul would have had to go to Rick's studio in California, which would run counter to the "concept" of his S/T records...slightly. But I suppose he could have traveled to Paul's place. Or any participation Rick had could have been from a distance/digital in nature.

omikron likes this.
  11. grorr76

grorr76 Forum Resident

In the GQ interview paul says he recorded them alone so can't see it being a collaboration with rubin. It was full lockdown after all.

theMess, omikron, Tord and 4 others like this.
  12. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

McCartney III :)

[​IMG]

"In the bath. London, 1969. Photo by Linda McCartney"

Source: Twitter

13. supermd

supermd Senior Member

There is something very interesting about an artist doing everything 100% their way, with no outside influence (producer or songwriter). For instance, I would love to hear an album by Brian Wilson that he and only he was involved in creating, production and writing-wise. Of course, the results can be a mixed bag, which I would argue both "McCartney" albums are. Still, I love them, and have been relishing the chance to hear another album in the same creative vein as the other two.

This makes me wonder: it seems from interviews Paul gave in 1980 that McCartney II was largely for his own personal enjoyment, but people encouraged him to release it, so he did. As in, he had no eye towards making it commercial, but merely: "Do I enjoy this process and the results of creating music for my own fulfillment?" McCartney (1970) seems to be similar, with it being not only homemade, but padded out by whatever fun experimentation he was doing at the time. I am 100% OK with that being the approach again here. I love both those albums for what they are (and even as enjoyable albums in general).

14. grorr76

grorr76 Forum Resident

That's one opinion of course. Many artists labels are able to do fantastic all analogue releases without going into the digital realm, eg neal young , blue note tone poet series, Beatles mono box. it is possible but in this case they chose not to.

longdist01 and Who Cares like this.
  15. beatleroadie

That's what I was thinking. But maybe Rubin and his team mixed the record, or they communicated online/by phone on ideas and advice and Rubin was a consultant from afar even though Paul was recording alone at home.

Just a rumor of course...just thinking...

omikron likes this.
  16. grorr76

grorr76 Forum Resident

really no point, paul has a plethora of engineering talent at his disposal including those on his own staff. I suspect the rubin thing could be a completely different project if true. all supposition though .

Sean, Elliottmarx, supermd and 2 others like this.
  17. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Well, realistically, we don't have all that many new studio albums left. So why not allow him to express himself which ever way he pleases.

omikron, C_Jepson, JDeanB and 2 others like this.
  18. beatleroadie

No point? Rick Rubin isn't a fly by night producer of the month...He is an experienced and well respected producer (someone who's produced stripped down acoustic based music to massive acclaim) and someone that it's entirely possible Paul has had on his wish list to work with one day.

I could see Paul seeking his advice and input 100%. Who knows if he did, but its not a crazy idea as if Paul would never seek Rubin's help...

omikron likes this.
  19. grorr76

grorr76 Forum Resident

no I meant there's no point in him mixing it . you forget to paul is a very experienced producer himself. my hope is its totally him in the studio alone making stuff up experimenting without outside influence. Id love to hear a looseness and a cohesiveness to it.

Tord likes this.
  20. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

To recap:
    Source #1 told me about the album being done, and the title, with no release date info. When I first posted that info here, I kept the title to myself, intentionally.

A couple weeks later, source #2 contacted me to tell me I’d been right. When I wrote back, asking for more detail on what they’d heard, they told me the title (which, again, I hadn’t shared with anyone) and the release date. While I was considering how to share that info, about an hour later, source #3 also wrote me to tell of McIII coming and provided the same release date, too.​
    All three sources here are members with >5 years experience of posting thoughtful, intelligent posts, IMO.

Is it possible this is all BS that I’m trying to sucker you with? You’ll have to decide that.

Is it possible my first source (who claimed to have heard the info firsthand) was wrong? Maybe??? But it seems odd that person would then convince two other long-standing members here to independently send me the same information, both confirming the title and both sharing the same release date with me, prior to me ever posting I’d even got a confirmation. Again, you’ll have to decide for yourselves. For those who like elaborate conspiracy theories, I’m sure they can concoct one to fit the timeline.

Until MPL announces something, this doesn’t exist. But rather than sit on what I thought would be of immense interest here, I chose to share the news and have been as transparent as possible about my info. There’s one or two small pieces of info about the HOW this was found out that I haven’t shared, but they aren’t at all relevant to the main point about McIII coming in December.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  21. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

It's real, it's true, it's a documentary. Time will tell what kind of project.

22. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

I've loved all of Paul's latter day albums, but my main issue with them is that they're not always that adventurous. You kind of know what you're gonna get. The McCartney-esque style works really well for him, but just this once I would like something a little different. McCartney III would be that.

23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Okay, okay. I have to admit that this has gone too far. I only meant to kidnap one "source", who would pull a prank on you mrjinks. I still have not forgiven you when you once said that you wouldn't consider "Bip Bop" to be among Paul's top 3 songs ever. Remember, I didn't care if you insisted on 2 other random Paul songs that were better. But not to have "Bip Bop" at #3 was just so negative...
    Anyhow, the first kidnapping went so well, and it felt so EXCITING, that I then kidnapped a second source and then a third. And you fell for it, like a charm. Whatever they told you, you believed it. How gullible...
    But I didn't realize that I'd have to feed my hostages, and I just don't have that much bread and jam.

So I take it all back, and we can stop all this fantasizing about a new Paul album.

;)

SERIOUSLY: Thanks for your solid info!

Hep Alien, Zeki, theMess and 4 others like this.
  24. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Have you had your meds today, Arnie?

;)

25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

RSD McCartney half mastered.. anyone?