USPS issues

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by larry333, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Gregalor

Gregalor Forum Resident

Because they’re lying bastards who do that all the time. I frequently get things marked as delivered at the end of the day but with no package delivered, and then low and behold first thing the next morning there it is. They just don’t want to finish up for the day. This is what happens when you know you pretty much can’t be fired.

Sorry, I know this isn’t quite analogous to your situation, I’m just venting because it brought up many bad memories.

2. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Go ahead, take your mail into Fedex and use them instead.

ScramMan2 likes this.
  3. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

If it's anything important I do.

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Yes, because who needs efficient delivery when you have fifteen dollars to blow on sending a piece of paper.

By the way, did anybody get the news, that a Federal Judge has ordered the Postbastard Generalissimo to reverse all his intentional changes? Nationwide injunction temporarily blocking an attack that would disenfranchise voters in November.

Expect lawyer after lawyer to pepper the Bench with distractions, diatribes and delays emanating from a certain Pennsylvania Avenue address in 3...2...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    riverrat and Alan G like this.
  5. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

As has been explained ad nauseum here and elsewhere, most problems the USPS faces can be easily explained by some things that private carriers do not face:
    1. Being saddled with having to bank enough funds to cover retirement for their employees 50 years into the future. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but represents a playing field that is anything but level, compared to private carriers.
    2. Having to provide service at equal, or at least reasonable cost in remote, rural areas across the U.S. Letters cost the same to mail, regardless of where they go in the US. Again, this is not a bad thing, in fact it is a legitimate and worthy function for a federal agency but not something private carriers do.
    3. Being kneecapped by a politicians who try to break federal agencies and programs they don't like, who then point to the problems they manufacture and say "look, its broken".

Alan G likes this.
  6. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

I agree with you 100% -- having said that the USPS is a disaster.

7. Dillydipper

Take that into the context of what put it there, though. And why your opinion tries to focus people on the result, rather than the cause. Otherwise you're just being disingenuous.

riverrat likes this.
  8. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Exactly.
    To just call the USPS "a disaster" without any context is pretty lame, IMO.
    And on its face, that characterization is an exaggeration, at least regarding how they perform in my neck of the woods.

9. FWatty

FWatty Collector of Zuni Fetish Dolls

I live in Fort Worth and mailed a vinyl to a guy in Fort Worth. He just didn’t want to schedule a time to pick it up.

USPS sent it to Dallas where it sat for three freaking weeks before it was finally delivered. I almost had to play nice guy and split the loss with the buyer.

10. Dillydipper

Sooooo...:wtf:...you already had the money...you knew the address...he was in your town...you already charged him for postage...and...it didn't occur to you, that you could have saved yourself the postage, and spent the 79 cents of gas it may have taken to just dropping it off yourself, on the way to the grocery...?

Or-! :idea: Maybe it was worth your time and money, to have yet another story to share in a forum thread, about a guy who never thought to save himself a trip to the post office, save himself the money the purchaser paid for postage, save himself the time to wrap it...and just drop it off himself, because he had already gotten paid, so there was no risk at all, and delivering it yourself would have assured you the delivery was flawless....

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  11. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Heck, they could have met at the grocery for the dropoff and shared a banana nut muffin. :p

12. Dillydipper

Buuut, that wouldn't've made a good story for one of the Hoffman Board's legendary "Postal Service sucks, why are they so dumb" threads...:shrug:

13. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Got a good USPS story. I bought some media on eBay. The seller used a USPS small Priority box and taped it all up in duct tape and tried to use Media Mail for shipping. The retail clerk caught this and he charged them the $8.30 cost. I say thanks for the quick delivery.

Moral of the story. If you want to do this wrap it in other paper.

14. bug2362

bug2362 Forum Resident

I sold a cd on EBay. Shipped July 30 media mail
    Arrived in New Jersey sorting facility Aug 3
    Delivered September 12 !

15. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

That gives me a bit of hope, I ordered a CD on Ebay that shipped from Kansas City on Aug. 31, arrived at a USPS facility in Springfield, MA on Sept. 5 and is still there!

16. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

17. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Be prepared for some negative feedback on this. The buyer paid the postage and does not expect to see the seller on his doorstep making a delivery. Even if it's on the way to the grocery store.

On one major on-line seller it's not allowed. How will you prove it was actually shipped?

GentleSenator likes this.
  18. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

I’m in Massachusetts on the south shore. Stuff is getting stuck first in the Springfield hub and then the Brockton hub afterwards. Media mail is now listed as 1-3 weeks delivery(was it always? I never noticed because deliveries were always fast). Personally, I feel for postal carriers. They‘re going through A hell not of their own choosing right now. I hope your cd arrives soon!

Maurice likes this.
  19. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I've had numerous Media Mail lps arrive here within 3-4 days of shipment.

My USPS mail carrier routinely picks up pre-labeled outgoing packages (often lps) from my front porch, where I leave then since they don't fit in the mailbox. She also makes sure to place any incoming packages there, since she knows what a packaged lp looks like.

I appreciate the USPS and their personal service a lot, regardless of the fact that they aren't absolutely perfect.

20. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Obviously you should have sent it Fedex. I'm sure you will next time.

21. Dillydipper

I don't mind. To some, it could be construed as stalking, I guess. And, if the buyer engaged you to ship the product as "postage" or "shipping" I guess he could have a right to complain about it.

On the other hand, I order things from "Mr. Amazon" all the time, and instead of seeing the US Mail jeep, or the brown UPS van...it comes to me courtesy of a blue van with "Mr. Amazon"'s name right on the side. And I don't have a problem with that.

Now, suppose you bought something from a "Mr. Dillydipper" off the Hoffman Board, gave him your address, and by golly, he saw that you lived right down the block from him.

Wouldn't it just be a treat to get a knock on your door that very afternoon, and a guy with your purchase in his hand said..."Snark-O-Gram for Mr. ScramMan2." Would you really tell me to walk down to the Post Office and drop it in the box...?

Dave and ScramMan2 like this.
  22. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Well said Dillydipper. I'd make an exception for you.

The Amazon bunnies here are grey with blue letters. They used to be plain white a few years ago. All you see when you make a road trip on the interstates now are Amazon trailers. We did a road trip to Denver in late June.

23. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

Timely topic. Received this yesterday. The mailperson placed it on the porch, hole side down. Yes, it went all the way thru to the LP - and the sleeve had a nice bend in the middle as well.

Not an expensive album, nor was it insured - as I would typically do with an expensive item. Still, annoying - and it happens way too frequently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Gregalor

Gregalor Forum Resident

25. rjh_54

rjh_54 Well-Known Member

I'm frustrated, and I know they have a lot to deal with right now, but there's no reason for them to lie about attempting delivery. Thankfully in this situation, my buyer is willing to be patient, but I am going to file another claim with USPS. I think it's hilarious that they asked me for feedback as if the issue had been resolved.