The Beatles before fame - photo thread!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

But almost a decade later, Klaus asked again, and this time John said okay (for the Plastic Ono Band, that is)... ;)

2. Solaris Morse

Solaris Morse Forum Resident

That's Michael A.Hill far left. In 2013 he wrote the book, 'John Lennon: The Boy Who Became A Legend'.

LilyMarz and guitarman1969 like this.
  3. guitarman1969

guitarman1969 Forum Resident

I'm going to have to start compiling your quotes - The Wit and Wisdom of Arnold Grove!

4. guitarman1969

...and one of a select group of people who actually managed to stun John into silence!

5. LilyMarz

LilyMarz Forum Resident

Fan photo from the Cavern.

[​IMG]

andrewskyDE, omikron, somnar and 14 others like this.
  6. guitarman1969

Not boring me at all - quite the opposite. I'd never seen this letter before although I'd read the quote about Paul's bass playing. I can't recall if he'd bought the Hofner bass at this point - I always understood that he'd borrowed Stu's bass for a while. (I'm a total nerd when it comes to the Beatles' instruments - there's a great book about the subject called Beatles Gear).

You also reminded me that these few weeks were a crunch point for The Beatles - their future looked very uncertain. Even after the landmark gig at Litherland Town Hall at the end of '60, Paul got a job winding coils and was given an ultimatum by John.

I am actually from a seaside town called Southport which is mentioned in Tune In - Neil and Mona got together whilst on a day out there. If I still lived there, I'd probably be on my way to Manchester already!

beccabear67, coffeetime and Ken Wood like this.
  7. guitarman1969

Great photo Lily! I love the intense facial expressions.

LilyMarz likes this.
  8. LilyMarz

LilyMarz Forum Resident

January 1963

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

And a good job he did too.

10. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Yes, but that was later - Stu let Klaus play his bass with the Beatles on stage late at night (actually not ON stage as he was shy and chose to sit beside the stage). Once Stu had left the band he gave his amp to George and sold his bass to Klaus (but borrowed it back later when playing with the Bats). I think it was on the last day of this stay when during a tearful goodbye party when Klaus suggested he`d join them on their way back and become their bass player. John then told him that now that Paul has already bought a bass the position was taken.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  11. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Thanks! No, he didn`t have the Höfner yet then - it would take another half year for him to get it. It seems it was only after their new bassist returned to college that he restrung his Solid 7 (now having been shipped back from Hamburg) as a make-shift bass. This wouldn`t last long as Stu did return to Liverpool (actually meaning to stay, not just visiting) and retook his bass position. Once back in Hamburg the Solid 7 was strung back to 6 strings again. So all this means that Paul`s initial bass-adventures were short-lived.
    Yes, Beatles Gear is great - have not checked it out yet to see what it says regarding all this.

guitarman1969 and beccabear67 like this.
  12. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Beatles Gear does not add much - a bit more on the timeline maybe. Paul says he borrowed Stu`s bass for a week or so until he went out to look for a bass to buy. So this indicates again that Stu was on and off - in fact he was on again even after Paul bought the bass. It also makes clear (via a Pete interview) that Stu had not hard feelings regarding Paul taking over. I think all of this must have happened in July, when Stu was already a student at the Hamburg art school, but the engagement still ran for a month, basically trying to be both a student and a musician. One think that might be a bit more enlightning: When did Stu apply for the school and when did he get his permission and student grant? Because that must have been the time when he decided to stay in Hamburg for good - at least for the time being. The Beatles knew they would eventually return to England without him and at least then they`d need a replacement.

13. LilyMarz

LilyMarz Forum Resident

John and his poor eyesight. Rehearsing at the Cavern with Paul.

[​IMG]

14. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Paul climbing down the drainpipe from his bedroom. They tell that story during the National Trust tour inside of Forthlin Rd.

Monasmee and LilyMarz like this.
  15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

It should be pointed out that the original lyrics of John's "Gimme Some Truth" had the following couplet:

No short-haired, yellow-bellied, son of Fishy Wicky
    Is going to mother hubbard soft soap Mimi
    With just a pocketful of hope...

;)

16. LilyMarz

LilyMarz Forum Resident

Everyone loved the photo booth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

At least three guys seem to feel the joy of making music... ;)

18. LilyMarz

LilyMarz Forum Resident

The Harrison siblings on VE Day, bench - bottom right, George, Louise, Peter & Harry in Wavertree.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

omikron, notesfrom, Tim 2 and 7 others like this.
  19. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

I'll sit where you want or I won't sit at all.

20. LilyMarz

LilyMarz Forum Resident

Cavern, late 1962. The blonde her arms crossed is George's girlfriend, Bernadette Farrell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. LilyMarz

LilyMarz Forum Resident

Earlier photo of Astrid with her mentor, Reinhart Wolf.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. President_dudley

President_dudley Forum Resident

dare i say it
    about this thread
    fab
    & thanks everybody

23. LilyMarz

LilyMarz Forum Resident

Tower Ballroom, 1962. I can't tell if they're all from the same gig, but George looks pissed off in the first photo, as does Paul in the second.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. LilyMarz

LilyMarz Forum Resident

Rory with "Ma Storm", Vi Caldwell. Vi's open house often hosted late night Beatles and Hurricanes.

[​IMG].

Photo of Iris Caldwell on the wall.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Postcard from George to Vi.
    [​IMG]

25. LilyMarz

LilyMarz Forum Resident

Paul (with Dot) and John (with ?) at Vi Caldwell's home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]