Comparing a $20 Phono Cartridge to a $250 Cartridge

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rivcuban, Sep 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

Here is a very informative page on stylus shapes, by one of the leading cartridge experts on the planet.

Peter Ledermann, well known and very well respected owner and designer of Soundsmith. He discusses wear, and sound of different stylus shapes, etc.

He's the guy that almost everyone on the world sends their cartridges to, for having them retipped and/or rebuilt. He can upgrade/replace stylus types, cantilevers, rebuild motors, and other cartridge services. He also makes some of the best sounding cartridges on the market, at most price ranges.

https://www.sound-smith.com/articles/stylus-shape-information

nosliw likes this.
  2. Rivcuban

Rivcuban Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks lucca.

3. Rivcuban

Simoon...I just received my upgrade elliptical stylus from LP. It was a bitch to install but I finally was able to do it. WOW! The sound was so much better than the Audio Technica conical stylus. This new stylus is probably as good as my old Ortofon Red. Thanks again.

4. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Is that a compliment? :hide:

5. Rivcuban

Of course! Both are great budget cartridges. I use an Ortofon Blue now and I'm really happy.

6. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I'd take the $250 one.

Actually... I have an AT $75 and an Ortofon $250. Kinda close.

The AT sounds acceptable, nice cart for $75. (Don't remember the model number)

The 1980 NOS Ortofon M20FL 'Super' sounds wonderful! Sounds like 1980! :agree: And nothing wrong with that!!

7. Sa likes this and

Sa likes this and Forum Resident

Comparing an Nagaoka Mp-110 to a Rega Carbon (upgraded? AT3600L) out of necessity, in that order, was pretty surprising to me. The detail was certainly lost, but that Rega Carbon cartridge has a really, really, nice overall balance to its sound. I'm tempted to get an upgraded elliptical version of it to recover that detail while ideally retaining that which it does well (and save big time).

No idea what it is, but it provides the perfect amount of play between the instruments in the genres I mainly listen to at least; 60's-80's rock and related sub/post genres. There's quite a few people, with more comparative experience and budget than me, online raving about the performance of that cart and similar variants.

One of the most interesting experiences I've had in my humble Hi-Fi journey.

8. LuvDual

LuvDual Forum Resident

I have been using the AT-3600L cartridge on my Dual 1209 both with the conical stylus and the LP Gear elliptical stylus and am very impressed with the sound quality.

9. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

IMO, the AT3600L sounds shrill and sibilant… but just a small step up is the AT-VM95E, which is about 50 bucks.
    While half of the price of an Ortofon Red, it sounds much better to me.
    I picked one up while I was actually shopping for headshells - I didn’t have much expectations of it.
    Just fun to try one out I thought.
    So it really surprised me how good it can sound in a good system and setup properly.
    To hear what a beginners cartridge is able to provide was quite a humbling experience for me.
    I’ve posted a recording on a thread I made about it:
    Reappreciation of a beginners cartridge - have a listen

Of course it’s not as good as my Denon DL-103R Ortofon 2M Black or AT VM540ML… but it’s surprisingly close considering the price!

patient_ot and Stone Turntable like this.
  10. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

AT-95C worked a treat when I used it briefly on my TD160. It wasn't the 95ML by a long streak, but if every other cartridge disappeared overnight leaving just the 95C, I wouldn't have been massively upset. It got the music over very well.

Someone on a very tight budget, £30 max, needing a cartridge can buy this with confidence. For the money, it's absolute steal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.