Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

George P likes this.
  3. peerless1

peerless1 Well-Known Member

A complete Milstein set would be a massive undertaking and may not even be possible considering rights to individual recordings.
    Here is a recent updated(?) discography. I am the 'original' copywriter.
    Nathan Milstein's recordings & discography - Youngrok Lee's Music page

Most recordings are available through on source or another.

George P likes this.
  4. George P

[​IMG]

Enjoying some Mozart this morning. CD 1 from the above set, which contains Symphonies 21-25. The sound is excellent and the playing is light and lovely.

Wes H and Eigenvector like this.
  5. George P

[​IMG]

Saw this superb documentary on the life of Chopin today. Highly recommended!

6. George P

[​IMG]

Inevitably, now enjoying some Chopin. Haven't heard this CD in awhile, as it is perhaps not an absolute top favorite (Tipo (live) and Moravec occupy this spot) for these works, but his are a close second.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  7. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Mozart's string quartets K. 155-172.

Wes H and Eigenvector like this.
  8. George P

I knew he wasn't old when he wrote these works, but I didn't realize just how young he was. Only 16-17 years old! :eek:

WaterLemon likes this.
  9. drh

drh Talking Machine

The really scary kid, however, was Felix Mendelssohn--at that same age, he wrote the string octet and the Midsummer Night's Dream overture, both fully mature works. He found his voice very early, and it stayed with him for the rest of his brief life. Even the prolific Schubert's talents didn't come to fruition that quickly, although he did write his Erlkonig setting at age 17 or 18.

WaterLemon and George P like this.
  10. George P

[​IMG]

Sampling this set now on Spotify, I am surprised to find it appears to be entirely made up on audience recordings. And not just that, the sound seems to have been excessively processed so the sound sounds rather unnatural. As a result, I think I will be passing on this one.

11. drh

drh Talking Machine

I ordered the set, and my copy arrived a couple of days ago. I just copied the first disc (Schubert sonatas in a and A) to my "server" last night and plan to play it tonight or tomorrow. According to the program notes, the recordings were all made by a single "fan"--perhaps one more exemplifying that term's etymology, a fanatic--a physical therapist and rhythmic gymnastics instructor who assembled elaborate notebooks of Annie Fischer photos and performance memorabilia and made a practice of attending all Mme. Fischer's performances in reach with a cassette recorder hidden in a gym bag that she'd bring along and stash under her seat. Hence the title "Secrets." If I remember correctly from my brief skim of the notes, the results were hundreds and hundreds of hours of tapes, a goodly number described as falling below the level of commercially releasable even with heroic intervention. Hungaroton has already issued one compilation from them, and this is another, both devoted to what I guess are the "better" tapes. Apparently the lady was in the habit of sitting in "organ" seats, behind the stage and hence on the wrong side of the piano lid.

I also got my Katsaris set that I mentioned some posts back, but I haven't even opened that one yet. Among other things, I'm in the throes of dealing with a mess (I use the term advisedly) of 78s and a few LPs that dropped into my lap recently, some from my daughter's former singing teacher and most from the estate of a collector friend who passed away earlier this year. As my daughter puts it, "This year sucks." But some interesting things in there, including acoustic recordings of Elly Ney and Una Bourne.

Wes H and George P like this.
  12. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the above 2CD set. I have long been an admirer of these performances but had never had the opportunity to own the original mastering until yesterday when I found this set for a great price!

Wes H and layman like this.
  13. George P

What a great story, RE: that fan!!

14. drh

drh Talking Machine

Well done! Does that set present any pre-emphasis issues?

15. George P

It doesn't. My player, Denon DCD-1600NE, handles pre-emphasis nicely, though. Even if it isn't in the table if contents.

drh likes this.
  16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

As far as I know pre-emphasis wasn't applied by Philips.

17. drh

drh Talking Machine

Good to know. Thanks!

18. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the stereo layer of this SACD, a recent find in a local used CD/SACD store. The sound and playing are gorgeous!

Adam9, Wes H, dale 88 and 1 other person like this.
  19. drh

drh Talking Machine

I know next to nothing about streaming services, but I've just learned that the company behind some speakers I'm to review for TNT-Audio has put a series of demonstration tracks on Tidal. I'll probably need to check them out, at least, in doing my "due diligence" regarding the speakers. For those who have played with it, how does Tidal stack up as a source for classical music, both in absolute terms and in comparison to its competitors? Knowing the low esteem in which classical music seems to be held by the reviewing fraternity these days, I'm reasonably confident these test tracks will be mostly pop type material, but if Tidal is good for my kind of music, and if it offers decent audio quality, maybe I'll consider dipping a toe into the 21st century and opening a subscription, given that I'll be fumbling my way through accessing the service anyhow.

20. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I'm copying this over from another thread but I found these at Wonder Book yesterday.

LPs
    BEETHOVEN: Five Piano Sonatas - Vladimir Ashkenazy and The Chicago Symphony Orchestra conducted by Sir Georg Solti (UK Decca pressings for US London)
    LISZT: Hungarian Rhapsodies - Michele Campanella (Italian Philips pressing)
    By Request - Walter/Wendy Carlos (US Pittman CBS Masterworks pressing)

CDs
    BACH: Mass in B Minor - Bach-Collegium Stuttgart and Gächinger Kantorei Stuttgart conducted by Helmuth Rilling (US CBS Odyssey CD)
    HANDEL: Messiah - Academy and Chorus of St. Martin-in-the-Fields conducted by Sir Neville Marriner ("MADE IN USA BY PDO")
    WAGNER: Parsifal - Choir and Orchestra of The Bayreuth Festival conducted by Hans Knappertsbusch* (West German Philips CD; a foam insert which got on the first two CDs but it looks like the play side isn't affected...I hope)

*I know, Karjan on DG, right?

Adam9 and George P like this.
  21. drh

drh Talking Machine

No, Hans Knappertsbusch (popularly known as "Kna") was also a celebrated conductor, noted his Wagner--particularly Parsifal--and for slow tempos, and if the discs say he was on the podium, he was on the podium. Also noted for bluntness. Supposedly once he and Karajan were both participating in some event or other (Bayreuth Festival, maybe?), and Karajan had a sign put on one of the restroom doors reading "This restroom reserved for Maestro Karajan." Knappertsbusch tacked one up on the next restroom over reading "This restroom for all the other a**holes."

Adam9, fdsfd, dale 88 and 2 others like this.
  22. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I like the anecdote but my point was Karajan's seems to be the reference recording.

23. George P

[​IMG]

Found this OOP SACD used for $10 this week. Giving it a first spin now.

Adam9, Wes H and Eigenvector like this.
  24. drh

drh Talking Machine

:oops: Oops...sorry!

mBen989 likes this.
  25. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

No worries. I'm sure I'll enjoy this one.
    That is, if I can find the time to sit down and listen to the whole thing straight through...well, not totally straight through but you get my point.