The Beatles before fame - photo thread!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Sep 14, 2020.

1. LilyMarz

LilyMarz Forum Resident

Paul's response to drummer who answered ad for Hamburg audition. If interested ring Jacaranda Club. Missed opportunity! Letter auctioned in 2011.

[​IMG]

Larry Parnes, Beryl and Alan Williams and Billy Fury. 1960

[​IMG]

omikron, Purple Jim, MoonPool and 5 others like this.
  2. LilyMarz

LilyMarz Forum Resident

Ringo with Johnny Guitar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Doesn't quite have that Peace sign down yet.

4. LilyMarz

LilyMarz Forum Resident

Additional photos from the Odd Spot 1962 show. Even Pete seems to be having fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

andrewskyDE, omikron, oboogie and 4 others like this.
  5. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

The one and only source (as far as I know) for the Aunt Mimi - Michael Fishwick thing is Julia Baird, John's half-sister. Julia supposedly was told this grand secret by her Aunt Anne (she and John called her 'Nanny'), who then was 84 years old. Conveniently, Anne died shortly after this amazing revelation and wasn't around to be challenged over it when Julia's book appeared.

I mention all this because Julia Baird has always been very "anti-Mimi", which, given the rather odd circumstances of the reveal of this big family secret (to Julia only, mind!) makes it highly questionable in truth, to my mind.

Even aside from all that, is it really possible that John was living there for years, with Fishwick, in a quiet home with he, Mimi, and some cats, in the south suburbs of Liverpool, and he never noticed anything?

6. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Oh, I thought the only source is Mr. Fishwick himself. Didn`t know that Julia also wrote about it. I have her book but didn`t read it in a long time and since have come to the conclussion that she has maybe a bit too much of an agenda herself to be considered entirely relieable. I also think her book was updated or she wrote a new one, so maybe that detail simply isn`t in the one I own.

7. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Going backwards in Tune In I found that:
    - Paul might have taken up the bass even earlier (maybe borrowing Stu`s) when Stu was seperated from the group to play with another band for a while.
    - Stu was planning to leave the Beatles and return to Liverpool to pick up his studies again as early as September 22, 1960 (so before Astrid).
    - Paul didn`t just hold John`s guitar in the famous photo but restrung it to use it himself (but then didn`t buy it). Early signs of unhappyness with the Rosetti Solid 7 Lewisohn speculates.

There is another (closed) thread here regarding the reasons Paul chose a Höfner once he decided to go to bass. One thing I didn`t read there but came to my mind the other day: ALL the other strumming Beatles had Höfner guitars as a time before this. So you might regard it as the go-to brand for the band at a time.

cwitt1980 and LilyMarz like this.
  8. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

I'm trying to think of even one other photo where Pete and any of The Beatles are having any kind of interaction onstage. Anyone?

andrewskyDE and guitarman1969 like this.
  9. LilyMarz

LilyMarz Forum Resident

The Floral Hall in Morecambe, January 1963

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. LilyMarz

LilyMarz Forum Resident

Paul on a school outing, 1952.

[​IMG]

Paul's prize winning essay, 1953. ...It was well worth it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. LilyMarz

LilyMarz Forum Resident

John's Daily Howl. What a mind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. guitarman1969

guitarman1969 Forum Resident

@LilyMarz where do you find all these photos? They're incredible. I've been a Beatles fan for 40 years and I've only seen a handful of them before. Thanks for sharing them with us!

pantofis, Bern, Loup and 4 others like this.
  13. guitarman1969

guitarman1969 Forum Resident

14. LilyMarz

LilyMarz Forum Resident

Most of them are new to me, too! I have been a serious fan since I was teenager in the 80's and felt like I'd seen it all in biographies, etc. published since the 70's and up to the Anthology period. It's really just that so many more photos have become available since then. There was a great blog called The Gilly which is now inactive but had so many great newer (to me, at least) photos - many of which I've posted here. Other fan sites, as well. And, seriously, don't underestimate those crazy Gen Z young fans who are so adept with the internet and see this stuff and this band with fresh eyes and post Everything making it easier to find! It's been very cool to see what all is out there - with the exception of the manipulated photos. :tsk:. It's like going down the rabbit hole.

15. LilyMarz

LilyMarz Forum Resident

February 1963, photo by Michael Ward. Hmm, it's a good idea for an album cover.

[​IMG]

Cachiva, andrewskyDE, omikron and 9 others like this.
  16. LilyMarz

LilyMarz Forum Resident

Ringo when he still signed autographs.

[​IMG]

When he was with the Eddie Clayton Skiffle Group.
    [​IMG]

Cachiva, andrewskyDE, omikron and 8 others like this.
  17. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

December 15th, 1962 at the The Majestic Ballroom Birkenhead
    Photographed by: Graham Spencer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

John`s hair reminds me of Jerry Lee Lewis here. How old is he in this photo?

19. LilyMarz

LilyMarz Forum Resident

The photo is from 1955.

Ken Wood likes this.
  20. LilyMarz

LilyMarz Forum Resident

An earlier show at the Majestic. It must be very close to the end of Pete's tenure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

omikron, MoonPool, drum_cas and 6 others like this.
  21. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

It won't be like this in 1969.

22. LilyMarz

LilyMarz Forum Resident

June 1962 - Playhouse Theater in Manchester rehearsing for radio broadcast recording. Photos by Mike McCartney.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

omikron, MoonPool, mrgroove01 and 4 others like this.
  23. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Ca. two weeks before Pete got fired - the last known photo of Pete as a Beatle.

LilyMarz likes this.
  24. LilyMarz

LilyMarz Forum Resident

John's letter from Hamburg to friend/fan Lindy Ness. "I'm so cheesed off I could bloody cry"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Can`t read most. But "I hate Hamburg" does not sound good.
    No date it seems but he says "I loved you being at the airport" so she saw them off when they flew there (last stay?).
    What does S.W.A.B. mean?

LilyMarz likes this.