'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

The Concept/Performer pairing sailed through the sax solo without much trouble (I could here some strain, but no buzzing noise this time), though there was one blip during a loud drum hit near the end. So, with my copy at least, the MMT/Nagaoka was mistracking. No defect there on my copy, just cut very hot!

Dai, BreakBeat DJ and MisterBritt like this.
  2. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Yeah, you can hear the same on Cannonball Adderley’s Alto on Something Else right at the start of Autumn Leaves.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  3. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Im confused. What exactly is wrong with the Henderson title?

4. Kimiimacman

Nothing but SOTT vol. 1 side 1 track 2 some copies have a glitch 3:20 in

Bobby Hutcherson The Kicker, Mirrors track exhibits some reed noise at the end of the track that some seem to think is a fault.

5. magnet

magnet Forum Resident

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    RiRiIII, dastinger, miq2son and 2 others like this.
  6. Kimiimacman

7. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Thank you, guys!

How do you know when something from Dodax is coming? Do they have tracking now?

8. FWatty

FWatty Collector of Zuni Fetish Dolls

No, it's very old school. You order and you just wait and wait and wait. I order from them fairly often because you can get pretty amazing deals. Their mailers are soft garbage though, so I'd say 1 in 5 times I have to complain about damage but they've always just shipped me a replacement.

Kimiimacman likes this.
  9. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Oh I know, I order a lot from them for more than one year now, hence why I was curious to know how @Kimiimacman knew his order was coming the day after.

Regarding the mailers, I only had an issue once and that thing was clearly mishandled. No issues on dozens of orders with them, otherwise.

10. FWatty

FWatty Collector of Zuni Fetish Dolls

I see what you're saying. Good question about how he would know it's coming tomorrow. I receive notices of shipment, but never any way of knowing where it is or when to expect it.

11. bresna

bresna Senior Member

But when Joe is fully isolated in that left channel, it's like a solo. :)

Dai likes this.
  12. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Cancel your order. They'll take forever to ship. I waited 2 months for one record and they still didn't ship it. I cancelled it and ordered from Amazon.

Levi's Tubs likes this.
  13. Dre327

Dre327 Well-Known Member

Do Tone Poet titles go out of print or do they get repressed on a normal basis? I’m looking for Chet Baker Sings and seems to be sold out everywhere. Thanks.

Joti Cover likes this.
  14. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

None are going out of print anytime soon. Represses are probably backed up due to the COVID shutdowns earlier this year. It’ll be back

Dre327 likes this.
  15. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

keep an eye on the Blue Note facebook page for notices.

They have mentioned when titles came back to stock at the Blue Note store,
    just last week 5 titles repressed showed up, so things are rolling.

As was mentioned, RTI was closed and there is backlog for many many records,
    and lots of new releases are delayed.

Dre327 likes this.
  16. Kimiimacman

No tracking from Dodax. The reason I ‘knew’ it was coming was that I ordered 3 TPs on consecutive days and later had 3 shipping notices on consecutive days followed by 2 records delivered on consecutive days so the 3rd (my comment) was a sound prediction which turned out to be so. All were £21.99 too.

Arknine and dastinger like this.
  17. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying.

18. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I received my Dodax Turrentine TP yesterday.

19. LongHairedJazz

LongHairedJazz Forum Resident

As for the TP restocks - did they locate more supply or did they actually repress? If a repress, I'm curious if anyone has purchased any of these restocks and how they differ in matrix from the 1st press.

20. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

They don't need to change the metal to make more, a repress wouldn't necessarily
    be differentiated, they're not making millions.

We discussed this briefly back a while ago to see if any copies
    had different matrix numbers, i don't recall anyone finding a different code.
    Many titles have been repressed according to Joe.

It's pretty standard industry practice to reuse the stampers with no additional markings.
    You can find examples of this all over discogs, titles get repressed 10 years later with
    no difference in the matrix code. It's not like the early days when the codes for different plants
    and runs of large quantities were all identified by different numbers.

GentleSenator and LongHairedJazz like this.
  21. magnet

magnet Forum Resident

off
    Do you have any info about the quality of Black Jazz records reissues?
    /off

22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Just a couple more days to the 9/25 street date now. Really looking forward to getting the other two releases..."Further Explorations" is a great record and can't wait to hear this Tone Poet style, all I have is a CD of it, so this should be quite the treat.

Jimmy Smith's "Prayer Meeting" is one of my favorites by him and I would easily put it up with "The Sermon" all though the lineup on that one is pretty hard to beat. I would get PM for the title track alone. This is one smokin' hot record! My local store has both of these in stock and waiting for me to pick up tomorrow. And you can't go wrong having Stanley Turrentine in on the fun! Only song I can do without is "When The Saints"...

Of course my favorite of these three is "My Point Of View" and was able to get another nice listen to it yesterday and it continues to impress. I so can't wait for others to chime in on it's awesomeness or put me in my place...ha!

If I may add a wee bit of humor here. Had to go back in for another infusion this past Monday and more next Tuesday (feeling ever so good right now), but I now know the secret to why Keith Richards is still alive...and it ain't cheap.

RSD 9/26 - I want that Bill Evans!

What title or titles from this Tone Poet batch are you fine people looking forward to the most?

Aeryn Sun, Elofan, timzigs and 11 others like this.
  23. Peterr

Peterr Forum Resident

I want that Sonny Rollins in Holland... :pineapple:
    On Vinyl..

LongHairedJazz and scotti like this.
  24. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Me too!!! But that Resonance 3 LP set is 11/27 or Black Friday if you will. You must be partial to this one as it's live from your neck of the woods I believe. This is a must have!

Peterr likes this.
  25. Peterr

Peterr Forum Resident

I hope to get my hands on one..
    A lot of the studio's where those sessions in the old days got recorded are in my home town.
    But I am to young (56) to have been there... The bands that I've seen are more the rockbands from the 80 and 90's (yes the big ones). So no complaints :D

By the way listening to Nathan Davis now.... Just wow!

Sorry for the off topic everyone...
    Grtz Peter

scotti likes this.