Joey Molland 'Be True To Yourself' October 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JDeanB, Aug 17, 2020.

1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Hope you enjoy the album and that your vision issues resolve for the better!
    ;)

2. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Maranatha5585 and Hep Alien like this.
  4. Kent Gray

Kent Gray Resident

Sounds like he's trying to revisit Badfinger's power pop history.

I don't care for him personally and that taints the music for me, which doesn't sound like anything special anyway.

5. mrjinks

Shame this isn’t on LP, to take advantage of that gorgeous Julian Lennon cover shot...

Maranatha5585, JDeanB and Hep Alien like this.
  6. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I Don't Wanna Be Done With You

905, Maranatha5585, jricc and 2 others like this.
  7. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Not surprisingly, this has the Mark Hudson sound all over it. Not bad.

Elliottmarx and longdist01 like this.
  8. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Omnivore records posted a video for...

"Rainy Day Man"

9. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member Thread Starter

My CD arrived (early!) from Omniore. Of course, it came this afternoon while I am working so I won't be able to listen today. Anyone else get a copy?

longdist01 likes this.
  10. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

We've been given 16th October release date.

longdist01 likes this.
  11. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Did you support "Kickstarter" campaign last Fall?

I'd heard that mailings to anyone that was contributing to "Kickstarter" campaign would be seeing items arrive around end of September, not sure if CD's were included until October.

Maranatha5585 likes this.
  12. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Monday September 28, 2020
    KMUW - FM
    Wichita, Kansas radio online
    Black Days, Blue Hearts
    Will be playing tracks from Be True To Yourself the new solo release soon
    from Badfinger's Joey Molland.

The record features guest appearances from The Monkees’ Mickey Dolenz, Julian Lennon and former Wings drummer Steve Holley and recalls Molland’s best work with Badfinger while sounding thoroughly contemporary. We’ll hear music from that release as well as selections from Julian Lennon’s 1998 album, Photograph Smile.

13. JDeanB

On the last song now...all I can say is wow. I am impressed! Last time I saw Joey, his voice was a little gruff, but not here. Mark Hudson's production reminds me of the work he did with Ringo. But the songs, all collaborations between Joey and Mark are first rate. And the backing vocals are wonderful. Love hearing Julian Lennon harmonizing with Joey. And fans of the Monkees should like "Shine" which has great backing vocals by Mickey Dolenz, Jason Scheff and Mark. I don't like making judgements about albums based on one listening, but I'll be playing this one a lot. It's very guitar oriented with a lot of little flourishes (even a bit of sitar on one song). There is even a very brief but obvious nod to "No Matter What" on one song.

smiley69, RickH, 905 and 5 others like this.
  14. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

15. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

All I Want To Do, another great song from Joey's new album with Julian Lennon joining in on the harmony. The album was co-written and Produced by Mark Hudson.

"All I Want To Do"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  16. Antifrodis

Antifrodis Forum Resident

As a huge Badfinger fan, I own and have listened to all of Joey's solo material. This is far and away his strongest solo effort. The songs are catchy, the production is the best he's had, his vocals are also better than I expected they'd be. This has been playing on loop in my car for the past week. The title song is probably my least favorite of the bunch, but still good. There are a couple deliberate Badfinger throwbacks in the songs, but otherwise they sound fresh and they don't overdo that type of thing. 10 Joey songs in a row is usually a bit much for me, but in this case, I'm enjoying every track. As a Monkees fan, it's kind of surreal to hear Micky Dolenz harmonizing with Joey. The backing vocals, overall, are welcome and really add to the songs. It's rare that an album comes along that I can just play all the way through anymore without wanting to skip a song or two. I hope people give it a chance as there are more gems on the album than the 3 songs already released to the public. "Heaven" sounds like a Badfinger outtake to me. I do wish some of the guitar work was more up front at times. I also think there's a bit too much slide guitar on the album. I'm sure it's another throwback to Badfinger, but when you hear Pete Ham play slide, you know it's him, and the slide work here either tries too hard or isn't trying enough. That's a minor nitpick though. For all the old rockers that still feel the need to put out new material long after the flame of creativity and inspiration has seemingly died out, it's nice to know and HEAR that Joey still has something great to offer.

smiley69, RickH, fishcane and 5 others like this.
  17. JDeanB

I wonder if the use of the slide, at times, is a nod to George Harrison. A couple of the songs remind me of Harrison's early 70s work.

longdist01 likes this.
  18. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

Same here !!
    I'd still like to get a signed copy and wish his label or site would get back to me on if it's possible to get some in an online store somewhere.
    I have met him and have his autograph a few times on some badfinger albums already, but i'd still like to support him more than just buying
    a regular cd and i'd pay extra for a signed copy of the new album. Heard one song so far and it sounded great!! I liked it more than anything he's done
    since 'Wish You Were Here" even !

mrjinks, 905, JDeanB and 1 other person like this.
  19. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Hep Alien and JDeanB like this.
  20. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

How cool to have an original classic line up member roaming the planet, stay healthy Joey!

RickH, JDeanB, 905 and 2 others like this.
  21. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    A talk with Joey Molland this Saturday
    October 17, 2020 around 10:30pm EST

Hep Alien, JDeanB and 905 like this.
  22. JDeanB

longdist01 likes this.
  23. mrjinks

I just saw this note on his Facebook page:
    We will have pre-signed CD's available sometime after the launch to the general public exclusively on BadfingerSite.com, as well as other merchandise being developed for the holiday season. Thanks in advance for the patience!​

24. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

25. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Two new tracks uploaded today from Joey's new album!

"This Time"

905, JDeanB, RickH and 1 other person like this.