Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. John Mee

John Mee Forum Resident

How about ordering a dust cover stretcher? <ducking>

2. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

:laughup:

3. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

I did exactly what PQ recommended and hired a local company. A fellow SH member had done the same and passed along a good recommendation (thanks Dale!). I found that I wanted a couple of inches above any part of the turntable to ensure nothing ever rubbed or banged against the cover. I think that I paid CDN $220 for it, but it may have been a bit higher ($280?). It really does protect a very expensive part of my hifi, so even though it doesn't look quite as pretty with the cover sitting over top, I feel much more relaxed about the possibility of damage.

I highly recommending doing the same.

klonk likes this.
  4. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

Over the years I have had three different copies of the book on acoustics by F.Alton Everest. The first edition came out a very long time ago and I bought the other copies to see what more had been learned. Not too much! I can say after having read those that I understand your frustration! There are so many different issues to address with acoustics, especially in a domestic setup. I also took the time (years ago) to read the various websites that were mentioned previously.

Now I just try to apply most of what I remember and simply start from there. Then, just keep adjusting and trying new things until you hit a sweet spot. After that, sit down and play some records : )

Encore, Fred Hansen and Subagent like this.
  5. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes I am going to have my dealer help me get a cover for the TT3 - there are many companies that can make it so the dealer told me when the TT3 comes back in (it is out on review) they will measure for the cutouts and get a quite for me to have one made - it is is incredibly dusty in Hong Kong.

6. Richard Austen

Okay Audio Note guys and gals - I am once again looking for a power amplifier for review purposes when I get harder to drive loudspeakers. As some of you know I have reviewed the Puraudio One which was lovely but at $10,000 it was too much to purchase as something that would be used just for reviewing a few times a year (if even that much). So I am looking for a relatively high power amplifier for a retail price in the $3,000US or lower range. I would put this to the regular forum but I want the ears that know and respect SET amplifiers. Thus, high power amplifiers that sound more like music and less about being boat anchors that have mega watts and sound pretty terrible. Things I am trying to achieve or preferred criteria:

1) Power amplifier (Tube, or Solid State or - gulp Class D - or an integrated if it allows for preamp in)
    2) Fairly high power - The ability to drive 86dB speakers at fairly loud levels in a 13 by 18 by 9h room. Preferably stable to 2 ohms
    3) Dual volatage - can be switched from HK/Euro voltage to 110v for when I move back to Canada.

The preamp will be the M6 so I have found that AN preamps can take over the sound of power amps to a degree.

Some of the initial names that have been floated are the following: If you have heard them let me know.

Parasound NewClassic 2250 v.2 - this amplifier ticks the "on the page" boxes - it has a voltage switch - it is stable to 2 ohms (400watts claimed) and it comes well under budget.

McIntosh MC 275 which is 2 ohm stable and can be converted (I believe) to 110v. Though McIntosh is a big name in Asia so if I had to sell it this would be fairly easy - lesser names and Solid State not so much. (Let's face it this is here just because McIntosh is kind of the cool kid brand and because the resale value usually remains high).

Benchmark AHB2 - the back indicates it is dual voltage. Not as powerful on paper as the Parasound and they are rather hideous looking amplifiers which is not a plus in its favour.

Lastly I am trying to find an amp that is a bit more well known that most people know about rather than some of the more esoteric brands. So while i like Sound Master here in Hong Kong - it is really a small brand that is mostly only known here.

7. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Maybe consider some of the hybrid Unison Research integrateds.

Andy Saunders and Richard Austen like this.
  8. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

Perhaps a Brinkmann Voltaire ?

Richard Austen likes this.
  9. NielsSS

NielsSS Forum Resident

If you go second hand you could find an elderly Mark Levinson 331 in that price range. Such a beast could satisfy all your need for power and be a good tool for review purposes.

Richard Austen likes this.
  10. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

A sensible approach. Moreover, it's all we can do :)

My frustration is mainly with the confidence with which advice on speaker placement is usually given. Although that could be said about most advice in audio ...:rolleyes:

11. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

what a fantastic year for AN! the new Half Reference and the AN-1S reworked 10" arm.

i heard this table mounted with the ARM Three / II and IOI at PQs when we went to the factory (although I'm told the final version of the PSU is even better) and its performance was on a completely different level from anything i had heard to date. music flowed with an incredible ease and was balanced perfectly.

i can't wait to get ours! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Following up on this, I decided to try my Townshend Seismic Isolation Bars under my E's. I bought them for my previous Verity Parsifal speakers but bc of the uneven weight distribution of those speakers, I never got them to work. I have had them sitting around and never gotten around to trying them with the E's. Until now. I've shot a video of them:

First impressions were that the sound got a little leaner but after having listened some more (a couple of days), I realize that there is a greater clarity. The bass is still there and maybe a tad more articulated than before. But voices and details are noticeably better, although I would say not by a huge margin. I'm very tempted to try Herbie's dots bc I don't like the looks of the Townshend bars. And even though I got a discount on them, they are still not cheap, so if the effect of Herbie's dots is comparable, the bars will go on eBay.

I've also included shots of my room. The curved panels from GIK definitely does something good for sound, although also with these I didn't feel that they gave a night-and-day difference. What they did however, was to make particularly soprano voices much less shrill. And an overall smoother sound and improved soundstage.

13. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

I really like your room! Those are interesting footers. I've used Herbies square dots between a hand full of speakers and stands and like them in each case. Minor, but to me I hear a bit tighter bass and more detail up top so perhaps how you're hearing your current bars.

Encore likes this.
  14. tommylion

tommylion Well-Known Member

I also use the Herbie’s square dots between my Es and stands, and am quite happy with them. I also have their threaded stud gliders on the stands, instead of spikes. Herbie's Audio Lab makes many effective vibration control products at very reasonable prices.

gov, Encore and J.Uotila like this.
  15. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Thanks :) Yeah, that sounds about like what I'm hearing ...

16. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

@Encore lovely looking room and system- just a thought are your Townsend Bars have the correct load cells?:)

Encore likes this.
  17. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Thanks, Andy. Good point, I'm actually not quite sure. I ordered them so that they would work with the Parsifal's weight of 41 kg, IIRC. I'm not quite sure what my E's with their partly filled stands weigh. The E is a lighter speaker than the Parsifal, though, so it's probably not too far off.

Andy Saunders likes this.
  18. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

l have The Podiums under my K's and they are one of the best things l have purchased in the audio world- again a lovely room there.:edthumbs:

Andrew Mackay likes this.
  19. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Seems very practical. What is the correct thread size for AN's stands?

20. J.Uotila

J.Uotila Forum Resident

It's M8

Gjo, NielsSS and Encore like this.
  21. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Great looking room love all the light! And cool footers are they on springs?

22. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Richard since your in HK you probably have access to some of the great Japanese SS brands like Accuphase, Esoteric, Luxman. Japanese SS Class A amps sound fantastic in my experience.

Acapella48 likes this.
  23. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

Thought about posting this question in an open thread but I wanted to find out what other AN system owners are using to stream music through their systems.

At the moment, I have the following on my radar:

Auralic Aries Series
    NAIM ND5 XS2
    NAIM NDX 2

I have had no experience with Auralic but I have owned a NAIM component; the CD5 XS. My experience with NAIM/AN, IMHO is that the SQ of this combo is quite favorable, at least as a source feeding into AN amplification goes.
    The ND5 XS2 is the sweet spot in the NAIM lineup and although the NDX 2 has a better DAC chip and upgraded parts, etc, it's twice the price. MQA is not supported in any of NAIM's network players.

Not sure if not having MQA support is a deal breaker and since I would be using my iPad to control and access streaming services, I see little value in having a tiny display screen.

The Auralic Altair G1 is a bit less expensive than that NAIM ND5 XS2 but falls into the sweet spot (price) range. The Auralic Aries G1 would be a step-up from the Altair G1 and still less expensive than either of the NAIM offerings.

I'm essentially looking for a one box solution for accessing online streaming services and/or music on external storage devices such as USB or a NAS via WiFi.

It would be nice if Audio Note UK offered a network player but alas, that is not the case.

So, I'd just like to get some idea of how some of you have been able to incorporate streaming into your systems.

Chris.p.l and jonwoody like this.
  24. Richard Austen

Yes these are definitely more appealing because after my vacation to Japan - and watching so many Scotty Kilmer car videos on car quality - Japan gives me the impression that they do everything better.
    I suspect an Accuphase will be trouble free for 40 years. And the Luxman amp look quite impressive. Accuphase is considerably less money in HK than in the United States. I don't know about the others - Luxman is less expensive here. $1,000USD less give or take per amplifier.

The problem is whether I can change their voltage - with Audio Note it is a 5 minute solder - the same with McIntosh. Parasound has a switch on the back and I believe Benchmark as well. It does not appear to be the case with Luxman or Accuphase - At least I can't see it stated anywhere.

jonwoody likes this.
  25. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I think it’s safe to say Luxman and Accuphase can’t be easily converted based on how many 100v items with matching step down transformers I see for sale in North America. You used to be able to buy grey market Luxman 100v gear on Amazon at substantial discounts despite the protests by the US importer in the comments section.

scobb likes this.