Almost Famous (2000)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bowie Fett, Aug 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

They used that on the Australian DVD though it was a more zoomed-in version of the shot that is on the Japanese blu-ray.

2. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I watched the director's cut again a few months back. Even though I've seen it countless times, I still fall in love with it all over again whenever I put it on. It only seems like yesterday that I watched it as a wide-eyed 16-year-old in my bedroom. It opened my ears to a lot of music I had yet to discover. It also introduced me to Frances McDormand (swoon).

Jrr, SuntoryTime, Chris DeVoe and 2 others like this.
  3. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

from The Digital Bits:

“Speaking of Paramount (and DreamWorks), a retail listing for Cameron Crowe’s Almost Famous in UHD came up briefly on Amazon UK before it was taken down, so it seems likely that the title is planned for release in the months ahead. 2020 marks the film’s 20th anniversary, so it makes sense.”

4. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

For me, Kate Hudson has never looked better than her appearance in this film.

5. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

That and it is arguably her best work as an actress. Me, I am a hopeless sucker for Zooey ❤️ but she does little in this movie.

Galley and Humbuster like this.
  6. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

I saw Kate stand by the stage at a Black Crowes show. She makes me woozy.

7. Bowie Fett

JohnBeas likes this.
  8. PeterTheLittlePest

PeterTheLittlePest Active Member

I saw in theatrically at the time and liked - then felt a bit later when someone said " more baby boomer self-mythologizing "!:cry:

9. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

Saw her too. At the Paradiso in Amsterdam. Soundboard area.

Watched "Almost Famous" yesterday. Still my fave music related movie. The Blues Brothers, The Commitments and This Is Spinal Tap are very strong competition though.

Chris DeVoe, Hagstrom and Duke Fame like this.
  10. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Finally was able to watch the extended cut, all 160+ minutes last night. This really works as an extended cut, unlike many others I’ve seen. The film had a considerable jump in my personal rating after seeing this!

Thanks to someone here (the OP?) for mentioning it some months back and getting me to seek it out.

JorgeGvb, vegafleet and Chris DeVoe like this.
  11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Okay, by this point, how many of you have:

- watched the "Stairway To Heaven" scene, with the actual "Stairway To Heaven" playing in the background...

- watched the "Stairway To Heaven" scene, with "Dark Side Of The Moon" playing in the background...
    - watched the "Stairway To Heaven" scene, with the "Benny Hill Theme" playing in the background...:wave:

12. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Ha! I did try, but couldn't get it synced up quite right.

I'm really glad that scene got cut though, I don't like it at all. Five minutes of Patrick Fugit air-drumming really badly.

carrick doone likes this.
  13. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Absolutely right! It's probably the most indulgent scene I've seen. I'm sure Cameron the person thought it was great fun to do but I am certain Cameron the film maker (and his editor) understands it is a pace stopper and too indulgent. I would have hated the movie at that point if it was included.

SuntoryTime, vegafleet and Phil Tate like this.
  14. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

This is the only film with Kate Hudson that I can sit through. Frances McDormand I can watch on screen just reading the newspaper, she is so freaking talented. I have yet to see the Director's cut. I may pick it up this weekend if I go out.
    I agree about the scene with Kate Hudson and "The Wind" = magic

15. Bowie Fett

16. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Senior Member

17. starbuck

starbuck Forum Resident

The 25% off discount code SUMMER25 works on the pre-order for the uber deluxe set on the Universal web shop, bringing it down to $225 + taxes with free US shipping. I would be very tempted if I were in the USA.

JohnBeas likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Gotta admit I prefer the theatrical cut to the extended one. It's just too long and self-indulgent for this story:

Almost Famous [Blu-Ray] (2000)

Sometimes more isn't better. Some movies work better at a shorter length, so like "That Thing You Do!" or "Apocalypse Now Redux", it's fun to see the added scenes in "AF", but I think the extra footage harms each of those movies...

Jimmy B. likes this.
  19. Rycherocker634

Rycherocker634 Forum Resident

I actually enjoyed the Stairway scene without the music. It was fun imagining where they are in the song.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

carrick doone likes this.
  21. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

22. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Yes, his mom is lovely but that was so uncool bringing her in for the commentary.

Cameron made pretty much everything right with Almost Famous. But I wonder how much input his producers and editors had? Because he did want to include the Stairway to heaven scene in movie and that is embarassing bad. No wonder that Zeppelin didn’t give him the rights for the song

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

24. Chris DeVoe

That's a shame, but maybe he could release an underground "b00tleg" commentary as an mp3 file, the people could download and play along with the film.

budwhite and ClausH like this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

I mentioned this, because of the directors have done "unauthorized commentaries." Cameron Crowe could release one that wouldn't have to be vetted by the studios lawyers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.