AP UHQR Jethro Tull Aqualung

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gordon Johnson, May 4, 2019.

1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I’m betting it’s the Classic Records plates, and I don’t have the Classic so I’m in. Personally I would like to see an unreleased Classic 45 rpm, like Blue, Who’s Next or Deja Vu.

AaronW, Fractured and Nephrodoc like this.
  2. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

It’s been a while since I had a serious comparative listening session but I do remember comparing the 200 Gram Classic Records reissue with the 45 RPM version and deciding I liked the 45 RPM version because the dynamics were better and because there was a bit more bass. I sold off the 200 Gram Classic and kept the 45 RPM version. I assume Bellman will be doing a new cut for this release considering he’s got a decade more experience now and a much better mastering chain. If I find out otherwise then I will be cancelling my preorder pronto.

3. morwells

morwells Forum Resident

Lucca90 and Twinsfan007 like this.
  4. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Those are some great choices! Throw in some Steely Dan, Led Zeppelin II, Little Feat, Pink Floyd-Animals, Supertramp, Moody Blues, Spirit - Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonics, and Simon & Garfunkel- Bookends.

Glenn coates and dkurtis like this.
  5. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

My only question is if they used the previous plates, what tooknso damn long to get this out? MOFI is cranking out a couple a year and AP is so slow with no news until suddenly.

6. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

7. David P. Hill

Good question! Anyone have the answer?

8. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Would love to see a UHQR of Superunknown but that's a pipe dream.

9. morwells

morwells Forum Resident

Yup he doesn't and someone brought that up to him on twitter in the comments on this post. He basically says yes they are using the classic metal parts.

"Classic metal parts and why not? Great recording and plating and the tapes were that much fresher"

AaronW likes this.
  10. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Um, maybe an ongoing pandemic?

11. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

It didn't seem like the same metal parts were used on the Hendrix mono. The runouts were different and the spacing at the end was wider on the Classic. But both had BG - why didn't Bellman cut that new Hendrix? They might be reusing a master tape and making re-cuts - if I have the terms correct.

12. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Plan on passing myself.
    It's like we all deep down know, and MF stated, don't expect sonic miracles, it was just not recorded that well.
    But for the big fans, I'm sure this will be nice, the 45 cut should elevate it above the 33's as far making it mo' funner experience.

Catcher10 likes this.
  13. I ordered a copy and on my account page on AS it says "moved to reserve" so does that mean I've secured a copy?

14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

well the thing is, Blue, Deja Vu, Who’s Next, court and Spark and a bunch of others, are confirmed to have been done @45 rpm (at least as test pressings)but never released. LZ II exists as part of the massive 45 rpm “road case” as well.

15. David P. Hill

On the status line it says "backordered". Where on your page, was the "move to rescue" location? Are you a subscriber?

16. On the Account Management page and when I scroll down to recent orders it says in the comment section "move to reserve"

17. David P. Hill

Robert Ludwig, the master of LZII, has personal test pressing of the lp, with "extra bass", which was replaced a few months on actual release.

18. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

I said the exact same thing today! ...along with a Pearl Jam Ten

Soundslave and musictoad like this.
  19. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

I ordered yesterday and my status shows as backordered on the Account Management page

20. David P. Hill

I see order date, order number, and status - backordered. I even clicked on order number, brought me onto my order page of the JT Aqualung. Order status backordered. Not sure why you have "move to reserve". Wonder how many they have already inserted into their display boxes, ready for shipping?

21. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

I would not be surprised if AP presses these but at 45 as their UHQR. When I was talking to Chad a couple of years ago i asked him why they decided not to do the upcoming Hendrix as a 45 instead of a 33. He said pretty much so that he could sell twice as many; 45 and 33. Now, overall this wouldn't surprise me as I know he's in it for the love of vinyl but also needs to make money as well. If he decides to do Deja Vu as the next UHQR I wouldn't be complaining as I don't have the classic or mofi version of it.

David P. Hill likes this.
  22. nova

nova Wallowing in the black

Strange question but, is this release worth getting from an investment point of view?

23. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Just about everything is in today's market. Safer to buy Tesla Stock ;)

24. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Everyone is more than happy it shell out $125 for the record but adding shipping is a no go? :biglaugh:

25. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Huh?? So in your mind he was he inferring he would rerelease Axis as 45 RPM UHQR as well after the 33 RPM release? Not sure I am understanding correctly what you are saying above.