Pink Floyd Delicate Sound Of Thunder 2020 Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sis+erRay, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

:goodie: a big hurray to that. Count me in, Im on board.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  2. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

:righton:

3. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Now the only reason to return to the original old version is the slaping solo of Pratt's bass on Money. Any editing diference I forgot beyond that?

4. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

Argh, for these releases I like to just buy the bluray and then rip the audio. Sucks if the CDs have more.

5. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

I typically do the same. I must have 3 dozen concert DVDs/Blu-Rays that I've never actually watched, just ripped the audio to listen to

Still for this set I'm getting the CDs for the extra tracks

Luisboa likes this.
  6. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeah they recorded everything but they did not film WTTMachine or Another Brick.

Luisboa likes this.
  7. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Not editing, but mixing — The original has the big sound of the 80s Floyd, drowned in reverb. This is most noticeable on stuff like the drums on Learning To Fly where the new mix sounds really dry and, personal opinion, flat and lifeless. They really sucked the 80s out of those recordings. I know it's an improvement to many, but not to me personally.
    But in terms of editing, the new mix is a huge improvement over the original. Complete songs, extended solos, Floyd in full (dry) glory.

8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I dont get how the vinyl set is cheaper than the CD/Bluray set.

Considering I've only played my original vinyl maybe once in 25 years I can probably get by with just the bluray and cds set.

I didnt buy later years so bring it on.

Luisboa likes this.
  9. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Its a shame they cuted Pratt's slaping, not that we cant live without it, but personaly I dont like that kind of revisionism. For the same reason I agree that removing 80's sound from an 80's released its a bit absurd. Why not remove the 70's from Animals or the 60's from Piper?

10. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

There are some edits in the new release so you can hang onto your original too

Larry Schmidt and Luisboa like this.
  11. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Honestly, that would be a fascinating listen.

St. Troy, hiterss and Luisboa like this.
  12. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Ah ah. What have I donne!? :D

hiterss and bhazen like this.
  13. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

I'm not crazy for music on film. I watch it once or rarely and that's it (the exception for me is Pompeii wich I absolutely adore). I probably will buy audio only so no problem for me those missing songs, though its a pitty.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  14. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I couldn’t afford the big box and am glad to see a stand alone release.

15. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

To be honest, I prefer the original version of Comfortably Numb to the remaster version, which has a really distracting and unnecessarily frantic drum fill toward the end which sounds, to my ears, terrible. Maybe the original version was half studio creation, but I think they improved the arrangement by editing that bit out.

My impression, though, is that most here seem more a fan of the album than I am.

16. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

I couldn't agree more. Gilmour has made it clear in his statements regarding About Face that he's not a fan of '80s production.

Too bad, as I was and am a fan of that.

St. Troy, serj and Luisboa like this.
  17. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

The original version is still available so what’s the problem?

18. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

The "problem" is that there's new stuff added to the songs and that they've been remastered to clean up the sound. But a significant part of the sound of the band at the time was the big, wet reverb.

I'd be like Phil Collins releasing a big whiz-bang remaster of his solo work and taking all the drum reverb out of "In the Air Tonight". Sure, the original still exists, but why offer something New & Improved while substantially changing the character of the song(s)?

serj and NunoBento like this.
  19. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Because it’s their music and they are free to remix it. It’s like the Beatles remixes...don’t like what Giles did? No problem, play the original version.

MikeManaic61, bhazen and Biscuit1970 like this.
  20. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

It isn’t. The CD/deluxe DVD/Blu-ray is £44.99.

The vinyl is £54.99.

andrewskyDE and Biscuit1970 like this.
  21. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

I didn't buy the physical Later Years boxed set, so I can't vouch for its video content. I did, however, buy the audio portions digitally from Qobuz, which supposedly matched the physical discs in the box.

Anyway, the ADSOT version I got from Qobuz last year matches exactly the 23-song track list being advertised for this new standalone 2-CD set.

I'm guessing that the video content in these new standalone releases also matches identically what was released in last year's big Later Years box.

I think any advertising of bonus tracks not included on previous releases is ONLY talking about the original standalone releases, not what was in the Later Years boxed set. I'm willing to bet that these are nothing more than standalone releases of what was released in the box last year. Hopefully, someone who has the full box can confirm before everyone gets too far out of whack about it.

Uncle Miles and Luisboa like this.
  22. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

These songs are part of the 46-track listing for The Later Years set on HDTracks. Are these the same as what is included on the 2-CD version:

12 Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 1-5) (2019 remix [Live])
    13 Signs of Life (2019 remix [Live])
    14 Learning to Fly (2019 remix [Live])
    15 Yet Another Movie (2019 remix [Live])
    16 Round and Around (2019 remix [Live])
    17 A New Machine Part 1 (2019 remix [Live])
    18 Terminal Frost (2019 remix [Live])
    19 A New Machine Part 2 (2019 remix [Live])
    20 Sorrow (2019 remix [Live])
    21 The Dogs of War (2019 remix [Live])
    22 On the Turning Away (2019 remix [Live])
    23 One of These Days (2019 remix [Live])
    24 Time (2019 remix [Live])
    25 On the Run (2019 remix [Live])
    26 The Great Gig In the Sky (2019 remix [Live])
    27 Wish You Were Here (2019 remix [Live])
    28 Welcome to the Machine (2019 remix [Live])
    29 Us and Them (2019 remix [Live])
    30 Money (2019 remix [Live])
    31 Another Brick In the Wall, Part 2 (2019 remix [Live])
    32 Comfortably Numb (2019 remix [Live])
    33 One Slip (2019 remix [Live])
    34 Run Like Hell (2019 remix [Live])

23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

24. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Yes

noname74 and Uncle Miles like this.
  25. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

Yes, the Later Years audio-only version (physical and digital) has the complete 23 song concert from beginning to end (with all the songs omitted from the original 1988 release now edited back in, in their correct play order), exactly the same as this new standalone CD version purports to have.

The video releases apparently have 16 songs, seemingly omitting several songs.

As I said in my previous post, I can't vouch for any differences in these new BD/DVD releases as compared to what was in the Later Years box, but as for the audio-only version, I can tell you that the remix is incredible, and that while I didn't really enjoy ADSOT originally, since last year's release of the remix, it has become one of my favorite go-to live albums for any band, not just Pink Floyd. If you didn't get it last year, I highly recommend getting this new standalone version!

jeffreybh, fishcane and Uncle Miles like this.