Pink Floyd Delicate Sound Of Thunder 2020 Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sis+erRay, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

Yeah, but those bonus tracks are pretty lame

2. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

You mean there's a "DSOT sucks" thread?

sparkmeister and LordThanos1969 like this.
  3. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Disagree completely

Instant Dharma, Anthrax and NunoBento like this.
  4. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

So can we assume a stand alone Venice & Knebworth to follow?

5. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Assume? No.

Hope for? Oh yah!

Maurice, JulesRules and ARK like this.
  6. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I think PULSE will come next

It's an obvious candidate for the same format (Blu Ray + DVD + 2 CD). Though I'd love to have a Blu Ray + 2 CD only.
    Probably Knebworth and Venice will remain as Later Years box exclusive

7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

INXS Wembley was also filmed show from that era and got a DVD/Blu/UHD 4k disc release earlier this year. Fans said there was little difference between the Blu/4k discs.

8. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

The box set adds five bonus performances to the DVD and BluRay discs.

9. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Love this design.
    [​IMG]

10. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Anything different about the cd edition as compared to the 1988 cd edition?

11. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

New mix and more songs.

12. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Is there any reason to buy this other than for new artwork if you have TLY?

13. Hollowsanctuary

Hollowsanctuary Aujourd’hui, je dis bonjour à la vie

From what I can see the bonus tracks are 2.0 only.

Deek57 likes this.
  14. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Back in the late '80s, when I bought my very first CD player (with a new stereo system,) I bought my first three CD albums at the same time and one of them was the original fatboy 2-CD of this live album. I still have it. I may buy the 2-CD/DVD/Blu-ray box set because I don't own any video of it.

Are any marbles included? ;)

15. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I still have this on Laserdisc. Besides the cut bass work on Money, what are the key differences between the Blu ray and the VHS / Lasersdisc?

The Slipperman likes this.
  16. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

I don't know.

17. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

I do recall the prices.of the breakout sets from The Early Years plummeting after release. I cherry picked what I wanted for £20 per 4 disc set. I think the uk asking price of £45 is reasonable but I expect it to fall by black friday/christmas.

18. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Scarves and marbles, complaints. No scarves and marbles, complaints. One big box, complaints. Individual sets, complaints.

As soon as the TLY box was rumoured, I started saving. With Venice & a re-edited DSOT rumoured early on along with persistent rumours for years along with occasional comments from Nick about a remixed AMLOR, they had my money before any official announcement. I’d mentally subtracted the cost of TDB 20th boxset as I wanted the lossless 5.1 TDB mix on BluRay, having got the standalone lossy DVD already. All so much sophistry and self-delusion, but by the time the set was released, I’d already covered the cost.

Whilst there was arguably less content for the money than TEY box, there was more than one gets in say Macca’s recent Flaming Pie box for only a few quid less than I payed for TLY. I’ve got as much out of TLY years set as I did with TEY and the Immersions before that.

Far from feeling that exclusivity of the TLY set has been broken by releasing a standalone DSOT, I’m happy that those who either couldn’t or wouldn’t pay the silly TLY price tag get to enjoy the amazing job that was done with the film and album. For anyone with a half decent AV system, the re-edited & restored concert film is astonishing in its visual clarity, with the 5.1 audio mix easily its equal. Stands right alongside Andy Jackson’s work on David’s 5.1 solo albums and concert films.

Many were salty too last year that the only way to get any of the albums from the set was to buy the downloads. Well, here is the full, expanded DSOT album on CD! There’s Signs Of Life before Learning To Fly. There’s Welcome To The Machine after Wish You Were Here, and so on. The £40-£50 or so being asked for the deluxe 2CD, BR+DVD box is pretty sweet for what is offered.

CDs offered for those that didn’t want downloads of the expanded DSOT album last year? Check.
    Re-edited and remixed concert film available standalone? Check.
    Vinyl 4LP box of the expanded album? Check.

The more of the TLY set being broken out and made separately at more affordable prices gives more people chance to enjoy what those who could afford TLY have been enjoying for the past year, the better. No one is removing TLY box from my shelf and breaking it down, denying me access. Heck I’m only half tempted to buy the new deluxe set for the book and graphic design of the set alone - I’m really impressed.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  19. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I agree, PULSE will likely come next. It was a big success with the album topping the charts in both US and UK and the DVD doing the same 12 years later.

PULSE was also likely to be first Pink Floyd connection for many early millennials like myself. That’s where me and my friends first heard any material from Dark Side Of The Moon and of course, Gilmour’s playing blew my mind. The album served as a part of the bridge from being hooked on to late 80s /early 90s rock (GNR, Metallica, Nirvana, etc.) to exploring music from the 70s and before.

In hindsight, we all wish (including Gilmour) that they had shot Pulse on film. Moreover, we all wish they had shot few different nights. But even so, the Blu-ray upgrade will be nice - the new edit, lossless surround track and having the whole show on single disc.

20. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

I have it on record so doubt if I'll go for this one.

21. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

The pulse on my Pulse cover has stopped

22. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

There's several youtube tutorials. EU copies are tougher to fix than US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuj2NL4lZks
    German language, but the packaging differences may help.

squittolo likes this.
  23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Maybe they have removed the mullets digitally.

24. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Au contraire! The mullet is a selling point for the new set. It's been enhanced! :bdance:

25. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

No. I certainly won’t be.