Edward G Robinson

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mike s in nyc, Sep 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

One of the greatest of all time, he should've gotten the Oscar for his great performance as[Dathan- The Ten Commandments]anytime one of his flicks is on...I'm watching!!

Matthew Tate and longdist01 like this.
  2. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Billy Crystal on EGR . . .

3. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

4. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Grand Slam (1967) is one of the great heist films.

longdist01 likes this.
  5. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

10 cheers for Soylent Green.
    Love it own it watch it every year in October.

apesfan and Spadeygrove like this.
  6. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

Always liked Eddie G in The Cincinnati Kid with Steve McQueen, Ann Margaret and Minnie Moore.

7. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Don't forget Tuesday!

Hardy Melville and Spadeygrove like this.
  8. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Matthew Tate and jwoverho like this.
  9. Maranatha5585

The brilliant Edward G Robinson was snubbed by the Academy until this honorary Oscar was given to him
    posthumously following his last picture ''Soylent Green'' w/ Charlton Heston. He was told he would be receiving the award.. but passed prior to the awards ceremony.

10. Solaresque

Solaresque Forum Resident

Love that guy!

11. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

That makes it even more powerful knowing that now. Something tells me that the character of Saul was pretty close to Robinson in real life: cultured, compassionate and principled.

longdist01, ArpMoog, arley and 2 others like this.
  12. Maranatha5585

Bingo! Spot on... :righton:

longdist01 and arley like this.
  13. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

We grew up on instant coffee. Clearly we were doing something wrong.

14. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I watched "The Whole Town's Talking" (1935) recently.

Great story and quite clever. Edward G is really a delight, especially as the meek and shy Arthur Jones. That kind of character goes agains his stereotypical gangster image and he is entirely convincing in it. That part where he was tipsy in the office had me fooled. I wonder if he was actually drunk during that scene!

"If it takes a few swigs to bring out that personality of yours, I'll buy you a case of Scotch."

Twilight Time put out a Blu-ray of this and the picture looks great. The split screen effects when Mannion and Jones are on the screen together are at times VERY well done. While some scenes clearly use projection or another actor from the back, scenes like this are seemless and I'm not ever sure how they did it. Bravo!

[​IMG]

15. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I don’t think the wonderful 1942 crime comedy, Larceny, Inc., has been mentioned. Robinson is wonderful in it.

mike s in nyc likes this.
  16. He gave a powerful, moving performance in Soylent Green.

17. Timothy Aborn

Timothy Aborn Forum Resident

Great actor.

mike s in nyc likes this.
  18. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

5 weeks I was, shall we say, incapacitated and spent ten days mostly sleeping and watching some really bad TV. Anytime you wanna watch a really terrible Eddy movie, try Brother Orchid.

19. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Back to the book "Kibitzer", I recently found a copy of this and breezed through it. That was a fun read! You can easily see Edward G fast talking with confidence as Lazarus in the play. They really nail the ups and downs of watching the stock market, particularly as a newcomer watching his stock on the rise for the first time. It seems like this was written just a few months before the stock market crash in 1929. He and Jo Swerling also teamed up for "The Whole Town's Talking", which I posted about just above.

It's too bad that Edward G Robinson wasn't enough of a name in 1930 to star in the movie. It is available on Archive.org, though named "The Busybody". I haven't watched it yet but I will soon:

The Busybody 1930 Harry Green, Mary Brian, Neil Hamilton, Albert Gran, Eugene Pallette : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Maranatha5585 likes this.
  20. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

My favorites of Robinson have been The Cincinnati Kid (also excellent Steve McQueen) and Scarlett Street (with the excellent and imo not adequately remembered Joan Bennett), but Key Largo has to be the best. In a fantastic cast Robinson is right at home.

21. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

What! It’s one of my favorite movies of his.

Simon A, Maranatha5585 and Hot Ptah like this.
  22. Jim N.

Jim N. Just another day in what was once Paradise...

He stole the picture from McQueen just like he stole the final pot from The Kid. Great supporting cast- Karl Malden, Rip Torn, Joan Blondell, Jack Weston, Cab Calloway. Jeff Corey. Milton Seltzer.

Simon A, fr in sc and harmonica98 like this.
  23. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Hi
    I think he was an incredibly versatile actor, one of the best ever. He had a tremendous range.
    I like all you listed except I haven't seen Larceny Inc.
    My favorite movies by him are Scarlet Street, The Red House, and The Stranger.
    The first I saw him in was ironically Brother Orchid (ironic as it parodies his early image and the older gangster movies to a point - though the movie has a lot of heart, and I love it)
    Another great one is Our Vines Have Tender Grapes.
    And of the two you had on your dvr at the time of your writing, I've only seen Kid Galahad, which I thought very, very good.
    The Red House has become my favorite movie of his (I never thought something would top Scarlet Street for me of his), though I think the The Stranger and Soylent Green have the best acting I've seen by him.

Maranatha5585 and mike s in nyc like this.
  24. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I thought it was worse than the virus :laugh:

EddieMann likes this.
  25. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have watched Brother Orchid at least ten times. I love it and think it is a great film.

Maranatha5585 and EddieMann like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.