Pink Floyd Delicate Sound Of Thunder 2020 Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sis+erRay, Sep 24, 2020.

1. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

I was very disappointed Pulse still wasn’t converted to widescreen...

...especially when they managed it on the HDPink Floyd channel on You Tube.

That’s how I watch it, despite owing TLY.

St. Troy and Paul_T like this.
  2. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Out of interest, have they been able to do that without cropping or stretching the picture?

3. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

The problem with converting PULSE to Widescreen (or any 4:3) is that you lose information.

I'd rather have the full 4:3 than cropped 16:9

4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yeay!!

5. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Even if one is ok with cropping the picture top and bottom, or doing some vertical pan and scanning to fit an arbitrary 16:9 display aspect ratio (I’m not, OAR purist and all), the standard def video locked source material would lose even more resolution. One could try upscaling/interpolation of the subsequent cropped picture but the results would be so-so at best.

Other than going back in time and shooting the whole thing again on film, the current BluRay is about as good as the Pulse footage is ever going to look. On the plus side, the less aggressive video compression and greater bit rate of BluRay has far less compression artefacts and much more stable colours relative to the 2006 DVD, making it a huge improvement over what we had previously. The blow out/blooming whites of the stage lights etc are all part of the original SD video capture alas and there is no detail there to retrieve.

Pinknik, Big Pasi and Bink like this.
  6. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Why would anyone need a tutorial to change a battery, a five year old could work out how to do it.
    I found nothing tough about changing mine (4/5 times now) it took me about a minute, if that.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    squittolo likes this.
  7. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Agreed. I have been watching the blu rays from The Early Years sets as well as the original Live in Pompeii film over the last few days and I actually really like the 4:3 ratio given that was how they were filmed.

coffeetime likes this.
  8. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

Yes, I have checked these out previously. I'd mess it up guaranteed.

9. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Pulse was unfortunately filmed on videotape and barely looks acceptable on DVD. They didn’t record it with film as they figured it was only being released to tape and laserdisc.
    Not very forward thinking for a band who had all the technology in the world at their disposal and were playing their last stand.

10. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Over my cold dead SAX!

[​IMG]

NEVER!

squittolo, St. Troy, Jam757 and 10 others like this.
  11. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Yes please. And with the audio version of "One of These Days" (originally on cassette/LP) somewhere in there. Hannover is great, but the version I speak of is IMO the definitive version. Oh by the way, here it is:

12. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

That's a rather facile response. Of course it's their music, and of course they're free to do whatever they like with it.

St. Troy likes this.
  13. Score17

Score17 Forum Resident

Think I’ll need to get this one. My first Floyd show ever was this tour, 1987, Meadowlands. Slept outside to get tickets (the good old days!). Was completely blown away by the show as a high school kid, amazing memories all around.

Hesitated buying the current vinyl as its not the complete show...but with this new version having the whole set (+1 that wasn’t played on the 2nd leg) and allegedly with a better sounding remix, I can’t see not dropping the $70+ to acquire it.

'05Train likes this.
  14. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Not all Pulse boxes are the same. Some are easy, others next to impossible.

15. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

DSOT was, in my view, the outstanding part of the Later Years box. So its great to see that be released as a standalone. I used to play the Laserdisc quite a bit and the Blu Ray is superior to the previous version.

jeffreybh, coffeetime and fishcane like this.
  16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Yeah. It looks much better without the used typeface.

squittolo and Geordiepete like this.
  17. I wonder if Scott Page regrets that look. He's a solid player, and he's a pretty nice guy. Why he ever felt the need to go with that hairstyle, I'll never know.

[​IMG]

18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I don't think he looked that bad with mullets. Hey, it was simply the 80s!

19. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Man look at that tonearm swaying, off center press!

Billy Infinity and LivingForever like this.
  20. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

They are social distanced too. ;)

21. And someone eating Rice Krispies - Snap, Crackle and Pop!

Billy Infinity and fishcane like this.
  22. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

If you figured it out that fast, you're in the minority. I did as well, and I was 19, but most people don't have the technical know how to figure that out. When my light went out the first time, I figured it would be difficult to fix. I opened it up expecting some convoluted way in which that light blinked. To my surprise, it was simply batteries that slip out. I mean, I know people who don't know how to change the batteries in a TV remote, so this would be string theory to people like that.

23. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Exactly why I want a digital version! :)

JulesRules and CDS AudioFiles like this.
  24. I believe there is a version of this on ATFOS CD8 which is sourced from the Pulse Cassette rather than the LP.

Edit: Pulse Soundscape on the above CD also from same source.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Billy Infinity likes this.
  25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

When there is also coming a p.u.l.s.e box set later, I hope they finally gonna add the complete 'Soundscape' to a CD (or Blu-ray).