Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

I had the opportunity to compare side by side the Naim NDX 2 and a Sonos box feeding a DAC 0.1X. Both feeding my Meishu Tonmeister. I think the difference is really the DACs and in this case the SONOS-DAC 0.1X was a winner, showing lots more clarity and less listening fatigue.

Acapella48 and jonwoody like this.
  2. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

I've used an Auralic Aries Mini for 5 years now and love it. Outputting to my AN Dac-3 sig and with the Sbooster LPS feeding it I've had trouble free streaming and excellent sound since I've owned it. You very rarely see the Mini on the used market it's that good a bargain and I would imagine the newer higher end stuff sounds fantastic. I can at least speak to Auralic's reliability which seems top notch and the SQ I'm getting which I am very happy with.

Shiver and Acapella48 like this.
  3. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Oops. Reading too fast. I notice you aren't looking for an integrated. There is the Unico DM. I'm sure it'll power most speakers no problem, but not sure about stable into 2 ohms or how easy it is to switch voltage. I would guess it sounds very good.

Parasound is probably a good bet. A lot of people likely own that amp, or another from that brand, and would be able to relate.

4. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

Interesting. I looked at the Sonos connect a while back. I think it's been replaced by the Sonus Port. I wonder if I could connect the Sonos to the DAC in CD 2.1x/MKII.

5. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

I find it interesting that Parasound is mentioned. My local Audio Note dealership only sells tube amplification--mostly Audio Note and Synthesis (Italian) and his own custom made amps, linestages and phonostages. But, in one of his demonstration room he has a Parasound amplifier. The reason? A number of customers want to hear a comparison with a solid state amp. He asked around and got recommendations for the Parasound as a good solid state amp. He uses it to prove to customers the superiority of tube amps and to prove that the extra power from solid state is not really needed.

I am also a tube guy. Of the solid state stuff I've heard, I like Ayre and Accuphase. I also like First Watt, but those low-powered amps have somewhat limited applicability (high efficiency, high impedance speakers). It has been quite a while since I've heard them, but, I liked the Lavardin integrated that I heard.

6. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Thanks, Jon :) Yes, they are on springs. The stiffness of which can be modified to match the speaker weight.

jonwoody likes this.
  7. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

I seem to recall that you compared an unmodded and a modded Sonos box, Bob? And that the modded version sounded better on the AN DAC?

I would agree with you that the DAC matters more but IME to unleash the potential from your DAC, you need to focus on the bits you feed the DAC, too. There's a reason that AN sell drives of different levels...

As to Acapella's question, I have previously had a single computer with Audirvana/JRiver but my experiences from that probably aren't relevant any longer--that was during the stone age of streaming :laugh: I have now gone the Roon way where I use a older MacBook Pro for the Roon core and a custom-built Win10 PC as the endpoint. If that were to break down, I would probably look into something the like the Sonore Optical Rendu.

Fred Hansen and jonwoody like this.
  8. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

Well, we've just purchased a new home and this will be the perfect time to finally address my AN-E Speaker Kit-04 (AlNiCo) and AN-E stand situation. I will have suspended wood floors at the new place (same as current place). Right now I have no fill in the stands, no coupling between speaker and stands and cardboard between stand and floor. Never got around to trying anything different because they sound great. So what is the latest word on this? Fill or no fill? 3/4 filled? Which filling? Blue-tack under the speakers and brass washers under the stands? I recall a SHTV member was using some type of DIY sandwich between the speakers/stands. Without advice, I'd probably go 3/4" aquarium stand with Herbie square fat dots and brass washers. But definitely open to this group's expertise.

9. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Aquarium stand? What are those? Sorry if I have missed smt in the thread ... Anyway, based on my latest experience with decoupling, I would also go with some fat dots from Herbie. I also have suspended wood floors.

J.Uotila likes this.
  10. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

That's true. The Sonos box (Connect OR Port) sounds better with the Wired4Sound reclocking board (and better power supply). The Naim test was with the mod.

No question. In this case I was only commenting on the AN DAC versus the Naim DAC. Both seem to do a fine job delivering bits to the DAC. And yes, I have had the opportunity to try the CDT-2, CDT-4, and CDT-5 in my system in the same session. I can only say that you get what you pay for.

Encore likes this.
  11. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

BTW, with my Verity speakers I got a big improvement when I put Soundcare Superspikes under my previous Verity speakers. Per spike they are only a little more expensive than Herbie’s stud gliders, and they also slide easily over the floor.

12. onemug

onemug Forum Resident

Been using a Connect + DAC for years and very happy with it. Now using the Port the same way. Both have a 'Digital out' to hook up to your DAC of choice.

The Port is reported to have a better DAC in it than the Connect. I didn't hear a day/night difference... I think the Port is a little better.

Acapella48 likes this.
  13. Sheppard

Sheppard Well-Known Member

I used blue tac for several years and and was satisfied with it. I then tried switching to Herbie's fat dots for a while because blue tac becomes compressed over time and it becomes very difficult to remove the speaker from the stand when this happens. However, the fat dots significantly muddled the bass and compromised imaging so I switched back to blue tac.

Recently, I switched to using a combination of blue tac and Herbie's Grungebuster Dots:
    Grungebuster Dots

The blue tack and Grungebuster Dots are not stacked - they are placed adjacent to each other, 4 of each per speaker at the corners.

This combination seems to get the benefits of the blue tac (coupling the speaker to my sand-filled stands) while preventing the blue tac from compressing too much over time.

YMMV. Hope this helps!

Sugar Man, slcaudiophile and Encore like this.
  14. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

I agree that the DAC's performance is key. I will not be using an Ethernet connection.

Considering that the Sonos / AN DAC 0.1x combo with it's 16 Bit Philips TDA 1543 chip out performing the NAIM NDX 2, with it's 24 Bit Burr-Brown PCM1792A chip and costing almost 4 1/2 times as much as the AN DAC is definitely an eye opener.

In addition, the NDX 2 is capable of decoding all HD audio formats at up to 32 bits/384 kHz or DSD128, whereas the AN DAC 0.1x will down convert Hi-Res files to CD Redbook standard.

Both the CD 2.1x/II and the Sonos Port have digital out, so connecting it to a Sonos Port wouldn't work.

@NapaBob, how did you connect the Sonos to the DAC 0.1x , digital coax cable, USB, RCA?

Still, a one-box solution like the NAIM or Auralic would be ideal.

15. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

Digital Coax. I tried, at one point, the USB out from a Roon Nucleus. I don't remember the details, but I didn't like the sound quality.

BTW, if you plan to have more than one end point (i.e. multiple rooms), be aware that Roon talks to Sonos boxes with their native protocol. Mostly that is good as there are lots of features. But, it unfortunately also means that you can't group a Sonos box with something like the Naim. Learned that one the hard way.

Acapella48 likes this.
  16. Mulroydave

Mulroydave Forum Resident

see this post for the sandwich discs, they work well

New Audio Note UK AN-E/SEC Silver Signature speakers on their way from the UK.

Fred Hansen and Sugar Man like this.
  17. Three quid

Three quid Chief Eggplant

18. Mulroydave

Mulroydave Forum Resident

19. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

Aquarium sand, not stand. I agree, that it would likely not be an improvement to place my speakers on an aquarium stand.

20. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

:laugh: :righton:

21. finn

finn Forum Resident

If your wallet can bear the cost, no.9 lead shot is superior as a fill material, crushed garnet is next and sand is far behind these. You need to apply a bead of bluetack at the base of each column in order for no fill material dust to vibrate out over time and yellow "blue tack " is the better material to interface between speaker and stand and yes, I have done comparisons, why else would I buy 10 packets of kids coloured blue tack just to get the one strip of yellow.

22. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

Thanks @finn. Very helpful. Any recommendation on how much to fill each stand? I've seen many recommend 3/4 full.

23. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

I would just experiment if I were you. On suspended wooden floors my preference is for lead shot and sand for a toy box. I think that they sterilize it so nothing grows in it. I forget the correct name for it but it's quite affordable and you can find it at Lowes or Home Depot. Of course the lead shot has to be sourced elsewhere.

I have small dots of (white) blu-tak which I bought at a dollar store, holding my speakers to the stands. I am using GAIAA supports under each corner of each stand. Terrific product.

Fred Hansen and finn like this.
  24. finn

finn Forum Resident

To the top.
    I have used Aurio Pro-Max devices when running hifi shows but this is generally down to paper thin walls and no hard corners. One day I will build a house deep in the woods and the only prerequisite will be one room with corners spaced 5 mtrs apart and those corners and wall built from solid blocks of sandstone 2 ft thick and bolts protruding from the concrete slab so I can bolt down the stand when in position. Nothing like mass to make a speaker react in a pistonic way.

spartree and Don Parkhurst like this.
  25. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

Don't forget the motor/generator, using some of the PSU4 technology, to get a perfect sine wave at constant voltage.

finn likes this.