Listenin' To Country Music & Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ando here, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Randy Travis is the last great connection to the vintage era of country music. A true giant

2. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Playing a pressing of 14 More of Hank Williams' Greatest Hits - Vol. III in absolutely stunning condition! So now I have the first one and third, have to find the second one!

How many more of the Greatest Hits comps did MGM do in this series?

3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

And a real legend.

r2rcollector and melstapler like this.
  4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Mono?

5. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

No, sadly. It's the Stereo version. The first one I have is also Stereo, and that one has some sentimental connection for me.

6. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Colter Wall has some good music.

funhouse, Tord, rob68 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

This one just uploaded to Youtube, 'Influences: George Jones & Randy Travis' from 1991.
    The camaraderie between these two guys is intoxicating in a great way!
    George is probably in the best shape of his career, here he is laughing and joking and having a great time.
    His vocals are as good as ever!
    They sit around talk and play little pieces of songs they enjoy with mistakes and all.
    The mistakes make it an even better performance for me.....
    The band comes in at times to compliment early on before a full stage performance, and they are spot on.
    This is the kind of stuff that should be made available on DVD.
    This shows why both George Jones and Randy Travis are considered Legends.

8. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Vincent Neil Emerson "Bad Side of Luck" ...I really like this one

9. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Vincent Neil Emerson's "7 Come 11" is another good one

10. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

'Fourteen Minnutes Old' by Doug Stone

rob68 likes this.
  11. melstapler

'These Lips Don't Know How To Say Goodbye' by Doug Stone

rob68 likes this.
  12. melstapler

'Anna' by John Hogan

13. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

"Bob Fudge" Colter Wall

rob68 and Tord like this.
  14. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Just reading that Justin Bieber has been nominated for 3 CMA awards!
    :rant:
    Justin Bieber earns his first-ever CMA nominations, thanks to "10,000 Hours" - Music News - ABC News Radio

'Justin Bieber's collaboration with country/pop duo Dan + Shay has now paid off in multiple nominations for one of country music's highest honors: the CMA Awards, handed out annually by the Country Music Association.

The trio's hit single, "10,000 Hours," has received three nods: Single of the Year, Music Video of the Year -- the video co-starred all three men's wives -- and Musical Event of the Year, which honors recordings by artists who don't normally work together.'

In my opinion, it's really disappointing to read this.
    It all sounds like a marketing and promoting ploy and it misses the mark of what the CMA's ought to be about.
    All those genuine Country music artists out there are busting their knackers to try and get recognition,
    and in walks Justin Bieber, who has had no association with Country music whatsover.
    What has he done earn his place in the realm of this association?
    Many, many artists spend their lives creating and performing great Country music, and never get a nomination, let alone an award.
    It's just another step away from what defines what Country music is and what it stands for.
    I'm not anti-Bieber, he obviously has talent and many people enjoy his music.
    If he changed his direction and started cutting Country albums and doing Country shows, I might not feel this way.
    It feels very 'off' to me.....

Tord and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  15. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

16. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Slim Whitman "Indian Love Call"

17. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I love this album. I've been previewing tracks from it on Tidal for a couple of months. This might be my favorite album of the year.

[​IMG]
    Blue Eyes, The Harlot, The Queer, The Pusher & Me
    Waylon Payne
    • Released on 9/11/20

Exile On My Street likes this.
  18. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Merle Haggard - "Movin' On":

Exile On My Street likes this.
  19. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Hs any one listened to this. Seriously I think this is great stuff!

20. melstapler

In 1991, London signed to RCA Nashville and released the enjoyable major label studio album "Do It Right." London's neo-traditionalist country style has been compared to the likes of Randy Travis, Keith Whitley, David Frizzell, Lefty Frizzell and Merle Haggard.

'If We Can't Do It Right'

For more information, please visit the all-purpose Eddie London appreciation thread: Eddie London appreciation thread

Music experts such as @Rick Bartlett @AlmanacZinger @BradOlson @The Killer @Mr. H and @McLover may recall this album.

21. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

Would you guys call Lyle Lovett country?

MikaelaArsenault and melstapler like this.
  22. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

He actually had a Country Top 10 hit with Cowboy Man.

MikaelaArsenault and melstapler like this.
  23. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

He does sound spookily like the late great Keith Whitley, you know Whitley is another singer who has a pitiful collection of stuff available, couldn't someone do a packed 2 CD or a 4 CD box of his stuff.

24. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Y'know I was just thinking how odd it is that Johnny Lee is hardly represented on CD (or digital downloads). He only had one comp during the pre-Loudness Wars CD era and maybe one or two more since. I looked around for digital downloads too and he has few titles available at 320 kbps. Bah!

25. melstapler

Definitely. Johnny's major label recordings remain largely overlooked and OOP in any format. His archival live performance from Gilley's is an enjoyable radio broadcast recording and the more recent "Live At Billy Bob's" disc has a high energy level with superb musicianship. Johnny has some decent private pressing titles which are available at his merch table during concerts. I've seen Johnny in some small venues and it's deceptive because the line at his merch table was very long and it took a while to get through. In some venues, I suspect he probably earns more from merch sales than even ticket sales! Those private pressing titles include a number of re-recordings comps which are enjoyable, in addition to some albums of new material which did get some distribution in the U.S. and not to mention, his collections of seasonal material. "You Ain't Never Been To Texas" is a strong comeback album of new material and the weaker "The 13th of July" should still be available as well. I'm not sure if "Emotions" is still available, but it's a mixed bag and may appeal more to the die-hard JL fans.

The Killer likes this.