Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Hakala

Tom Hakala Forum Resident

I have never understood Abbey Road. What's so special about it? I know many love it, RYM rates it the best Beatles album. Many of my musical heros say Abbey Road is a masterpiece. Educate me, please!
    I love Rubber, Revolver, Sgt and I think White Album is also pretty damn great. Should I just buy this vinyl and listen to it 10 times to get it?

Mister Charlie and DK Pete like this.
  2. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

Yes, buy it yourself. Because me liking it has no effect on whether or not you will like it.

3. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

It’s one of my least fave Beatles albums and i’m a huge fan, so there you go. Generally 69 is my “bottom” Beatles year. Still love it but if i had to rank it.....

Tom Hakala likes this.
  4. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

My friend A only likes pre-acid Beatles. He tried to give Abbey Road a go, and promptly dismissed it as rubbish. I told him that I hope he steps on a Lego.

5. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

While I have 5 Beatles albums in my personal, "ten best of all time" list, I don't even place Abbey Road in the overall top ten. I've been an "obsessive" for about 58 of my 63 years in this life...I always thought "Abbey Road" fell into the "great album" category but not in the "greatest" category.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  6. aladdinziggydogs

aladdinziggydogs Forum Resident

Brought the single disc remix today for a fiver so looking forward to giving it a spin later with a couple of ciders!

7. Tom Hakala

Tom Hakala Forum Resident

Quoting myself here:
    Ok, it took me a long while. Today I fell in love with Abbey Road. Side B is a masterpiece. I'm a fan of the new Giles remixes!

8. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

Giles is the real 5th Beatle it seems these days.

Man at C&A likes this.
  9. Gradese

Gradese Forum Resident

Giles is obviously nowhere near the genius his father was.... I hope he knows it, but I doubt it.
    Normally he and the Beatles would never be mentioned in the same sentence, but just for being his father's son - et voila.

10. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Jeeze... That was brutal

11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't understand how he can sit there being comfortable overriding his father's most famous and acclaimed work. Of course things are going to sound different, not necessarily better, using technology from 50 years later, but crystal clear clarity isn't everything. It's just a cash grab and an excuse to release crappy outtakes that they couldn't get away with releasing as a separate album as they're so crappy or dull. Barely everyone was complaining about George Martin's Abbey Road mix.

Chris M likes this.
  12. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

I don’t understand how jealous and brutal some folks are. Giles Martin is a scapegoat.
    Old Beatles-nerds sitting in their chair and pointing fingers and moan over their wasted years. Pathetic.

goer, Ephi82, jrdiandrea and 14 others like this.
  13. Kim Olesen

Jeeez. If i was asked to be on a Beatles remix team i would not decline. Why should Giles.
    Man the senseless bashing gets old.

Easy solution: Listen to your favorite mix. There i solved that for you.

goer, Ephi82, jrdiandrea and 27 others like this.
  14. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

I think everybody's on board...obviously, they've all known him since he was a child. He's not "overriding" anything, he's using superior (in theory, anyway) technology to enhance his father's work. You may think he's not doing a good job, but "overriding" doesn't make any sense as a criticism.

Especially since Paul's typically been so open to tinkering with things. Didn't he say he wished Geils had gone further out when he heard the Cirque du Soliel Love project?

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

We're allowed an opinion. Sorry it doesn't chime with yours but it's every bit as considered and valid. I have listened to all the new mixes and am looking forward to seeing what he does with Let It Be.

I also like the Pet Sounds stereo remix and quite like Giles Goats Head Soup mix.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Then why weren't they done when George Martin was alive? The fact is George Martin's mixes of Abbey Road, The White Album and Sgt. Pepper are now out of print. Unless you get the dwindling new old stock, if you want to buy new copies of these albums on any physical format you get the Giles mix. That's definitely overriding his father's work. A version that three major contributors never heard. Though it's far from totally his fault.

Love was great and a totally different thing. Very enjoyable.

17. Kim Olesen

Ther is voicing an opinion, and then there is senseless bashing. Fyi i am often in disagreement with the choices taken by the remix team. But i don’t use any given oppertunity to thrash Giles. Some do. And it goes into petty territory with namecalling. Baby Giles etc etc etc. And it gets old. Just like the Whoopie thrashing because she dared to say yes to appear in Eight Days A Week. Gets old.

18. BillyBudapest'sPajamas

BillyBudapest'sPajamas Forum Resident

Long may Giles continue his work at the desk. Bring on Rubber Soul, Revolver and the rest.

19. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

A bit off-topic, but I would love to hear a new Rubber Soul remix. The original stereo mix doesn’t stand up against the mono mix, in my opinion. The less said about the 1987 remix the better.

BeatleJWOL and John Bliss like this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've no problem with Whoopi. Wasn't she at the concerts? I didn't watch that film even though I own it! On the face of it, it doesn't appear to have much new to offer but its probably great for the less obsessive fans!

I've nothing really against Giles really. He's just remixed the wrong albums and it doesn't sit comfortably. He might do a great job on Revolver and Rubber Soul in time. Also, if he strikes a good balance between Let It Be and Let It Be... Naked he could produce a definitive version of that material.

FJFP and Kim Olesen like this.
  21. Kim Olesen

But hey, the 87 mix was done by brilliant George Martin....... (irony intended). I like the 87 mix btw.

22. Kim Olesen

This i agree with. Though i think i like more of his remixes than you do. I liked about 50% of the WA remixes. But i disliked almost all of AR i must admit.

He did a wonderful remix of Let It Be on 1+

Dan The Man1 and Man at C&A like this.
  23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Yeah, they weren't really necessary either but I don't think they're the disasters they're made out to be. These (Rubber Soul and Help!) are the only earlier Beatles albums I've managed to get original UK stereo vinyl pressings of and they both sound fine. Not much is changed on the remixes. I wish they didn't have the digital echo, but they're OK.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Some of his 1+ remixes are superb. Paperback Writer is magnificent.

I don't mind this stuff being remixed at all, but changing the original albums doesn't sit comfortably. As the earlier stereo mixes are well known to have been a lower priority and rushed, I look forward to what he does with those. The monos were definitive anyway and he's hardly going to do a new mono mix.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  25. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Just listened to Abbey Rosd again last night. I think it’s great. Not as good as the White Album, but pretty great. When I go back to the original it sounds thin.

billnunan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.