Levelling turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by woodpigeon, Sep 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any advice on levelling a turntable with a bubble level? The bubble level I am using to level my turntable seems to read differently from moment to moment and depending what part of the platter or plinth it sits on. I can’t work out whether the level is defective or I am.

2. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Highly unlikely the level is defective, you are probably placing weight in the wrong place therefore changing the reading every time.
    Get one of these and the weight will be always centered where you want it for measurements.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Agitater likes this.
  3. woodpigeon

Thanks for the reply. Which weight? The level is a little plastic one like this: Amari Bubble Level

4. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

The way you described the problem I thought you were using a larger straight level. The one I recommended is a clamp so you put it in the spindle and you can level exactly what you should be leveling which is the platter.

woodpigeon likes this.
  5. woodpigeon

Gotcha, thank you. Might be able to do a similar trick by stacking up an extra mat and the 45 adapter.

6. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Put your level on a flat surface and look closely where the bubble is. Twist the level 180 degrees and observe if the bubble has moved. If it has its not an accurate level.

33na3rd, BrentB, Oelewapper and 2 others like this.
  7. woodpigeon

Wildly inaccurate by that measure.

Leonthepro likes this.
  8. Leonthepro

There you go. Return the level and get a new one.

BrentB and woodpigeon like this.
  9. woodpigeon

Next obvious question: who makes accurate levels? Preferably not terribly expensive ones.

10. Leonthepro

Not sure, but you can probably open up one in a store after purchasing test it right away.

woodpigeon likes this.
  11. If you want absolute true use a weight and line, like the ancient Egyptian (and Greek, and Roman) masons did.

12. And get thrown out of the store when the next one varies ...

13. The OP has a Technics SL-1500C TT.
    Considering that the TT does not have a suspension, is it necessary to give advise based upon TTs with suspension?

14. Wayne Nielson

Wayne Nielson Forum Resident

My Viborg record weight with a bubble level in it is not accurate. It's bubble level portion was not glued into the cavity correctly and gives a false reading of level.

I use a trusted Audio Technica level. I place a couple of 45 rpm adapters on the spindle until they bury the spindle, then place the AT on top of them. Adjust until level.

ubiknik, woodpigeon and rcsrich like this.
  15. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

16. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

I found this one to be accurate: AT615a - Turntable Level | Audio-Technica
    The large bubble level from Ortofon (not that plastic one - it's crap) is accurate too and a bit more sensitive than smaller bubble levels like the at615a.

At least, that's my experience, YMMV.

17. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

There's really no need to complicate things needlessly. You just need to place a small torpedo level on the platter and take two readings at 90 degrees of each other. When I was using theodolites the small bubble was only used for rough leveling and the horizontal tube bubble level, similar to the one found in a torpedo level was used for fine leveling using exactly the same technique I described.

18. Leonthepro

If none work then theres no point in buying there anyway. I purchased mine after asking the owner if it was a reliable product, he said yes but it was defective. Would have saved me time and effort if I didnt have to return it and just open it up there instead.

19. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Ace Hardware has 3.49 USD appliance levels that are about 1.5" in diameter. Everyone I know who has bought one says they are accurate.

Technocentral likes this.
  20. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

This. 100%. This is how I do it. No issues. No problems.

woodpigeon likes this.
  21. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

22. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

The little bubble level in the link is basically useless for levelling a turntable platter.

woodpigeon and Benzion like this.
  23. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

@Uglyversal posted above about the Viborg spindle weight/level. They’re excellent. I’ve been using a Viborg level for years to do a couple of hundred setups.

Always level the platter using only the mat you’ll be using to play LPs.

woodpigeon and rcsrich like this.
  24. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

woodpigeon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.