Sign O' the Times - Prince (super deluxe edition)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, May 29, 2020.

1. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

Would be interesting to see what people would come up with as "their" 16 tracks from the original album + Vault - I've only played the Remaster of the album so far from the box set (love what they've done with it) and nearly all of the Vault tracks will be new to me. But on first listen I'd forgotten how much I love "It" and it sounds great in this new remaster so it would be one of the last tracks I'd lose! :).

There's so much there, and it's so diverse that reckon we'd get a lot of different choices for which 16 make the cut, let alone the sequencing of those 16.

2. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

The label is Irukandji Music Ltd. and claims to be from Japan.

The audio in the YouTube video sounds exactly like the boot I just mentioned. It's not perfect, as I can tell a small amount of NR was applied to "Rebirth," and there are a couple tape dropouts. Other than distortion on a few tracks (which sound like tape overload), it's a really nice sounding disc. The spectral analysis also reveals that the frequencies extend almost all the way to 22K, so clearly this was made and played back on a high quality machine. I'm not sure if cassettes have this much frequency range, and I don't hear any "swishy" azimuth issues on most tracks, so perhaps it comes from a better source than a cassette.

The version posted is the same as what's on the 2015 Crystal Ball boot. The slowed down ending definitely says "welcome to the crystal ball." You can clearly hear it (close to normal speed) if you take the slowed down part and speed it up by 55%.

fishyboots and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. RRB

RRB Forum Resident

suggested that the Parade Super Deluxe also include The Family album, both remastered. As for a vault disc...release the Family album with Prince on vocals. ALso release it with High Fashion with bassline back in, Desire the faster tempo. Those 2 albums sound similar in their use of Clair Fisher's strings.

4. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I'd immediately drop Adore and Beautiful Night. Replace the latter with Rebirth of the Flesh, and....well, I need to listen to more Vault tracks first...

EG.

5. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Someone upthread pointed to the Prince.org description of "Dream Factory", which pointed out that "Movie Star" made it to the 1998 3CD "Crystal Ball". I was previously moaning because MS was another all-time favorite boot track I was disappointed wasn't on SOTT. Well, Tidal is streaming the 1998 3CD CB so yay me (and that person with the pointer upthread...)

6. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I like Prince.

7. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

RR Auction: Past Auction Item

"$58,786.53 (includes buyer's premium)"

This is the main reason why I suspect any circulating versions are fakes and not sourced from this LP.

"It remains unclear exactly how many copies of this Camille pressing exist, but our consignor speculates that it may be as few as 25."

fishyboots, Matthew Tate and Carl80 like this.
  8. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Not good enough. You need to LOVE him ;)

EG.

9. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

To peeps in the know, havnt listened to that Crystal Ball 98 much but just listened to Crucial on there cause I’ve been listening to it on SOTT, is the one on SOTT the original or did Prince re do the lyrics on CB 98? Much prefer the version on SOTT Vault tracks.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. hiterss

hiterss Forum Resident

Im kinda young so I started listening to prince since 2015 maybe '14...anyway one they I played dirty mind in it just clicked so hard ... that LP I can play it without skipping a song, that's when I know I love an album....
    I can only imagine what it was like listening for this LP for the first time in 1980 :D

ultron9 and Joker to the thief like this.
  11. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

The new remastered peach vinyl sounds awesome. Much better than my original CD and vinyl.

MEMark, RubenH, CBackley and 7 others like this.
  12. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

There’s actually another version with Eric Leeds on sax instead of Prince on lead guitar. Prince fans knew the sax version for years from bootlegs, so we were all disappointed when CB98 came out with a different version!

According to Prince Vault, the version on SOTT deluxe is the first version, and he replaced the lyrics shortly afterwards . I suspect Duane Tudahl will address the song in his upcoming book.
    Crucial - Prince Vault

13. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I've listened to the first two sides of Live In Utrecht. I'm not sure why the SOTT show leaves me cold. Maybe I've seen the movie too much? I feel like there's something about Sheila's drumming that doesn't appeal to me, which is weird because I've always liked her playing. But the drums sound thin to me, and I feel like the tempos are too fast for a lot of these songs (is that why the tape was slowed down???). I can't quite put my finger on it...

Eric_Generic likes this.
  14. Campaigner

Campaigner Too late to cause a stir

My wishlist is for all of the associate albums to be re-issued as standalone releases, with Prince's versions as bonus tracks. Up until last year, I didn't think that the material would be there, but getting a Prince version of 'Make Up' changed my mind ;)

15. rubberhead

rubberhead You could pay as little as $5 per treatment*

Key question: if I discard the bubble wrap do I devastate the resale value?

[​IMG]

16. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

My box arrived from Tower Records with the custom Prince artwork on it, so it's definitely Warner's doing. Amazon was wise however if they put it in their own box, because mine was not, and the box had a gash in the front when it arrived. Thankfully the set was still protected enough inside that it did no harm.

That is what I've been thinking about this week more than hoping for any other Prince album (perhaps other than Purple Rain, which is a long shot to expect another edition of soon.) It might be tough for Warners to figure out how to market without Prince's name front and center, but it would be great to get 2CD versions of Vanity 6, Apollonia 6, The Time records, and The Family, each with outtakes, single mixes, and Prince versions/demos.

17. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large Thread Starter

what did he say about it?

Matthew Tate and hiterss like this.
  18. Campaigner

Campaigner Too late to cause a stir

I think the estate can easily get it done if they bring their expectations all the way down. I've said it a number of times, but each release doesn't need to be a big event. If their intention is to make $$$, then they don't need to sell millions of copies to make money. Think small, do a limited release for each in a staggered calendar, say the first three albums by The Time on every other Friday, then Vanity 6, Apollonia 6 and The Family. Six albums, three or so months of releases.

Then get working on Sheila's first couple of albums, and if the demand is there, the album Prince recorded for The Time in 1990, before the band took over and released Pandemonium instead.

Can probably skip the Carmen Electra re-release.

Joker to the thief and SRC like this.
  19. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large Thread Starter

Those Sheila E. tracks haven't aged as well as Vanity 6 or The Time.

Campaigner and Piiijiii like this.
  20. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

Dropping “It”, “Adore”, “Slow Love” and “Beautiful Night” from SOTT?! What’s wrong with you people?! ;) No, but seriously...

I honestly can’t think of a single bad song on SOTT. If anything, shockingly, the title track might be my least favorite. But it’s still great!

21. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

That it was more jazzy and didn't have so many layers. So he was surprised when he heard the final mix. That's all I remember.

22. Choose Cats

Choose Cats Forum Resident

#2 on the Monday UK chart with 5k sales. Probably won't beat its ultimate original #4 peak but that's pretty impressive.

23. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I am being picky here, but they should have done a paperback' version of the cd set (ie similar packaging to 1999).

24. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Don't ask me. Still haven't busted the cellophane on the 1999 SDE.

fishyboots and Eric_Generic like this.
  25. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I've been treating the Vault volumes like their own albums, giving each one at least one day of my time. Haven't touched V3 yet. Someone spent time (obviously) remastering, QC'ing, and sequencing. These days, I'm happy to hear what someone else has put on the table for me. I do minimal playlist manipulation (except when I keep going back to certain tracks and listening again and again and again.)