Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Seriously, still this. ......cut me a break.....
    I'm not bashing Giles, but just can't agree. He is so far down the line. Yes, I'm sharing my opinion as a ardent fan of over 50 years and musician. 5th Beatle.......

Scott6 and Dan The Man1 like this.
  2. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Folks, this thread is beginning to go off the rails again.

It might be helpful to remember: not everyone is going to like everything. Insulting someone with a different point of view is not going to change anybody's mind.
    There's enough tension in the world as it is right now.

Can we all just be civil here?

If this continues, thread bans and warning will go into effect.

Please, please, make nice, OK?

3. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident

As I posted in another Abbey Road thread, IMHO it's the album where they excel as performers (both as singers and instrumentalists). Plus it's also the best sounding album of theirs.

4. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I've got insomnia. It's 2.30am and I am listening to the Abbey Road remix and it's bloody great. Sounds fresh and open to these ears and I'm feeling it. A great sounding LP and I much prefer this to the 2012 remaster LP, which sounded bloated yet veiled/cramped.

5. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

I think if Giles takes the same mindset for Rubber Soul & Revolver that he did for Sgt Pepper (make a stereo version that more closely resembles the mono, with the clarity that comes from using pre-bounce session tapes), then new stereo mixes will be great.

Mastering issues aside, the Sgt Pepper stereo remix was fantastic.

6. dryjoy

dryjoy Brother In Sound

I’d love those remixes too, however if my memory serves me correctly (and it frequently doesn’t - so I may well be wrong!), I don’t think they did all that much bouncing, so there may not be many ‘pre-bounce session tapes’ to work with.

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

His remixes of Paperback Writer and Rain were very good on 1+. He now has more experience than he did then. Hopefully it can be done.

Shaddam IV, xj32 and dryjoy like this.
  8. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

Love the White Album and Abbey Road remixes, as well as loving the Love album. Would absolutely love Paul to get Giles to do a Love style rejig of his solo work, bringing out the wondrous melodies and highlighting the fact that his genius didn't end with the end of The Beatles.

Lewisboogie, xj32 and Man at C&A like this.
  9. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

Sounds about right, given there wasn't as much layering done on most Rubber Soul/Revolver tracks as there was on Sgt Pepper - but when-ever they *did* bounce-down, there's hopefully a tape of the pre-bounce session, that can be synched-up for more clarity & mix control.

With Drive My Car & Taxman opening those albums, we'll know right away how successful any remix has been.

Gila and dryjoy like this.
  10. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

If it all sounds like the first minute of the "Girl" bonus track from Love (complete with stereo-ized backing vocals), it'll be great.

11. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

repeating myself from several threads. I see remixing Beatles like this. If there are a couple of new mixes that become my go-to mixes on a re-mix release i am more than happy. The rest of the remixes are interesting variations that i am glad to have. Bettering vintage Beatles mixes is a VERY difficult task since they were one of the best sounding 60s groups from the get go. Just listen to their British contemporaries. Rarely the same liveliness and oomph in their studioproductions (with exceptions ofcourse).

12. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

Well as much as George was always the original 5th Beatle he passed that baton to Giles when he passed away. Most Beatles fans I talk to agree that the 5th Beatle crown is now proudly worn by Giles (or at some point Sir Giles Martin). Can't wait to hear what he has done to Let It Be.

ggjjr likes this.
  13. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

They're done as 50 year anniversary mixes, and Sir George passed away a few months shy of Sgt. Pepper's 50th. I'd assume he'd have long since retired, and possibly was not in the best of health when the project started.

That is indeed silly, although looking at the way their recorded legacy has been handled, they'll be back in print soon enough. There's also the flood of used copies out there. The used copies don't really justify letting the OG mixes fall out of print per se, but the original mixes are available on streaming services alongside Geils' work.

That's a decision that's presumably out of his hands, and I frankly don't see how it makes sense to suggest that he's overriding his father's work. It's the ins and outs of the business end of things, and as I said, Sir George's mixes are still available on streaming services. Physical copies of the original mix would comprise a very, very small percentage of the overall market, and that's before you consider the oceans of used copies that are already readily available for less $$$ than a new one would go for.

It makes more sense to me, if we're looking at not just his, but everyone's perspective, to think of it as continuing a legacy. They're anniversary mixes, and there's no pretense to selling them as anything else. It's not like, for example, the first CDs of ZZ Top's early catalog, where a flamingly horrible remix with electronic drums was the only way to get them on CD for any price.

Also, it's not like he's some untalented hack that got picked up through name recognition alone. I know a lot of people don't care for his work, and this is purely anecdotal, but my engineer friends and I were impressed when we sat down with Abbey Road. Obviously he had an advantage because of his name, but I don't think it'd be enough to get him a gig this high profile. Especially since millions of people will be waiting for him with knives out.

That, we agree on.

14. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

He was losing his hearing already by mid-90s, in fact Giles apparently helped him on Anthology project.

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I didn't know that. I do remember reading that he was losing his hearing then. I thought he might have been saying it as an excuse to not be involved with Free As A Bird and Real Love!

I can imagine George taught Giles a lot to be fair.

MadMelMon likes this.
  16. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Giles remixes are Free as a Bird and Real Love on 1+ are actually quite great

17. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

My recollection is hazy but initially studio documentation suggested that very few bounces were required/made prior to Revolver. However, in researching their amazing book, Recording the Beatles, Kehew and Ryan discovered that more songs were subject to bouncing than was originally thought. However, the issue is that the bounces were done internally. That is, onto the same tape. This practice was either outright banned or certainly frowned upon so it was never documented. The point is that, by bouncing onto the same tape and then recording over the tracks the original pre-bounced sounds were recorded on, the original separated sounds have forever been lost.

My recollection of an analysis of pre-1966 recordings suggests that there weren't a great many songs that were bounced. Certainly not enough to enable coherent improved-stereo mixes of whole albums.

John Bliss and dryjoy like this.
  18. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Jeff Lynne helped with those 2.

19. Detroit Rock Citizen

On 1+? I don't think so. I could be wrong

20. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

That's right. The 90s tracks were remixed by Jeff Lynne in 1+.

21. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

The stereo remixes of those 2 were done by Jeff Lynne and Steve Jay, the 5.1. surround were made by Jeff Lynne, Steve Jay, Giles Martin and Sam Okell

22. Detroit Rock Citizen

Interesting, no time to look at the box.
    Whoever did them though They are a huge improvement over the '96 mixes.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  23. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I'd like to nominate Jeff Lynne to the apparently growing list of Fifth Beatles.

boggs likes this.
  24. dryjoy

dryjoy Brother In Sound

Thanks, yes this rings a bell. I really should read that book. I used to do ‘internal bouncing’ on my cassette four track when I was a teenager. I wondered then why the Beatles (as per Lewishon) didn’t seem to have done it.

25. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

:laughup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.