What was the LOUDEST concert you ever attended?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cryptical17, Feb 7, 2020.

1. keithdylan

keithdylan Master of His Own Domain

I saw Angel play at the Arcadia Theater in Dallas, Tx. We get there a bit after they start, show is General Admission. The center section is packed, but either side of center, up close, is wide open. We get the 2nd row, great close view, but the volume and the bass literally shook us. The bass could have started Afib in heart patients. We lasted less than 5 minutes.

aravel, Cryptical17 and uzn007 like this.
  2. Impedance36

Impedance36 Forum Resident

Dinosaur Jr, My Bloody Valentine, or the O Sees. Probably O Sees due to my head almost being inside the kick drum when they played on a deck.

Cryptical17 likes this.
  3. wadenits

wadenits Forum Resident

Black Sabbath at Friars club Aylesbury in 1969. Freddie King was booked and cancelled so Black Sabbath replaced him at short notice. It was a tiny 250 capacity venue. Sabbath were so loud the volume gave my friend a nose bleed. It was the last show held there, the volume it seems was even too much for the local residents

ribonucleic, aravel and Crungy like this.
  4. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The John Entwistle Band, pick any gig.....

5. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

6. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Motorhead at Pop's in Sauget, Illinois. In door event and I had to move to the side of the world's largest dive bar to get away from the sound. It was way too much for me. I wasn't a big fan anyways.

7. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

I'd say Led Zep in Zurich 1980

aravel and Crungy like this.
  8. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

Went to see Mogwai at the Astoria when they were pretty much starting out, I think it was part of an NME space gig. The noise was so great that it became a physical presence, I literally felt like it was pinning me to the wall. It was visceral and overwhelming. Am incredible feeling and such relief when it was done. An astounding gig

9. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Neil Young. Rust Never Sleeps. Low level ringing in my ears every since.

ribonucleic likes this.
  10. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Genesis - Edinburgh Ingliston 1982, front row seats. F*** me!

And any Motorhead gig you care to mention. Especially those in the post 2000s at Glasgow Barrowland and ESPECIALLY those where they had Anthrax in support!!

aravel likes this.
  11. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Senior Member

Led Zeppelin, Seattle Kingdome, July 17, 1977.

12. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

October 30, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Orpheum Theater

The Black Crowes

My ears were ringing for 3 days after that show. I blame this guy:
    [​IMG]

To be fair I did see them the next night which didn't help but for some reason I really remember that 1st night being STUPID loud.

aravel likes this.
  13. jboersma

jboersma Tower of Power

AC/DC Metlife (Meadowlands) Stadium 2016

Saw this show on the field maybe 20 yards from the stage. Forgot ear plugs and suffered the results for the next 5 days. Absolutely insanely loud but so much fun to experience!

14. My former guitar tech (Bill Richardson, since retired) was good friends with the late Alan Rogan who was Pete's tech. He once shared with me a great story...

Bill is a bassist, and Alan invited Bill to sound check during a Who show, and when Ox was about ready to sound check his rig, Alan discretely maneuvered Bill into a spot where he would get the full affect. Something about a brown note, I think? It was said that Ox was pretty deaf, and that he went for maximum possible stage volume. You did not want to be standing in the wrong spot at the right time, or you would be looking to change your drawers.

wadenits likes this.
  15. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Entwistle's hearing loss was so profound, that in his later years. He would press the headstock of his bass against the amp cabinet, in order to hear via the vibrations.

ribonucleic and BGLeduc like this.
  16. Jocko

Jocko Forum Resident

Unquestionably it was Pat Travers in a small music hall in Fla in the 70’s. Fourth row, center and my ears rang for about 4 days! The next year his live “Go for What You Know” album dropped and though it was recorded at a few different venues, my show was represented with “Boom, Boom, out go the Lights”, some say the best track on the disc. I’ve been to many loud shows, but there’s always one that’s the pinnacle, and this was it!

Dusty Sommers, uzn007 and Cryptical17 like this.
  17. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Jucifer. She was already the loudest thing I'd ever heard before the PA was turned on.

[​IMG]

18. Twodawgzz

Twodawgzz But why do you ask such questions...

Oingo Boingo about 4 years ago. So loud you couldn't find anyplace in the room where it wasn't. I walked out after about 15 minutes.

ribonucleic and aravel like this.
  19. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

The Who ...... 1982 Tangerine Bowl, Orlando FL.

And that was outdoors and without Keith Moon, LOL.

ribonucleic and Joti Cover like this.
  20. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

Roger Waters - Earls Court London - 12 May 2007

I had seats right at the back facing the stage.... And the sound was deafening, it was so clear though..... Nick Mason played with Waters that night on set The Controls For The Heart of The Sun. brilliant night.

Joti Cover likes this.
  21. Muffinbutt

Muffinbutt Forum Resident

Dinosaur Jr at the Metro, Chicago, IL. My gosh it was extremely loud that I couldn’t even hear Jmascis sing. Great time though.

22. the jesus abyss

the jesus abyss Forum Resident

My Bloody Valentine at the Roundhouse.

notesfrom likes this.
  23. blehman

blehman Forum Resident

In the recently penned Steve Gorman book Hard to Handle: The Life and Death of The Black Crowes—A Memoir (2019 Hachette Book Group; New York, NY) Gorman claims that Rich Robinson routinely played at full volume on the stage. So much so their sound engineer wouldn't mic his amps, and would then spend the bulk of the show having the PA mix fight with Robinson's turned up to 11 rig. Looking at it, his equipment seems fairly robust.

[​IMG]

wiseblood likes this.
  24. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

Read the book (well, listened to it...in case you need the full effect of those words like I did, hearing Steve read them was glorious) and I'll say this: I didn't need Steve to tell me about the loudness problem OR the incessant fights that the FOH engineers would get into over the noise. It was insane. SO loud. CRAZY loud. I wasn't even at the stage. I was just under the overhang of the balcony. It was THAT LOUD.

I should have been wearing earplugs, but man...I was 22 and INVINCIBLE! lol

I also play guitar and guilty of a lot of the same bad habits, but NEVER Rich Robinson loud.

25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Yeah, I walked out on them a couple of years ago. I just don’t get it. Fortunately the band before them was that easy-listening soft rock band Nine Inch Nails, and I love them.
    [​IMG]

ribonucleic, notesfrom and GB Butler like this.