Any Les Dudek Fans here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Boggmeister, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Boggmeister

Boggmeister Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had read somewhere on the interwebs that Les was the man man who played the guitar solo along with Dickie Betts on the song Rambling Man. Not long after reading this I found a couple of his solo albums in a used vinyl store and picked them up for a couple of bucks each. I’ve been a fan ever since.

The first LP I got was Ghost Town Parade. If you’re a fan of 70s guitar rock, give it listen.

Crimson Witch and Purplerocks like this.
  2. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

His s/t debut was one of my favourite albums of the seventies.....and I still listen to it
    regularly. Les is someone clearly in need of a career-spanning compilation. If you
    read all of the Allman Brothers books it seems that Dudek ostracized himself from
    that community by claiming a lot of the credit for `Ramblin' Man' and `Jessica'.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    phillyal1 likes this.
  3. Sky Dawg

Sky Dawg Forum Resident

An artist I hadn't thought about in years. I played both his s/t lp with the parrot sitting on his guitar's headstock and "Say No More".
    I remember that I really liked them both back in the day. Hadn't thought about him in quite some time.
    Thanks for reminding me about him. I'll put em' back in rotation to see how they've held up.

rockclassics likes this.
  4. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Funnily enough, Rock Candy Records have just re-released the Black Rose album with Les & Cher. Looking forward to that.

I know him as a reliable session man. Haven't heard any of his solo records.

Curveboy likes this.
  5. Boggmeister

Boggmeister Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here’s a link to City Magic. It received some FM radio airplay back in the day.

Sandy Dee, DJ LX and Purplerocks like this.
  6. AndyP19

AndyP19 Forum Resident

Big fan wonderful guitarist.

MYQ1 and rockclassics like this.
  7. Bhobb

Bhobb Crate Digger

Not a huge fan, but "Central Park" is epic

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  8. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

I love the Say No More lp
    Zorro Rides Again is definitely a nod to the ABB

rockclassics likes this.
  9. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

I loved the DFK Band. Too bad they didn't continue beyond one and done.

cnath likes this.
  10. "Les Dudek and More Bass!"

11. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

This one got a bit of FM radio airplay.....

Old Judge Jones

12. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

This album I had gotten originally when released but I sold all my vinyl back in 1986 and this album had been lost in time to me. I'm going to see if I can check it out on Tidal to see if it would interest me again all these years later.

[​IMG]
    Les Dudek ‎– Les Dudek
    Genre:
    Rock
    Style:
    Blues Rock, Southern Rock
    Year:

McLover likes this.
  13. rockclassics

I had the first 3 albums on vinyl (now long gone) and then got them on CD. I'll have to dig them out. Obviously I liked them enough to buy them twice but it has been a long time since I played any of them. I am going to dig them out and see if they are still as good as I recall.

Thanks to the OP for the memory refresh.

14. rockclassics

I never heard this album. I'll have to try to track it down.

15. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I really dig his 1st album and "Ghost Town Parade". The DFK album never did much for me. I might have to revisit "Say No More" soon.

16. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

He claimed he helped write a part of Jessica…the part in "Jessica" from when it modulated into G then eventually back to A. See Alan Paul’s book.

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have Les Dudek's first two albums (S/T and Say No More) on vinyl and Say No More on CD. Enjoyed both albums back in the day. I'll have to give the Say No More CD a spin today.

Instant Karma and pool_of_tears like this.
  18. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

I got the feeling that the issue was more that they felt that he had inserted himself too readily into Duane Allman shoes & that the other members were not ready or able to accept that.
    I think he would have been ideal in the band , however, their choice to get Chuck Leavell instead was inspired.

It's interesting how intertwined things were when he was later to hook up with Gregg Allmans ex wife Cher.

The earlier Les Dudek albums have a strong Boz Scaggs influence, probably because Silk Degrees was getting more than plenty of airplay & attention at the time

pool_of_tears likes this.
  19. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I like Les’ first two solo records

Instant Karma likes this.
  20. Musicminded

Musicminded Forum Resident

Ghost Town Parade is my favorite but I like most of his output. I have a terrific live recording of the DFK band where they also play a lot of their solo output. Was a Radio show that showed up on the internet.
    Really dig his fluid soloing.

21. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

I just recently discovered his first 2 solo albums, and love both S/T and "Say No More". Was pleasantly surprised when I first heard them. He and Chuck Leavell (Sea Level) put out some of the best music as Allman Bros alumni.

pool_of_tears likes this.
  22. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

On the ABB/Dudek connection:

He played the other guitar part on "Ramblin Man" & the acoustic guitar on "Jessica", (& helped with the songwriting on it, as mentioned), & then was running around Macon claiming he was "in" with the band & would soon be joining them to anyone that would listen.

Word quickly got back to the ABB, & they were NOT amused. They'd made it clear after Duane's death that it would be too morbid & disturbing to hire someone to teach Duane's licks to.

From all I've read on his working with them, he let his ego get in the way. He'd also apparently come up with an electric guitar part on "Jessica" as well, but Dickey didn't think it worked as well as the acoustic guitar & Leavell's piano part.

The whole thing is laid out in Alan Paul's oral history of the ABB, including comments from Les. He comes across as someone that seems to think little highly of himself.

23. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Didn't he have the hit, "Smoke From A Distant Fire"?

24. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

The Sanford Townsend Band did Smoke from a Distant Fire. I have Say no More on CD thanks to hearing Old Judge Jones. Thanks for the post.

MYQ1 likes this.
  25. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Produced a concert by him at my college. good show and music.