Type O Negative - None More Negative Box reissued by ROG

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Krzych, Jun 21, 2019.

1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

The compact disc format is limited 22 (44) so it doesn't really matter. But yes, as far as EQ I agree, they sound the same. I do get better soundstage from the LP.
    I always figured this was a digital recording.
    It's possible the 1996 LP used the digital compact disc mastering, who knows.

TongueDruid likes this.
  2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Awesome! Too bad you're- apparently - not into Prince. You could certainly make some valuable contributions to those discussions about the huuuuuuge "1999" and "Sign O The Times" super deluxe sets! :righton:

TongueDruid and c-eling like this.
  3. TongueDruid

TongueDruid The Delectable Dingleberry

Super digital-sounding album, for sure. Those programmed drum & keyboard samples are so digital & dated, even all of the guitar & vocal fx sound very mid-90s digital. But to this day I still love everything about its whole sound. A perfect record, from ideas to execution, in my book!

4. c-eling

Casual Prince fan Neon, not enough for massive box sets. A little too funky for me :laugh:

Neonbeam likes this.
  5. c-eling

An artificial album for sure. Part of the charm that is Type O :laugh:
    I wouldn't change a thing :)

GarySteel and TongueDruid like this.
  6. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Still, I’m waiting for a AAA pressing from the original mono tapes mastered by Chris Bellman at 45 rpm. (You do know I’m just kidding, right)? Happy Halloween!:tiphat:

krisjay, TongueDruid and c-eling like this.
  7. TongueDruid

Mmmmm... I could place it right next to my Beatles mono box that I'll never have either :winkgrin:

sonofjim likes this.
  8. ScaleTheInferno

ScaleTheInferno Forum Resident

That's weird. I had the 2006 pressing of October Rust and it sounded just like the CD.
    The 1996 original pressing on the other hand, is much more dynamic.

9. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

Hehe, fancy seeing you here. Sorry I didn't thank you as well for your helpful comments in the other thread. So I did it now :)

Got the boxset today after ordering it on Sunday. Only played the first three records so far, but love it so far. I would say that Bloody Kisses sounds much better than my old cd. My first girlfriend got me into them and they were one of the first bands I ever saw live at the grand old age of 15.

Not entirely OT, but from what I can tell, my favorite album of theirs, Dead Again, is very expensive to get on vinyl. Is it worth the effort/cash?

c-eling, TongueDruid and Chrome_Head like this.
  10. TongueDruid

The original green pressing is the only one mastered well on vinyl. I wouldn't say it's noticeably any better than the CD for sure, but it does definitely sound killer. Obviously if your vinyl playback system sounds better than your CD system then that'll be the winner. Just be very careful there's a lot of bootlegs of that one floating around.

GarySteel and c-eling like this.
  11. c-eling

For Dead Again I just have the 2008 box set with the red 2x12.
    Sounds fine. It's either a full analog cut or 24/96. No frequency cut-off

GarySteel and TongueDruid like this.
  12. TongueDruid

I'm not sure if anyone on this board had chimed in on the subject, or if it was just discogs reviews I'd read, but I remember some people had some gripes about the quality of the red version, saying it wasn't as good sounding as the original green press & the CD. BUT we should all know by now to let our own ears be the judge... I've definitely discovered completely contrary audible revelations of vinyl pressings that couldn't have been any further from what random internet reviews have spat out!
    I did just find my review of the 1st green pressing on its discogs page & in it I'd heard not 1 audible difference in EQ or compression between the green pressing and the CD whatsoever. So at least as far as my personal experience is worth, I know with certainty that a clean green is a safe buy!

c-eling likes this.
  13. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

I slept on the box, now more than I want or can pay. Hoping they at least release a run of October Rust and Dead Again. I have Bloody and World Coming Down. I can live without the early albums if I have to, but not those two. World Coming Down is a wonderful release. Saw them on a headlining show for that album in a very small club. Still one of the craziest shows I've been to.

14. TongueDruid

Niiiiice, I wish I caught the WCD tour!! Such an amazing album, I still remember clear-as-day the walk home listening to it on my discman the day it came out. The closest they came to me on that tour was a 6 hr drive away so I didn't get the chance >:/ I did catch 'em on the Life Is Killing Me tour a cpl years later at least.

krisjay likes this.
  15. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

Thanks! The cd sounds great on my (extremely old) cd player, but it would have been cool to have the vinyl to complete the discography. Checked prices for it, but a bit rich for my blood. Hopefully there will be a repress.

c-eling likes this.
  16. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

I remember when they played "World Coming Down" at the gig I caught. Great medley including "Dear Prudence" by the Beatles :love:

Peter also teased the audience with what was left over in the second of his bottles of red wine. "You guys want this!?" he said and dangled it over the heads of the front row. Everybody in the room screamed "YEEEEEEEESSSS!!!!", of course. "Well , ya can't have it!" he replied and downed the whole thing and trew the bottle away. Made a great impression on a little kid :D

Stormrider77, Runicen and TongueDruid like this.
  17. TongueDruid

The king of stage banter!!

c-eling and GarySteel like this.
  18. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

Indeed. Him and the guy on your avatar.

TongueDruid likes this.
  19. KristianS

KristianS Forum Resident

This is probably my favourite box set now if they could just reissue Dead Again on Vinyl I would be very happy. The second hand market is very expensive and with the mine field of bootlegs out there I am hesitant to spend so much money and ending up with a bootleg.

c-eling and TongueDruid like this.
  20. TongueDruid

Aaahaha good call! *Grabs a baton, does a jumping split & runs away*

GarySteel likes this.
  21. TongueDruid

If you decide to pull the trigger on Dead Again just make sure to ask the seller to confirm the runout matrix before you buy! I do that whenever it's a high $ purchase. I've avoided at least a dozen seller-mishaps that way

KristianS and c-eling like this.
  22. c-eling

Yeah the box is nice Gary, but not nice enough for the prices people are trying to get for it. I'd wear the t-shirt but it's like a XXXXXL :laugh:
    I'm good with the old compact disc as well. That and the deluxe set come with a LPCM 48 DVD with a couple video edits and some live tracks. Pretty cool :)

Neonbeam and GarySteel like this.
  23. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

Sounds like it, you lucky so and so :D

The live tracks are from Wacken Open Air 2008, right? Went the year (of course) after with some friends. Had a blast, even if metal isn't my main thing. Cheap beer (compared to Norway, anyway), fun people and a few great bands (Heaven & Hell, Motörhead, Cathedral and some Norwegian black metal bands). Never went back, tho.

Cheers!

24. c-eling

I think so, not sure.
    Nice, would of loved to have seen these guys live, I would of had a blast!
    The closet I ever got was the Symphony For The Devil DVD :laugh:

TongueDruid and GarySteel like this.
  25. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

You would have loved it, I'm sure :)

The ex I was talking about had that. Saw it many times back in the day and if I remeber correctly there was a bonus DVD with a Santana medley or something as well. Hmm, perhaps I should track down a copy... Good thing the bars are closed over here these days, all this music is costing me a lot :laugh: