Will we ever get Pink Floyd The Wall 5.1?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bettsaj, Feb 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.” Thread Starter

It's in the name of the thread..... When will we get The Wall in 5.1?? If indeed ever, and that goes for the film as well..... And while we're on the subject, howabout a 5.1 of the live album with all the quad as per the original show...... Possible??

The Wall studio album has long been on most peoples wishlist for a 5.1 mix, but I've heard that the multi-track tapes aren't in that very good condition so if a transfer to digital was possible they'd likely only get one shot at it. The missing track What Shall we Do Now? could now at last be restored back to where it belongs. It's well known it was cut from the original studio album due to time contraints on vinyl, but in this day and age of Blu-Ray it's more than possible it could be restored. The Blu-Ray could both the album in its original form, and the remix with the inclusion of the missing track.

Is There Anybody Out There? was obviously recorded multitrack, and this also could get a 5.1 mix if the multis are in good condition..... Could they also use the original quad tapes they used in the concert... They may still have them.

Discuss..........

2. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

October 7, 2039

3. bettsaj

:laughup::laughup: You should be a comedian

Crimson Witch likes this.
  4. puddleduck

puddleduck Forum Resident

I think if the tapes were in good enough shape for 5.1, this would have been done for the Immersion box.

I'm pretty sure I read that the the sound engineer tasked with this, James Guthrie, said the tapes were not in good shape. I assume this is why it has not happened, and probably never will happen.

This thread topic probably should have a ? in it too.

5. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

Never, I don't think the original multi tracks are in good enough shape to do this type of re mixing. If they were it would have happened with the Wall Immersion set

6. bettsaj

That's what I've alwys thought.... But there's always the thought that they could

7. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

It seems like this has been covered elsewhere (?) and IIRC, some have said the condition and/or whereabouts of the multi track tapes may be in question.
    I suppose a derivative of the quad mix tapes (if available) could yield something of interest to 5.1-ers, but there seems to be a prevailing unity that such would have happened by now if feasible based on what exists in the vaults.

McLover and c-eling like this.
  8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

My understanding is that they have been and are working on them.
    The last report was that the tapes were in bad shape, but they were getting them together.

The thing is though, do the Floyd guys care anymore.

We have a completed Obscured By Clouds, and a completed Meddle, and it appears they will never see the light of day.
    We apparently have a completed Animals, and a series of delays in terms of a release ...
    Perhaps they are waiting to package them all in a Middle Years Box of some description, but I would prefer them to just release the individual albums in a 5.1 format to be honest

9. mark winstanley

You do know that your thread title just depressed a lot of us, because we thought you were announcing the release :)

Jarleboy, Buddybud and GoodKitty like this.
  10. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Luna65 posted this on the AFG forum:

I can finally speak of this now (it's been going on for over a year and it's been torturous to sit on my figurative hands)...
    When James gave his interview last month for the dCS Legends campaign (of which he is a recipient of their award and Sean may be posting the news item I provided him on the site), at the end of it he does verify that he is mixing The Wall for 5.1.

The relevant section is around 32 minutes in, but it's an interesting interview all-told.
    https://dcs-legends-the-other-side-of-t ... es-guthrie

Of equal importance to me is that James also reveals he's working on a solo album - and I have been sworn to secrecy for so many years, you just don't know. For those who might wonder, it's likely to turn out more jazz than rock.

11. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

They love milking the fans, so it will happen one day before we're all dead.

klockwerk likes this.
  12. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

And Animals to! Yeah!

mark winstanley likes this.
  13. He's been at for years now, with any luck when it surfaces we'll get it in high resolution *stereo and surround, like we did with Amused To Death.

Still not holding my breath though. Let's hope they don't start with 50th anniversary releases, not sure I'm ready to wait till 2027 and 2029.

*Actually I think my high resolution stereo copy is actually a downmix, that I did.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  14. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I'm sure we'll get something along those lines someday. Amazon is pushing into surround streaming, which means that there will be a new revenue source for multichannel music. Even if the band members take little interest in it, at some point their families may feel differently. And upmixing will get better as well, so the original multitracks may become less critical. But none of that means that we'll get a great multichannel mix.

15. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

If I had to bet my own money on it I would say........no :cry:

16. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Maybe they'll package it with the Earl's Court video in a new box?

JulesRules and mark winstanley like this.
  17. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

It seems odd to me that for 20 years now there has been technology in the home (DVD and 5.1 discrete surround sound) to replicate Floyd's Quad experience, yet they have only really dipped their toe into it in the last 2 decades with DSOTM and WYWH getting a release in surround sound

AHM's Quad mix was criminally tucked away in boxset or larger single package later on, when its so good it should have been released on its own.

I get the feeling that Animals 5.1 has been pulled from SACD release now, and awaits a bigger fate along with The Wall 5.1. See they love talking about "boxsets" these days, can't just put an album out...
    Nick Mason Admits Challenges in Reissuing Pink Floyd's 'Animals'

We can dream that maybe they have the entire catalogue in some surround format now and can release them all in a box at some point? Who knows, but the wait isn't over yet, and we ain't getting any younger

18. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Meddle and OBC would work for me.

englishbob likes this.
  19. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

Must wait until Roger passes on so he doesn't make any money off it.

20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

No Quad mix was ever done of "The Wall". Columbia by then discontinued SQ LP discs, and TC-8 Quad cartridges.

21. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Great idea.
    Although they still mixed in analog, I'd be very surprised if they didn't make digital copies of the multis in 2000.

bobloblaw likes this.
  22. MartyGabriel

MartyGabriel Jaded Realist.

Meddle actually is in the Early Years box but you have to have some technical expertise to get to it.

23. mark winstanley

I have a copy of it, but I think it would be more sensible for it to be released, rather than being stuck in Dave and Roger's games

24. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

A whole damned quad box, just like Chicago and the Doobie Brothers, with bonus 1.1 for all albums with no original quad mix :D

25. hiterss

hiterss Forum Resident

oh man I'm dying for an update on this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.