Please explain the Naim mystique...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ghostofzuul, Apr 6, 2020.

1. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

No, I am using QED Reference but I have some other cables so i will try them at the weekend.

G B Kuipers likes this.
  2. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I agree. I once tried a set of Transparent speaker cables with a Naim NAP-250-2 amp and that had a very negative impact on the sound. I used Naim NACA5 after that, and now use Witchhat Phantom cables with my 300DR.

xfilian likes this.
  3. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

This. Particularly the bit about $$$$$ American high-end gear.

TheKevster likes this.
  4. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Man, I wish Naim would make a turntable...:D

5. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

A while ago, Naim made a tonearm, the ARO, that I quite liked--a lively sound. I helped with tuning up the Linn table that the arm was mounted on and got to hear it in a friend's system that I knew quite well. That lively sound might not be for everyone, particularly those that prefer a "darker" sound, but it was at least good to have something that sounds a little different from what is commonly available.

6. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I have a Naim Nait 1 and A5 speaker cable. I also have a Naim ARO on my Linn LP12. I use the Nait 1 for my office system. The ARO/LP12 are on my main system.

Naim components are a great buy on the used market and even the oldest components can be re-capped.

Scott

7. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

As an aside I spoke with a dealer in Hong Kong and he noted that many years ago that if you wanted to pick up and sell the Linn LP12 you were forced to also sell Naim as well. Perhaps this was before Linn made other components. But I find it interesting that there has been a Linn vs Naim fanbase when it appears the two were linked at one time.

8. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

These two companies did indeed have exclusivity arrangements with dealers for many years back when Linn only made TTs, and Naim only made electronics. But when CDs came along and Linn saw that the market for Turntables was contracting, they decided that they needed to branch into other markets just to stay alive. And when Linn made this change and started expanding their line-up piece by piece, it gradually turned these former partners into competitors.

james and Richard Austen like this.
  9. Bananajack

Bananajack Phorum ... wat Phorum? Where am I?

The first time I heard Naim was in the early 80s (Olive sets), friends‘ system with DIY 4way Dynaudios.
    Err, very weird, completely underpowered ...

The 2nd time 2008 at a friends place. Full Naim system, again with Dynaudios.
    Uhh, strange, I don’t like to be shouted at.

The 3rd time when I got me (still curious) a Naim CD5i cheap from FleaBay. Got my friend in
    to listen ... seriously hysteric sound. Not a bit relaxed. Where is the silence between the notes?
    Advertised the same day, sold after 24hr for more than I paid.

Seems ones hell is somebody else’s heaven.
    Not able to understand that cult (for the AudioNote cult I have quite some understanding.

but 5 Pin DIN I like - easiest way of connecting (yaya complain and tell me XLR is it, that’s about the
    same a the earlier 3 pin Din LOL. Back to the 50s (I have such sets).

10. Josquin des Prez

If you first heard Naim in the early 80s, it was Chrome Bumper series, not Olive. The latter came out in in 1989 and didn't exist outside of Naim R&D before that..

I bought my first Naim new in 1986-87 and it was Chrome Bumper (42.5/HiCap/140).

TheKevster and bhazen like this.
  11. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

First Naim setup I heard was at Community Audio in Chesnut Hill, PA. The owner was amazing at setting up systems. I was there to listen to the Rega Planet 2000, what I also heard was a Naim Nait 3(R Maybe) with Naim CD and Linn Ninka speakers. Absolutely amazing.

Years later I heard at a friends house a Rega Apollo-R, Naim Nait (1 from the 80s) and a pair of Mission 770 Freedom speakers. Again an amazing setup.

It was right after I had blown 3k on some B&K HT components and I greatly regretted not going there first.

I currently own a Nait 5si with Rega DAC and pair of Monitor Audio Silver RS8 speakers. Again great sounding and fun to listen to.

bhazen and Zos93 like this.
  12. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

So around a week later and the Supernait 3 is really starting to grow on me. The initial harshness has now worn off considerably. It is still very much an 'up front' amp but that initial screaming in your face has died down. If is drops yet another notch it will be pretty much perfect. I spoke to my dealer and he said the amp had had next to no use which explains why it was as harsh as it was and why the sound has improved. As a result of the harshness disappearing, the sound has now changed to a smoother output but has retained the high level of detail and speed that I guess Naim are known for. I have noticed my feet tapping and a feeling of really being entertained by this little amp which i guess is as good as it gets really. It is often easy to get bogged down in analysing the sound and forget the primary objective of the whole enterprise, which is deriving pleasure from listening to music. My dealer does not seem to be in any hurry for me to return the amp so I will keep on keeping on for a few more days and see how things develop.

bhazen and jhenry like this.
  13. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

I wish this thread would go away. There is no "mystique" about Naim; they make very good gear.

david1111 and bhazen like this.
  14. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

I think this thread and the largely positive response to Naim gear pretty much proves that.

15. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

When I had my first listen to a Nait, it amazed me so much I took it home, ended up selling my expensive valve amplication.

Decades ago but still clear in my memory, never since been without Naim in house.

I Listen to Naim & sometime Rega amplifiers these days

jhenry and bhazen like this.
  16. DiggyGun

DiggyGun One Box Is The Future

I’ve been using Naim for about eight years now. Upgraded over the years from Nad to Arcam and now, Naim.

It is partnered with a Linn LP12 Deck and Kudos Titan 606 speakers. The sound signature suits me and I know that not everyone will like it, but each to their own and that’s the beauty of Hi-Fi.

When I find out how to add a picture, I will do so.

bhazen, Andy Saunders and Zos93 like this.
  17. DonMan

DonMan Member

They make quirky, odd, different and strange audio electronics that use non-industry standard interconnections, require specific and rare speaker cables, sell you all kinds of expensive upgrade items like external power supplies, use more or less the same black box for everything, require expensive capacitor changes every 10 years and have created an Apple-like cult following which is largely unjustified and greatly exaggerated. Their online Community forum is moderated by a person on a psychotic mission to police all thoughts deviating from the party manifesto and control every forum post. You can't discuss certain brands or you'll be punished and/or banned. There are 5 guys there that account for 80% of all posts and the entire point of the Naim forum is for members to incessantly self-congratulate each other.
    The Naim house sound is dark and very very bass-heavy. Naim has a famous mid-bass hump that can cause problems with other electronics and especially loudspeakers. Naim claims to have exclusive ownership of the term PRaT, standing for pace, rhythm and timing, as if other brands were incapable of reproducing music correctly. There are no inexpensive Naim products. They sell a DIN interconnect for 1000£ and a remote control for 500£. You will spend 10,000£ on just three Naim boxes, no speakers or cables yet, and still have entry-level kit, for which you'll be ridiculed on the Naim forum.
    Frankly, Naim is for rich stereophiles rather than audiophiles, let alone music lovers. Don't waste your time on Naim.
    Now for the Naim fanboys: please disprove any of the objective facts listed above. Thank you.

18. DonMan

DonMan Member

So, other brands never got your feet tapping? Gee, Naim is pretty mystical. Sound is changing? How about your brain adjusting to the sound of the amplifier over time. Some call it break-in. Others know better.

19. DonMan

DonMan Member

Can you imagine how much it would cost, including the incredible PRaT innovation where you'd have to recap a turntable after 10 years?

20. DonMan

DonMan Member

Unfortunately, a bucket of popcorn does not refute a single point. Secondly, differing opinions and viewpoints should be welcomed as free speech and invitation for debate, especially when it comes to Naim.

[Mod: offensive remark removed]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2020
  21. DonMan

DonMan Member

Uh-huh. I infer that you have become upset. Allow me to reply that facts don't care about your feelings.

PS: not that it's a problem, but you should disclose that you are one of the major contributors on the Naim forum and that you apparently like Naim as much as others who passionately dislike them, both of which are perfectly acceptable.
    In other words, it is glaringly obvious that your attack on my criticism of Naim has exposed you as one of Naim's valorous defenders. That carries precisely the same magnitude of conviction that I have for Naim, just on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    CN211276 likes this.
  22. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Thank god for the 'ignore' function! :)

23. DonMan

DonMan Member

Fully agree!

24. Josquin des Prez

I like Naim and popcorn. Both make some people unhappy. :p

bhazen likes this.
  25. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I'm a very happy Naim owner, but popcorn husks get stuck in my teeth.

I should probably get my teeth re-capped ...

Curiosity likes this.