Are You Still Listening to Smile Sessions 5-CD boxset version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dandelion1967, Oct 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dandelion1967

Dandelion1967 My Favourite Parks Are Car Parks Thread Starter

For me, this is technical overkill, but I am fairly sure all of that is worth listening to at least once — if only to understand how much time, work, energy, and spirit had been invested in these creations.

I believe, that this is one of the few albums that does merit a whole boxset of such length all to itself.

"Smile" was such a fascinating project that even the demos and interrupted studio takes are exciting on their own, as you watch these songs unfurl before your eyes.

2. tages

tages Senior Member

I keep meaning to set aside a night to play the whole thing in the dark.

I love the bits that I’ve heard. I’ve basically just played the vinyl a few times.

My only issue is the missing vocal on “Do You Like Worms” - I know they never recorded one back in ‘66 but that melody line is so essential. Blew my mind when I saw Brian at the Royal Festival Hall and heard it for the first time.

Also I would’ve loved a recreation of what the December 1966 version might’ve been. A 12 track version with actual gaps between the songs would be interesting.

FJFP, Sean, mpayan and 5 others like this.
  3. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

No. Even as a Beach Boys fanatic, I don't find this period that interesting. What I enjoyed about the Beach Boys were the pop songs with great harmony, not experimental instrumental fragments. I think Brian should have gone solo with this stuff.

What I do listen to all the time are the session tapes people put on YouTube that show the band working out songs like "When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)" and "Please Let Me Wonder" from start to finish.

I also like the unofficial "Behind The Sounds" series, which shows how the songs from Pet Sounds came together. If someone did one of these videos for every song in the catalog 1961-1985, I'd probably listen to them all, but the SMiLE stuff gets me bored after a while.

agundy, Mr-Beagle, PB62 and 1 other person like this.
  4. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

I have put the entire thing into an iTunes playlist and often have it on in the background as I’m working. A never ending “box of tricks”.

Brian Wilson and Van Dyke Parks. The Beach Boys. SMiLE.

5. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Every now and again. There's a few on there I could do without, but much of it I like.

tug_of_war and Zappateer like this.
  6. Nosferatuz

Nosferatuz Forum Resident

I only own the single-disc version, but I enjoy it enough.

7. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Still? Always!

oldsurferdude, Buddybud and Zappateer like this.
  8. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

No. I didn't find it all that much interesting unfortunately. Have the 5 cd mp3 and 2 lp vinyl.

9. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

To be honest, as a lifelong Beach Boys collector, I much prefer the "Pet Sounds Box" over
    this. Plus, on the Pet Sounds box, it was the first time we got a true stereo disc of the album.
    SMILE, to me, never had the big an impact on me. But, again, it's a personal preference.

10. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I still put on my favorite bits from time to time. This period of BBs and Smiley Smile creeps out my gf, so I don't play it often. The only thing I avoid is the "recreation" of Smile, which was surprisingly disappointing, riddled with amateurish errors and poor judgment calls.

Dan

lou likes this.
  11. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

Played it once and put it away

Rfreeman, sixtiesstereo and SteveM like this.
  12. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

More often than most albums or box sets in my collection.

tug_of_war likes this.
  13. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Yes! It’s a go-to for certain.

14. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

Would love to have an official stereo release. Can’t fathom why this hasn’t happened yet.

15. nowyouknow

nowyouknow Music addict

Along with Pet Sounds, one of the very best pop albums of the 60's. Sgt Peppers level and all. So yes. (I'm talking about the single CD version, i never cared for the bonus material).

16. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Select songs like Wind Chimes pop up on shuffle but as a whole,no not any longer.

Two Sheds likes this.
  17. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

No, got bored with it quick. I also have the two-disc set, of which I only play disc 1 anymore. Having said that, I love disc 1 and play it at least once a year.

Dandelion1967 likes this.
  18. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

After I made my own version of the album from it, not really, but I do enjoy looking at the book that came with it

Floatupstream and Jim Duckworth like this.
  19. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Please elaborate on this.

OneHandLoose likes this.
  20. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Sure! She lumps all of that in together. That lots of it is sparsely produced, relentless Baldwin organ, even just Wind Chimes. The defense rests.

Dan

21. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

I listen to the sessions about every two years, though iLIhave ordered the tracks chronologically, which tells a story in my opinion: of a brilliant album that got destroyed by Brian’s quest to make “Heroes and Villains” top “Good Vibrations.”

various SMiLE versions, including my own, i listen to a few times per year. I love it.

22. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Really? Brian lost his marbles working on the mono mix initially and you can't imagine why they haven't attempted a stereo mix?

23. Lance LaSalle

Most of it has been released in stereo already. The music does not cause people to lose their marbles, that happened because Brian was mentally ill.

supermd, Tristero, yesteryear and 4 others like this.
  24. Dandelion1967

Dandelion1967 My Favourite Parks Are Car Parks Thread Starter

So — always the tempting question — could the album, as it is now presented, be the supposed equivalent of Sgt. Pepper?

Clearly, it would have been less accessible. There is simply too much going on here: with most of the songs consisting of several parts, plus additional instrumental links tying them together, the kaleidoscopic ambitiousness would have been too much for most people — at times, it seems as if Brian were competing not so much with Lennon/McCartney as he was with Frank Zappa.

Sgt. Pepper cleverly knew where to stop; SMiLe knows no limits.

25. Lance LaSalle

Definitely less accessible.

I think that the following songs: "Our Prayer", "Heroes and Villains," "Wonderful", "Wind Chimes", "Good Vibrations","The Elements: Fire", "Surf's Up", and "Cabin Essence" on a rarefied level of all-time classics that "A Day In the Life" from Sgt. Pepper is. Simply some of the greatest songs of the twentieth century.

And "A Day in the LIfe" is by far the best song on Pepper.

A song like "Vega-Tables" is about par with most of the songs on Sgt. Pepper's.

Some of the songs like "Do You Like Worms" are unfinished, but they would probably fall into the first "masterpiece" category or the second tier, like "Vega-Tables".

The in-between songs,though, the little snippets and half-baked ideas are, well, little snippets and half baked ideas; perhaps they might have worked a little as segues had the album been finished, but they are clearly fairly inconsequential, though some are more or less enjoyable.

But for me, the 8 songs above are already better than 12/13ths of Sgt Pepper's, so I definitely like even unfinished SMiLE better -- but I agree it would never have been the blockbuster that Sgt Pepper turned out to be -- Sgt Pepper's is just a much, much, much more poppy, more commercial album which appeals to just about everyone and anyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.