Amazon HD Music goes live

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BubbaMc, Sep 17, 2019.

1. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Sounds like I’m going to wait before rejoining until they get this sorted out. I’d be listening via Bluesound Node 2, and I don’t need it changing from track to track. Thanks for the info!

2. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

Amazon app on my laptop pc just prompted me to update to the newest version, which I did. It is 7.13.0.2210. I'm not sure how it's any different, looks the same to me.

3. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

I'm sure it's all under-the-hood changes.

4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Now available in CANADA - 90 day free trial.

This 90-day free trial offer is a limited time offer. This offer applies only to the Amazon Music HD Individual Plan and the Amazon Music HD Family Plan and is available only to new subscribers to Amazon Music Unlimited. After the 90-day trial, your subscription to the Amazon Music HD Individual Plan or the Amazon Music HD Family Plan, as applicable, will automatically continue at the monthly price of $14.99 ($12.99 for Prime members) plus applicable tax (if you selected the Amazon Music HD Individual Plan) or $19.99 plus applicable tax (if you selected the Amazon Music HD Family Plan) until you cancel. This offer cannot be combined with any other offer. Digital content and services may only be available to customers located in the Canada and are subject to the terms and conditions of Amazon Music. Offer limited to one per customer and account. Amazon reserves the right to modify or cancel the offer at any time. Offer is non-transferable and may not be resold. If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid. Quebec residents are not eligible for a free trial and will receive a monthly membership for $14.99 ($12.99 for Prime members) per month, with the first 4 months included at no charge.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  5. pianista vecchio

pianista vecchio Member

For me, the secret to enjoying both CDs and LPs is to not mix them in the same listening session.

Staxus and dtuck90 like this.
  6. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Maybe. But you never know when somebody at amazon might come to their senses and release a version of the app which allows the use of ASIO bit-perfect drivers.

sunspot42 and JediJoker like this.
  7. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The free 90 day trial is for new Amazon members only. These are the 2 options. The Individual annual plan looks like a great deal. $79 for the first year.

Individual Plan HD
    CDN$ 7.99 per month for 90 days
    CDN$ 12.99 per month after – Most Popular Plan

Individual Plan HD - annual
    CDN$ 79.00 per year during 30 day free HD upgrade
    CDN$ 129.00 per year after – Save 18%

8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

New Amazon Music members only get 90 days free. I don't know how it ties in with Amazon Prime or their other services.

9. D700

D700 Just Add Scotch

Wow, talk about an airball today from Amazon. You've got a brand new HD Music service and nothing to drive adoption was announced. That new Show 10 is UGLY and doesn't have a digital out, only analog out. I was expecting a slick, incremental music/video focused update..

10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Amazing there's nothing new to drive adoption of Amazon Music... I guess the big Echo speaker - their HomePod clone - is going to remain their big stab at that market. I do hear it sounds better than the HomePod, which is kind of impressive if true, as Apple's HomePod sounds great for its size...

coffeetime likes this.
  11. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

So I ordered the Anual HD plan for $79. In my Amazon settings it said I’ll be billed an additional $79 for HD access on October 24, 2020. I called them to inquire and was told that I had actually ordered an annual plan for the regular Amazon Music Unlimted which is $79 and will be charged an additional $50 for the HD upgrade. I sent them a screen shot of my settings that said I had ordered HD and had the info about the additional $79 payment. Then I was transferred to someone else who told me my subscription is cancelled and I’ll get a refund. The subscription options are now changed to a standard $12.99/month or $129/year. I guess I caught their mistake and they changed it.

coffeetime, sunspot42 and Deuce66 like this.
  12. D700

D700 Just Add Scotch

If they are still fiddling with pricing, wondering if they will split out their higher end stuff for a different announcement...or maybe its delayed because of C19. They wouldn't have built the HD service if they weren't going to capitalize on it..so I guess we'll see. But dang, still don't have a decent cheap streamer for it

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Some initial observations on Amazon HD (Mac Desktop app version). I can only compare with TIDAL.

- Exclusive mode does not work properly at all, volume should really be disabled from use.
    - Fails to adjust the bit rate feed to my DAC, need to manually adjust in Audio Midi to match the file being played = PITA
    - Noticed a weird volume variation for some tracks being played from the same album
    - The new releases function is pretty much useless (very poor) - the search function isn't that great either
    - Interface is a little messy
    - Sound quality is excellent no better or worse in most cases

Brenald79 likes this.
  14. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I don't think they will come up with a dedicated streamer, as all their Fire tablets and any smart phones running their Amazon Music App becomes a streamer. If you don't like their built in headphone outs, you can get the digital out via their USB or Lightning connection. That is how I listen, connecting a Fire tablet or iPhone to an external DAC.

I don't know if that is what you meant or wanted from a "decent cheap streamer".

15. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

With the pc desktop app set to Exclusive Mode, the volume control is locked at the max setting.

16. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Amazon sent an offer to former subscribers offering 3 months of Amazon Unlimited for $3 per month for 3 months. Has anyone else received this offer, and does it include HD?

Since I already subscribe to Apple Music and Tidal, I don’t need another service, and have no reason to switch.

17. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

It’s been heavily advertised as well. It does not include HD, so you have to pitch in the extra five and pay 8 bucks a month.

18. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

Just got email from Amazon announcing "Ultra HD Exclusives".

From the email:

"Only with Amazon Music HD, you can now stream a selection of the world's most legendary albums in Ultra HD. Hear all the depth, richness, and detail of your favorite songs, now in better-than-CD quality."

The email shows albums such as Lady Gaga Joanne and Ariana Grande Yours Truly. I'll check it out.

19. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Rickyyy, ClassicalCD and sunspot42 like this.
  20. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross have announced their Social Network score is now available in Atmos (and mentioned NINs The Fragile could be next)

JediJoker likes this.
  21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

It sounds like they're doing Dolby Atmos mixes of a bunch of catalog titles. I'm ready to be underwhelmed.

Stereosound likes this.
  22. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

The ironic thing is that I believe that the Frankenstein track is on one of Sony affiliated labels, and won’t be included in the remastering.

23. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

Now listening to Sarah Vaughan-Sarah Vaughan from 1953 in 24/96. This is one of their Ultra HD Exclusive titles. Sounds great to me.

sami likes this.
  24. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

Qubuz shows it available in 16/44.1, not sure about Tidal.

25. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Got a response from Qobuz about this:

[​IMG]
    dmackta

Hi all -- anything exclusive to Amazon is only temporary, Qobuz will have all the available 24-bit remasters from Warner and Universal after a short window. Not exactly sure how short.

I am pushing the labels to give the good people of Qobuz something exclusive.

AndyH, JediJoker and Staxus like this.