All 45 seasons of SNL coming to Peacock Streaming

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Timeless Classics, Sep 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Jeebus, what a loss! That's a great one. If they can't even keep stuff like that viewable, no way is this package worth subscribing to or paying for.

2. agentalbert

What is it? Security software won't let me hit that link.

3. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

The problem is that it wasn't written well enough to make its point. Then the infamous silence after the N-bomb is all down to McDowell's late entrance. But my point is, if they don't think that sketch needs to be hidden, 98% of the other "offensive" ones can be essily explained away as well.

MikaelaArsenault and BeatleJWOL like this.
  4. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I think it’s more we forget that there were still filler sketches there just as there was in later years. And also, the show still finding its feet (this applying more to the first season).

5. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I don’t know if you saw the documentary on Gilbert that came out not too long ago, but one thing I noticed was that everything in his life and career was covered, even the tweets that led to Aflac canning him, was covered...
    except his time on SNL. That was something he wouldn’t talk about.:laugh:

hi_watt likes this.
  6. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

No he talks about his SNL time on his podcast all the time.

hi_watt likes this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Eddie has talked about it many times on the podcast, including his relationship to Jean Doumanian (who was terrible), how much he liked Eddie Murphy, and how he found out he was fired via a fan letter a few hours before the new producers told him. I don't think Gilbert makes a secret of how miserable everybody was on that show.

hi_watt and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  8. 905

905 Senior Member

I appreciate all the info about the severe edits, if I didn't know any better I may have subscribed to Peacock thinking I was getting more complete shows.

9. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Its a Safelite commercial parody where Beck Bennett plays a repair tech turn stalker..

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  10. kevin

kevin Senior Member

The episode i'd like to see if they have it is the one where Van Morrison performed Domino and Wavelength on 11/4/78[unless those songs were cut].

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  11. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

Just checked and they only have the first five seasons up. Peacock stutters on my computer anyway.

12. agentalbert

Oh yeah, I remember that. That was very funny. I remember Safelite got upset about it. Shouldn't matter. I guess NBC sells enough adds to Safelite that they nixed it. Lame.

hi_watt, MikaelaArsenault and OldSoul like this.
  13. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

That episode's on Hulu. Van sings "Wavelength" and "Kingdom Hall."
    Saturday Night Live
    No "Domino." It's also not shown on the IMDB page for this episode.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Whoops, I meant GILBERT has talked about it many times on the podcast.

15. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Where can I find thispodcast

16. Avenging Robot

hi_watt and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  17. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Thanks but I meant when he talks about his times on snl?

18. Avenging Robot

There's no specific episode where he exclusively just talks about that topic. He has guests and the episode generally is focused on them. Pick an episode with SNL alumni but his time on SNL basically is mentioned in all of them albeit briefly sometimes.

His best quote I think about his time on SNL was this quote about Doumanian:

“She always struck me as the kind of person who would see a Marx Brothers movie and say, ‘I like that Margaret Dumont . . . but who are those gentlemen running around?' "

19. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I know that Charles Rocket is no longer with us, but man would I love to see a documentary on Season Six of SNL..

dlokazip, krock2009, agundy and 3 others like this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm surprised Gilbert hasn't tried to get Joe Piscopo on the podcast. Piscopo is actually a genuinely funny guy (or was), and he was one of the best things about the early 1980s SNL shows. As far as I know, he got along fine with Gilbert. And it's not like Piscopo is exactly busy these days. They would have lots to say about how awful Jean Doumanian was on SNL. She did produce a dozen of Woody Allen's movies in the 1990s, at least until he realized the distributor was totally screwing him on the financial end.

Yeah. The story was Jean Doumanian was the music act booker for SNL from 1975-1980, and for some reason the network execs decided she was next in line to run the overall show even though she had never worked as a comedy writer before. I watched a 1980 episode yesterday and noticed that none of the writers credits were familiar to me -- I think everybody from the 1970s quit en masse from the previous year because they knew what a train wreck it was going to be... or she brought in people she preferred (which might also be true). The 1980 shows are just jaw-droppingly bad. I remember at the time thinking, "wow, SCTV and Fridays are much, much better than this."

21. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

It is surprising, but Gilbert has been a guest on Piscopo’s radio show in New Jersey.

22. Avenging Robot

Apparently Harry Shearer, who quit mid-way through season 5 approached Doumanian once she got the job and told her that he knew some guys who knew what they were doing in regards to writing and performing comedy (I'm guessing he's referring to people like Christopher Guest) and Doumanian rebuffed him stating that she wasn't so sure she wanted proven professionals. If this is true, it's a impressive mix of arrogance and ineptitude.

23. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

Well, enough waffling about edits and such nonsense. I ordered the first two complete SNL seasons on DVD on Ebay. These are the official-release original sets with the complete episodes and all the music.
    Amazing that one has to go backwards to get uncensored TV shows from the fairly recent past, whereas with films, we now manage to get "directors' cuts" and longer versions on a regular basis.

Anyway, for my enjoyment and archiving, the DVDs will be just fine.

C.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, that's a famous story. Shearer was very bitter about his one-season experience on SNL, and as far as I know has never appeared in any anniversary shows nor was he approached to guest host.

I believe there was a "First Five Seasons" boxed set with the original cast, and that's the one I have. They did manage to get all the clearance for all the music, but 90% of it was live performances, so it only required a sync license. I think starting at some point in the 1980s, SNL required all music artists to sign an "all uses" license giving them the ability to syndicate their appearances forever in all formats (broadcast, syndication, cable, DVD, streaming, whatever).

They did a pretty good job at cleaning up all the old 1970s 2" master videotapes. The audio in particular was horrible back in those days, and they did the best they could. I think starting around 1982-1983 or so, they started recording the show in 16-track, so they had the ability to remix and re-edit the sound in stereo if necessary later on.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's very interesting. I'm glad there's no hard feelings between the two -- they're both very funny people, and I think Piscopo would be a fascinating and articulate guest for the show.

krock2009 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.