Syd Barrett Upcoming Releases *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RAZORMADE, Oct 4, 2020.

1. RAZORMADE

RAZORMADE I crawled out from the bottom in the dark... Thread Starter

posted October 4th, 2020: @pinkfloyd
    "Let's celebrate the music of Syd Barrett this weekend. Two Syd compilations were released in October: in 1988, Opel, and 2010, An Introduction To Syd Barrett (which will possibly be re-released next year for those who missed out on the original release)."

Perhaps this possible re-release is to coincide with the publication of lyrics David Gilmour was referring to during the family streams? "The Lyrics of Syd Barrett" hardcover due to be published May 2021.
    Will we finally see the release of the "Have You Got It Yet?" documentary by Storm Thorgerson & Roddy Bogawa? Will it include Nick's 5-piece Floyd tap dancing footage??

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    WvL, goodiesguy, bagstiv and 4 others like this.
  2. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

Yeah, why bother remixing Syd's solo material so it actually sounds good when you can just re-issue a posthumous compilation.

3. mcallister

mcallister Forum Resident

How about Arnold Layne Atmos mix that was made.....? Please

4. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

I think the Syd Barrett well has run dry years ago.

5. Felix Atagong

Felix Atagong Forum Resident

Well, Gilmour & Mason will find some spectacular unreleased tracks now and then, I'm sure. A bit like Yoko Ono finding a tape in a closet whenever there is a Beatles or Lennon compilation scheduled.

6. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

What mix was made? It wasn’t done. They just played multis on BBC show.
    Absolutely wrong

7. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

The Introduction To Syd Barrett compilation actually did exactly this, along with some pretty cool nuggets that are only available there.

Swansong, goodiesguy, kendo and 5 others like this.
  8. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Yes, anything of any note has already been released. Slim pickings.
    My only hope is possibly more film footage but that is increasingly unlikely.

Brettlowden likes this.
  9. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I wish that the "Introduction" double album had given over one side to "Rhamadam", the rest would make the other three sides comfortably.

10. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

You just wait....maybe "Doctor Strange 2" will have a couple of Syd songs on it...

11. mcallister

It was one of the songs at the “Mortal Remains” exhibition in the Sennheiser atmos room they had I believe.

markreed likes this.
  12. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

A tie-in compilation "Syd Barrett & The Multiverse of Madness".

Lownote30, jmxw, ARK and 2 others like this.
  13. mcallister

Hmm here is a link to where I read about this. Seems to maybe be some confusion, maybe someone has some more info?.....
    Andy Jackson mixes for Their Mortal Remains exhibition

hallucalation likes this.
  14. hallucalation

Where did everyone got that information from? Get a Random Precision or Complete Pink Floyd books and see that there's a tons of interesting stuff in the vaults from 1967 and from solo years. Stop spreading false information.

15. hallucalation

First time i've heard about that. They haven't remixed it for Early Years box set because they forgot that they have multi-track reel for it (according to Andy Jackson). So i doubt they did it

goodiesguy, zobalob and Chris M like this.
  16. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I guess its possible they could stick on Lanky Pt2 or cobble together a backing track of Millionaire. I'm assuming the session Syd did for the Committee soundtrack is MIA as well as whatever Living Alone was.

17. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I want Vegetable Man/Scream Thy Last Scream 7 inch single and the complete Syd solo recording sessions. That's reasonable, isn't it?

18. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I remember seeing Comberbatch all 'Stranged' up, walking into a comic-book store...
    Real missed opportunity, that the guy working there didn't ask him if Raimi was gonna put some Syd songs in the movie!

edenofflowers likes this.
  19. hallucalation

Arnold Layne (Stereo Remix)
    Candy & A Currant Bun (Stereo Remix)
    Untitled (Sunshine)
    Vegetable Man (alternate takes)
    Jugband Blues (Syd approved version, not LP remake with Norman Smith's army score)
    Reaction In G (Studio version, 10 minute take)
    Bike (RM1, alternate vocals/lyrics, no harmonium)
    Lucifer Sam (RM1, early version)
    Chapter 24 (alt take 5)
    Pow R Toc H (RM1, alt mix)
    The Gnome (alt mix)
    Take Up Thy Stethescope and Walk (alt mix)
    Interstellar Overdrive (rough mix, take 2 unedited)
    Paintbox (early version)
    Remember a Day (alternate mono mix)

This is just stuff from Pink Floyd...

There's a tons of alternate unheard takes from solo Syd's era. Living Alone is completely unreleased.

20. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

A bunch of different mixes I don't find interesting really but otherwise sure release that stuff if it exists but I doubt it will be anytime soon if ever.

Somerset Scholar likes this.
  21. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

There is nothing left of note. Alternate mixes. Stuff not worth releasing because it really is scraping the bottom of the barrel.
    Stop hoping for something that doesn't exist.

Andrew J, donohed, moodyxadi and 6 others like this.
  22. hallucalation

Reaction In G is 10 minute studio performance, should had been centrepiece of A Saucerful of Secrets
    Jugband Blues contains a different Salvation Army part, the one that Syd envisioned and which Norman redid.
    Bike contains completely alternate set of lyrics
    Lucifer Sam missing many of the overdubs from the LP
    Untitled (Sunshine) is aborted 3rd single
    Interstellar Overdrive is complete LP take, without edits per LP
    Paint Box is a early version containing unheard edit piece with Syd's backwards guitar.

Stereo remixes of Arnold Layne & Candy and The Current Bun - possibly alternate takes worthy of release too as well. The BBC preview from 2011 sounds amazing.

BBC masters of BOTH 1967 sessions with Syd in master tape quality. Not the abomination from bootleg land that had appeared on Early Years.

I'm not going to delve into Syd solo era. There's a boatload of stuff.

There's also enough of studio stuff from August 1967 to May 1968 to release 3-4 CD expanded edition of A Saucerful Of Secrets. With Mono CD and new stereo remix ala Beatles box set like Pepper.

Nothing more to release? Seriously? Stop writing nonsense, you have no idea what are you talking about. Attitude like that encourage Floyd camp to release crap product for crazy price.

23. RAZORMADE

RAZORMADE I crawled out from the bottom in the dark... Thread Starter

A Rooftop In A Thunderstorm missing the point perhaps :tiphat:

elaterium likes this.
  24. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Pink Floyd should release a 12" EP with new mixes of Vegetable Man and Scream Thy Last Scream and debut the studio version of Reaction in G on the b-side.

I think Syd's John Peel BBC session should also be reissued on vinyl and CD.

At the very least.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  25. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Re: The Lyrics of Syd Barrett. I wonder if someone got hold of Barrett’s typed lyrics? He kept them in a binder. Would finally like to see what some of the more obtuse, difficult to understand lyrics really are.