Current Paul McCartney news thread (interviews, articles, miscellaneous)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Paul McCartney And Alec Baldwin On John Lennon At 80

Hep Alien, andrewskyDE, Tord and 3 others like this.
  2. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Paul McCartney And Alec Baldwin On “Kansas City”

3. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Paul McCartney And Alec Baldwin On The Women In John Lennon’s Life

4. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I hope I look half as good as that when I'm 78.

5. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

On the BBC you can listen to the two parts of the show that Sean made.
    If you look just a little further you will see the complete interviews he taped with Paul, Elton, and Julian.
    They were later chopped up and put into the program, but the entire interview is available to enjoy as well.

6. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

It’s amazing ! I think that his positive outlook and diet play a big role. I always love seeing how healthy and good both he and Ringo look.

7. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I absolutely loved all of the conversations, especially between Sean and Paul, I’d love to hear them speak again in a longer form. Sean raised some interesting points about their musical connection and how he felt he could see Paul’s influence on “How?”. I also wanted Paul to respond with his views on “Mind Games” and “Number 9 Dream”; I wonder if he was silent about them because he doesn’t remember them or doesn’t know them ?

8. fdsfd

fdsfd Forum Resident

The most interesting thing about the Julian podcast was realising how much he sounded like John Cleese!

9. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Considering that Paul sent nothing, except a video from his last concert to Ringo for his 80th birthday, I have to imagine the real reason Paul is with Alec Baldwin is to talk about MIII. Baldwin hosts the popular NPR podcast Here's The Thing. I guess he was hired out by the Beatles channel to create some Lennon talk, but surely there's more to come in a podcast format.

supermd, theMess, Who Cares and 2 others like this.
  10. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

That’s a great theory - I hope you’re right!

CDC, theMess and Elliottmarx like this.
  11. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Can anybody share a link?

12. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

13. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

All Lennon at 80 specials, including the uncut McCartney interview: BBC Radio 2 - John Lennon at 80 - Available now

Including many cuts from the new remixes, which are being played on BBC Radio 2 since this week. Like 'Nobody Told Me' from 01:37:05 on in this program, otherwise not played during the specials: Sounds of the 80s with Gary Davies - Premier League - BBC Sounds

Yes, I've never hear him mention any other songs but 'Instant Karma!', 'Imagine', 'Beautiful Boy' and of course 'How Do You Sleep?'. Especially nothing from 1973/1974. I hope he even knows of the 'Beef Jerky' shout-out to him.

14. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

A well respected man likes this.
  15. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I would love it if you are correct; that certainly seems very likely and a great way of promoting the album.

16. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Paul recorded a Lennon at 80 radio special with Alec Baldwin that will be aired this week on 5he 9th on Sirius XM

Floater, mrjinks and theMess like this.
  17. A well respected man

I have a 1974 interview with him in which he talks about Walls and Bridges:

"It's a very good, great album, but I know he can do better. I heard I Am The Walrus today for instance, and that's what I mean. I know he can do better than Walls and Bridges. I reckon Walurs is better, it's more adventurous, it's more exciting."

But of course it was fresh back then. Maybe he hasn't heard John's albums in a long while and just remembers a few songs.

18. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

Interesting quote - thanks! I’m always curious about their thoughts on each others’ work after the split. I’d much rather hear about that than some of the minutiae that gets discussed on Beatle threads here.

19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

About a year later, in 1975, I thought that Magneto And Titanium Man wasn't as good as Eleanor Rigby or Penny Lane. ;)

No solo Beatle was better, more adventurous, and more exciting in 1974-75 compared to 1966-1967. (Although they did have their solo moments...)

I guess this was Paul's subconscious lashing out (in a pseudo-polite way) in response to the trash-talk that he was getting from John and the other Fabs in the early 1970s, until they all came around and decided that Paul was right about Klein.

supermd, Hep Alien, Floater and 3 others like this.
  20. A well respected man

Oh, sure. But there's something about John's solo career, and I'm not sure if Paul is hinting at that. John started writing only about very personal or very political/social matters. I remember something he said along the lines that good artists have to deal with very personal or very relevant issues, that Yoko opened his eyes about it. That's ok, but I think John lost his whimsical side, his surreal side. I Am the Walrus, to get to the point Paul made, is unthinkable in any solo Lennon album ("I was the walrus, but now I'm John", why couldn't he be the walrus for one song?). There are a couple of exceptions (#9 Dream comes to mind), but generally, I think John limited himself in his solo career.

With the other three, their solo careers lack the infuence and dynamic of the band, but they kept doing what they did in The Beatles. You can take any late Beatles song by Paul and find a place for it in one of his solo albums, the same goes for George and Ringo.

Yes, it seems that way.

theMess, Eska68, Floater and 2 others like this.
  21. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

And #9 Dream to me is one of his most Beatlesque songs. I wish he’d done more of that.

supermd, theMess, BeSteVenn and 5 others like this.
  22. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I just listened to the full interviews. Great stories from all these guys!

Who Cares and Elliottmarx like this.
  23. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Scheduled for Oct 11, 2020

9:30pm (CT) Paul McCartney (2018)

[​IMG]

supermd, tug_of_war, theMess and 7 others like this.
  24. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

A glimpse of the Sussex Studio while making some recordings a few months ago.
    [​IMG]

25. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

From what video?

Floater and omikron like this.