I bought 2,000 records for 40$

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by TheDynagroovy, Oct 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDynagroovy

TheDynagroovy New Member Thread Starter

Hey all. super random I know but thought I would share my first big record score from back when I was just starting out and I picked up 2,000 records for 40$. The year was 2014. I had just gotten into vinyl records after dusting off my father's old Sony Turntable and starting to spin his 100 or so old records from the 70s and 80s. I had taken two or three trips to my local record store buying 20 or so dollar bin records at a time based mostly on the look of the covers. About two moths in I typed in "records" on craigslist on a whim; I ended up stumbling on a local ad for "1600+ Records" with an asking price of 220$. The picture on the listing was of a shipping pallet completely loaded with 16 or so banker boxes full of albums. My whole body started shaking at the very thought of this many records all for sale at once; the only problem was I only had 40$ to my name. So..... casting aside all humility I sent out an email to the seller reading something along the lines of " Hey, I think your collection is awesome and honestly your asking price is way more than fair, however I am a broke high school student so I can only offer you 40$. I know this is a very low offer but it is all I have to offer. I hope you find someone to pay your asking price but if nobody else ends up wanting them let me know. Thank you for your time." I expected to never hear back from him until three weeks later on an otherwise uninteresting Wednesday when he sent me an email saying " I have been storing the records in my bosses' warehouse (some kind of lumber business I think) and he says I have until the end of the day to get them out or they are going in the dumpster so ill accept your 40$ offer". Extremely exited I drove out with my Dad the second school ended that day to pick up the records. When i got there I soon realized what was listed as 1600+ records was in fact about 2,000 records. It took only 10ish minutes to load them into the family van which was subsequently riding down on the shocks on the way home with no visibility through the rear view mirror. I conned a friend of mine into helping me haul them all upstairs to my room later that day. I had absolutely no floor space in my room for about three weeks until I finally talked my Dad into buying me an Ikea kallax 4 by 4 cube shelf and another 2 by 4 cube shelf to stack on top of that. The records filled the 4 by 4 completely and took up about half the 2 by 4. To be fair a lot of what I ended up with in the collection was classical, jazz, mainstream 60s pop and that kind of stuff but there were a lot of cool finds mixed in too and at 2 cents a record I wasn't about to complain. Sadly today I live in a small apartment and most of my records are currently in my parents storage unit as they have since sold the house (honestly really nice of them to let me take up like 1/5 of their unit which they pay for so I am not complaining). While I did bring most of my favorites with me when I moved out I can't wait until the day I move into a house and can pull the rest of my collection out of storage. Sorry this story was so long and thanks for reading.

2. Floyd Crazy

Floyd Crazy Senior Member

Great haul,
    Any rock or prog in that mother load of vinyl?
    It's great you saved them from going to the dump good for you and welcome to the forum,
    Floyd.:wave:

3. chazz101s

chazz101s Forum Resident

Your story wasn't long enough! I love hearing about this kind of great good luck.

Now, please list some of your favorite titles . . . specifics will be welcomed, I assure you.

And thanks, Chaz

quicksrt and Floyd Crazy like this.
  4. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Yeah, I want pics, descriptions, the whole nine yards. ;)

Tjazz likes this.
  5. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

And paragraph breaks too!

6. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Great find and great negotiating skills! You can always sell off some of the LPs on Discogs to get your $40 back and pay back your Dad for the Kallax cubes.

7. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident

That is an amazing find!

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

very cool story...back in the 70's I found 500+ albums from the 60's...mostly psychedelic, rock, folk...no popular...on the curb! I was blown away! all free...so many great titles...i.e: Neil Young's First (No name on cover)...

9. chazz101s

chazz101s Forum Resident

Reminds me of my exiting a local bookstore/record shop and finding a box of LPs on the ground at the rear bumper of my car.

I suspected that the shop made a lowball offer and the potential seller thought, "Eff you!" and the LPs wound up on the ground, all for me (some 30 or so - no motherload).

As I recall, the visible LP in the box was Johnny Cash on Sun (original issue, not the later knockoff)!

@Michael, more titles, please. . . .

10. Michael

some moew:
    Elmer Gantry
    mainly first pressings of many 60's bands...C.A. Quintet, The Shadows Of The Night, The Standells, The Seeds, Vanilla Fudge, Iron Butterfly, Elmer Gantry, Neil Young, Spooky Tooth, American Breed, and so much more...

11. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

That is what we call a SCROE.

On AudioKarma.

12. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

13. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

On the sidewalk.....free? Damn!

Michael likes this.
  14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Uh oh. I just bought 2 records for $275.

I gotta start shopping where the OP does.

Revolver and Michael like this.
  15. Michael

yes indeed!

Wally Swift likes this.
  16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Yeah, the 70's were like that. In Boston, you could find all kinds of stuff like that, especially come spring when the students ditched town.

Michael likes this.
  17. Michael

Indeed...: )

18. Michael

my condolences...

19. Michael

yea, I'd say on the top 5!

20. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Not at all. I'm a lucky man.

Michael likes this.
  21. Michael

congrats...

22. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

:tiphat:

Michael likes this.
  23. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Easily!

Michael likes this.
  24. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

OP just got here so he has some time before he can unload the SCROE here.

Discogs or eBay for you my friend.

25. Michael

: )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.