New Paul McCartney single is called "Ever Present Past"...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wollensack, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

2. Macca

Macca R'kid

3. Claudio Dirani

Sorry, I only had seen it at Amazon UK and JP.

4. Dave D

Dave D Done!

5. Wollensack

Wollensack Beatles maniac Thread Starter

The latest I have heard is that this song will be available for download on...drumroll, please...iTunes, starting around 4/30.

6. Claudio Dirani

Cool, but the "no iTunes" countries will go for the "InternetTunes" either way and well before that :)

7. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I understand that David Kahne has confirmed all but the last track listed here. I'm not sure if this is the actual order.

1. Dance Tonight
    2. Ever Present Past
    3. See Your Sunshine
    4. Only Mama Knows
    5. You Tell Me
    6. Mr. Bellamy
    7. Gratitude
    8. Vintage Clothes
    9. That Was Me
    10. Feet In The Clouds
    11. House Of Wax
    12. End Of The End
    13. Nod Your Head

8. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I'm not sure where it was -- perhaps the Paul McCartney official message board -- but I read somewhere that the last track ("Nod Your Head") will be the "exclusive" bonus track on the Japanese CD. This would make sense, given the zipzorp description of it as a brief throwaway and not as a proper "last" track of the album.

9. balzac

balzac Senior Member

It's too bad that Borders stores don't do another 1-track CD single sold for 50 cents like they did for "Fine Line." Of course, that Borders single was only made available well after I was able to get the 3-track Dutch single as an import, and well after the track had been available streaming on AOL and whatnot.

10. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I vaguely recall that "Fine Line" was available on ITUNES as well when it was first released as a "single." I don't use ITUNES, so I don't know for sure. But I recall reading that "Fine Line" was made available via a bunch of digital download services; Napster, ITUNES, etc.

11. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

12. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

I'm really excited about this. I was a huge fan of CHAOS.

13. Wollensack

Wollensack Beatles maniac Thread Starter

That's actually the week they are shooting for an "add", meaning the week the stations will 'add' it to their playlists. Radio will still get the single on Friday.

14. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

Cool, then I hope we get to hear it sometime this weekend. It should definately turn up on Usenet or somewhere.

:edthumbs:

15. 905

905 Senior Member

Same here... I am one of those who like Driving Rain as well, so I'm really looking forward to this album.

16. zipzorp

zipzorp Senior Member

"Ever Present Past" is a great choice for first single.

More song details:

The double-tracked vocals are sung in a low register during the verses, and are largely falsetto during the chorus (vaguely reminiscent of Sparks' Russell Mael).

The lyric is in some ways similar to "Friends To Go" (looking back in hindsight on childhood activities).

The rhythm/feel/tempo is similar to the "live a little, be a gypsy, get around" section of "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey". The entire track moves along at this pace and tempo, with a bit of slight rhythmic doubling-up on the chorus.

EPP is in the key of C-- the verse alternates between Dm7 and C. The "middle 8" section (in the key of F) features loud, crunchy electric guitar and some great pounding electric harpsichord.

After a concluding double-chorus section, the track ends on crashing C chord.

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Another Macca thumbs aloft for this anticapated release:thumbsup:

18. mfp

mfp Senior Member

:eek: That sounds an awful lot like a McCartney II outtake I heard on a bootleg.

19. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

I woke up to my alarm clock radio this morning to hear the following on the True Oldies station:

[paraphrased]
    "The new Paul McCartney single is called Ever Present Past. It's already leaked on the Internet. You can hear it at the site, www.stevehoffman.tv."

Pretty funny to hear this site mentioned on the morning news.

Now where can I hear that single? ;)

20. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Wow, this sounds pretty cool - nice description...can't wait to hear it. :thumbsup:

21. Macca

Macca R'kid

:eek:

Yeah, where is it Mr. Hoffman? :D

22. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

ZipZorp... anything you can share regarding lyrical/thematic content? With a title like that, I'm curious whether it's about trying to exist as a solo musician alongside the always-looming spectre of your old band (a topic of much discussion around these parts)...

23. Claudio Dirani

I've just had a brilliant idea: how about, instead of only reading about, we all join to a big listening party over here...if it's on the news, then it must be the truth! They would not lie to us, would they?
    Yes?:D

24. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

The McCartney II references scare me, that album wasn't exactly one of the mans shining moments?

25. Claudio Dirani

I've got a feeling the McII link is only about the "feel" of the song and not on the whole concept. However, zipzorp is the man to say whether I'm wrong or right...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.