Art Blakey Blue Note Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vibrolux_Reverb, Oct 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident Thread Starter

Pick your top 3 Blakey blue note albums. As possibly my favorite artist on this label, I am curious which albums people like the most. For me personally I have to go with Free For All, Mosiac, and A Night in Tunisia.

bluesbro likes this.
  2. backeast

backeast Forum Resident

Of the 25 listed I own only 3 so I didn't vote. Just wanted to say thanks for making the poll and motivating me to play Mosaic right now!

Rich-n-Roll likes this.
  3. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Mosiac? The title is Mosaic.

4. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah. It's all good. Everyone knows what I mean.

5. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I've been listening to Free For All a lot lately. Love it how the sheer intensity of the performances distorts the sound. A real audiophile nighmare! :D:love:

6. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Indestructible
    Night in Tunisia
    Moanin’

7. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Instant Dharma and Radio like this.
  8. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I hope no one picks Just Coolin

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  9. Leonthepro

Wish there was 4 options so I could include Free For All.

SteveFff likes this.
  10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

"Free For All" is my favorite. Just furious. "Mosaic" is my second and then close behind would be the darker "Indestructible". "Moanin'"could float into any of those spots depending on the mood.

Outlier is "Buhaina's Delight". Really a good album that struck me as such on first listen.

SteveFff and MikeManaic61 like this.
  11. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Free For All
    Moanin’
    Indestructible

12. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Forum Resident

Precisely why I love it! Blakey’s ferocious, distortion-causing press roll in the opening head of the title track always gives me goosebumps :love:

tug_of_war likes this.
  13. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Same

Instant Dharma likes this.
  14. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Indestructable
    Moanin'
    Big Beat

although if you took side one of Moanin' and side 2 of the Big Beat, that would be the perfect Jazz Messengers album.

15. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

What's the story with Art leaving blue Note?

16. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

My choices: Free For All, Mosaic and The Big Beat (which is a sentimental favorite as it’s the first Blakey album I heard).

tug_of_war likes this.
  17. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Man, this is tough! Moanin' is my all time favorite jazz album, so that's a quick kill. But it's about a dozen-way tie for second place!

Today, I'll go with Indestructible and Free For All, but that's reluctantly and painfully omitting a good number of other worthy contenders.

18. Mirror Image

Yes, we all knew the OP meant Mosaic, what are your choices for Blakey albums or did you come here to nitpick a simple spelling error?

19. Mirror Image

Yes, but then there are the two volumes of Meet You at the Jazz Corner of the World where there is noticeable distortion, but has nothing to do with the band’s intensity.

tug_of_war likes this.
  20. Luc.Benac

Luc.Benac Forum Resident

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  21. Leonthepro

Just Coolin is really bad I think. Listen to
    At the Jazz Corner of the World Vol. 1 it has a lot of shared songs and are played much better.

Luc.Benac likes this.
  22. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

I have spent the last year and a half or so getting to know nearly 20 of those titles. What a blast! I can’t pick 3 but I do love the live ones — and that new Coolin’ is a gift.

23. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

Free For All, Moanin’ and A Night in Tunisia. If allowed a fourth, I’d go with Indestructible. I guess that choosing the Mosaic 1960 complete box is cheating.

24. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

A Night At Birdland Vol. 1 is one of my favorite jazz albums, with the great Clifford Brown.

25. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Honestly, I haven't heard them all, so it's hard for me to say something definitive.

That being said, of the half-dozen or eight albums I have heard, Moanin' and Indestructible are absolutely at the top of the list.

Some of the others I have heard have incredible highlights, but then some somewhat more merely average or above-average cuts. I remember when I was listening to the Live At the Cafe Bohemia records when they were long being offered at $50 as recently as a couple of years ago, I heard some highlights and they seemed to be having some fun, and then I also heard some somewhat perfunctory playing such as exact same rhythmic riffs I had heard before from other prior albums (even from other rhythm sections), so it showed a little bit of a lack of imagination or coasting. Free For All is a candidate, but I wish it weren't quite so relentless. I wish there were a bit more of a balance. Still, it's an exciting listen. The title tune of A Night In Tunisia is stunning, but the rest of the album is a bit of a letdown, never reaching the heights of the title, opening cut. In that light, I only selected two.

I have never heard Africaine, but from reading about it, it seems intriguing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.