Soundtrack: Tarantino’s Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paperback Writer, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Engr91

Engr91 New Member

Listen to this disk in your car. Optimized for the auto? Me thinks so,QT talks in an interview aboutdrivin around with his father in law as a kid in his Kharman ghia....

Paperback Writer likes this.
  2. arriano

arriano The California Kid

3. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

I really enjoyed the soundtrack, and the track that surprised me the most was the good old Easybeats cover Bring a Little Lovin. No, scratch that, the biggest surprise was the Stones track which caused me to tell my wife "man that must have cost." I enjoyed the movie, my wife was very happy that it didn't end the way she was expecting. However, if you take the movie on its own terms Sharon Tate had no reason to be featured in the movie so much. Think about it.

4. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I don't agree. If the Sharon Tate character hadn't been featured in the movie, the ending wouldn't have been so thought-provoking (or as surprising) compared to what really happened. If only......

cwitt1980, Frozensoda, FJFP and 3 others like this.
  5. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

But taken on its own terms, Tate is given an elaborate setup just to invite Dalton over for a drink. Anything else you bring to it in order to be "thought-provoking" isn't based on the movie, but on other knowledge. Tarantino's Inglorious Bastards has the same rewritten history thing going on, but without the cheat of giving weight to a character only to hardly utilize them in the plot. That said, I actually prefer Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

6. Paperback Writer

Paperback Writer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Good article , concept and choices!

Ironically, very, very recently I also added both Crimson and Clover and I GotA Line On You to my sprawling EXTENDED OUATIH playlist on Spotify.

arriano likes this.
  7. bodine

bodine Senior Member

Great, but needed “Let’s Take a Trip” by Godfrey.

8. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

Hi Myke. I realize you asked this 6 months ago and probably already have your answer, but a couple of weeks ago, I bought the standard, black vinyl version of this soundtrack, and the initials in the deadwax are SS.

For what it's worth, I love this movie and the soundtrack.

Paperback Writer and Myke like this.
  9. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I liked the soundtrack much better than the movie which did admittedly have a satisfying ending.

10. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

arriano likes this.
  11. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

Ah... I thought only Gen Z did that...

arriano likes this.
  12. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I'm really glad I got this soundtrack. My 7 year old daughter has taken a strong liking to four of the songs and she asks me to play them everyday. At first she got into "Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show" because she thought "grab the old ladies" was hilarious. But she's all about the following two songs, "Don't Chase Me Around" and "Mr. Sun, Mr. Moon." She really loves "The Circle Game" as well. "Mr. Sun" was a revelation to me. I didn't know Paul Revere, etc. had songs like that. After listening to more of their stuff, I was thrilled to discover "Him or Me - What's It Gonna Be?" Wow. Where has that song been all my life!

cwitt1980, joelee, FJFP and 2 others like this.
  13. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

I'm halfway through the movie but enjoying the soundtrack so far.
    Many years ago I copied an air check from Reel Radio... 2 hours of unscoped (breakfast) radio from Robert W Morgan (1968).
    To my surprise they played a bit from it in the movie. Also the Helena Rubinstein commercial which I have in my collection.
    And THE SPIRIT OF '67 LP... will watch the rest of the movie tonight.

14. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I don't completely understand this quote. For most casual readers, they might assume that those songs in the movies and on the soundtracks are simply recorded off of Quentin's lps and 45s. It's hard to imagine that there aren't master tapes for almost every song he uses in his films. I know that some are a bit more obscure than others, but these aren't songs from 78's in the 30's and 40's.

Did I misunderstand her comment?

15. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

Sure sounds like that. Brings to mind the story of Scorsese using his 45s for the score of Mean Streets.

16. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Tarantino often uses his own LPs to soundtrack his films, I believe. I read he did the same thing with Jim Croce’s I Got A Name for Django Unchained.

whisper3978 and Paperback Writer like this.
  17. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Yes. Some of the songs sound like that. Also perhaps from radio recordings?

18. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

So I'm still a little confused with Out of Time by the Stones. I understand that QT was using all period music, and certainly Out Of Time fits the bill being initially released in 66 on the UK Aftermath and then on Flowers in the US in 67. But the version in the movie was the strings/demo version. While I'm no Stones expert, I thought that wasn't released until Metamorphosis in 75. Did that strings version, probably recorded in 65-66, get a release pre-1969 anywhere? I wonder if that's the only version they could license for the film... Maybe this has been discussed elsewhere but I didn't see it following a quick search...

Lewisboogie likes this.
  19. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Forum Resident

Good to see this wonderful thread again!
    Sorry Hobbes but I don’t have an answer for your Stones question....

Lewisboogie likes this.
  20. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Quite a few KHJ airchecks have been put on Youtube recently.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClLMdBY27U64-kwO-PlX57w/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=0

21. mr fish

mr fish Forum Resident

I managed to catch the film for the first time on Netflix and really enjoyed it and the soundtrack is a big part of that.

There are lots of big British artists who never made it in USA but this made me think about the reverse scenario. UK music papers of the 1960s generally printed the Billboard chart alongside the UK top 30 and you'd see groups like Paul Revere and the Raiders at No. 1. Obvious reaction was, what a cheesy name but you never got to hear any of their music. Their tracks in the film are actually really good.

Obviously, artists like the Beach Boys, Mamas & Papas, Creedence Clearwater, not to mention the entire Motown stable (!) made it big in the UK. I wondered though whether there were others in the Paul Revere category that should have been successful but, for whatever reason, didn't travel well?

22. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

I guess the Brits still have never forgiven Paul Revere. It’s been 250 years already. Move on!

arriano and Dartman like this.
  23. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

troggy and Simon A like this.
  24. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

troggy likes this.
  25. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

"Choo Choo Train" was undoubtedly chosen because it's on this KHJ aircheck dated May 25, 1968. It's the most heavily used aircheck in the movie, with several of the songs/ads included.