All 45 seasons of SNL coming to Peacock Streaming

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Timeless Classics, Sep 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member

For whatever it’s worth, the first five seasons seem to be uncut on streaming services.

For now, anyway.

2. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

In 1980 I commented to a friend about how bad SNL '80 was, and she argued "They'll get better! You have to give them time!" I tried to argue that the writers should have been good before they started on the show, but she wouldn't listen. I felt vindicated when Doumanian was fired. She probably wanted her SNL to appeal to the lowest common denominator!

krock2009, hi_watt and Vidiot like this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And I think pretty much all the 1980 writers were fired as well, basically anybody hired by Jean or loyal to her. It got pretty ugly. I love what Al Franken said some weeks later: "you couldn't find a worse person in the English-speaking world to produce the show than Jean Doumanian."

krock2009 and Steve Litos like this.
  4. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

Both songs are in the ep on Peacock.

5. Steve Litos

That skit with Malcolm Mcdowell is complete on Peacock with a few slurs that wouldn't fly today in context.

6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Wasn't she hired because basically she was the only one left who didn't jump ship with Lorne Michaels et all?

7. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Once again, "Wavelength" and "Kingdom Hall" were performed by Van on 11/4/78 — but not "Domino."
    This is confirmed by what's now available on Hulu,
    as well as the IMDB page for this episode...
    Saturday Night Live
    ...and the Setlist.fm page for this show...
    Van Morrison Setlist at Saturday Night Live, New York

He did perform "Domino" on NBC's Midnight Special the previous year, backed by the Elvin Bishop Group (wowza!):

:tiphat:

Steve Litos likes this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think all the former writers were very hot and got film deals and sitcom deals and all that stuff, so they opted to leave. I also think once they learned that Ms. Doumanian was getting Lorne's job, they kind of knew things were going to go south. The Live from New York book went into detail about some of the bad feelings on both sides that happened in 1980. Similar things happened when Dick Ebersol departed and Lorne Michaels returned in 1985. In fairness to Ebersol, he can rightly say he kept the show alive from 1981-1985, and if he hadn't done that the network would've cancelled it for sure.

9. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

If I remember correctly from my read of Saturday Night early this year, after Al Franken was taken off the table, the show talked to a few outside people, none of whom took the offer, so Jean was pretty much the only option left. I think Fred Silverman (or another exec) thought her Associate Producer credit meant she had decent experience, but she was really just a talent coordinator.

10. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

11. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

What I meant was: the network* talked to a few outside people.

12. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

these networks always promise everything and then you get scraps. cbs does that too, you get partial seasons from a lot of shows

ooof i haven't seen that season since it aired, i remember Charles Rocket saying the f word during a skit and feeling like it was the nail in the coffin. he had potential i think. and young eddie. but it felt like they were really scrambling for laughs

krock2009 likes this.
  13. Steve Litos

I just watched most of the truncated episodes of 80-81.

• It was mostly flat and sometimes a trainwreck.
    • Joe Piscopo was usually "ok". In most of the episodes he's at least in his "overamped" sportscaster bit.
    • Eddie Murphy does ok as a news contributor. Late in the season Mr. Robinson is introduced.
    • Charles Rocket...man on the street "rocket report" is ok. He's downright terrible at reading the news.
    • Gail Matthias...she's generally ok. Has a valley girl character that isn't embarrassing. Alas, like Charles Rocket, she's inept at the weekend update.
    • Denny Dillon... generally ok in skits. Should have been a returning cast member in a "normal" season.
    • Gilbert Godfreid funny guy out of his element.
    • Ann Ridley...no impact.
    Strangely, as noted on wikipedia, this cast and writers delivered an episode up to their potential on #7 with Karen Black. It was generally "ok".

The revamped cast/crew/producer actually delivered a pretty funny episode on the finale (#13). Piscopo does an extended Sinatra bit. Tim K. debuts "I married a monkey" and Eddie Murphy does Bill Cosby selling beer to kids.

14. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

The Live from New York book paints Charles Rocket as somebody who instantly thought he was a star as soon as he was cast in SNL and didn't do the heavy lifting required to think and act in such a manner.

15. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It's 2020. Someone will find it somehow sexist you called it "boob tube". :rolleyes:

16. Steve Litos

Anyways since 75-80 has all the musical guests intact, randomly I watched the pretty good Ricky Nelson episode from 1979 with Judy Collins as the musical support.

Judy Collins was really really really off key for someone known to be a pro.

It's probably up there as one of the worst performances in the history of snl.

She really had a bad night.

krock2009 likes this.
  17. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Even though the Joe Piscopo episodes may be flat I really want to see them in full as I watched them during their initial run. Really curious if the 3 Stooges sketch with him losing his pants as Curly is included.

krock2009, OldSoul and Steve Litos like this.
  18. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

That's ultimately what really matters!

krock2009 and goodiesguy like this.
  19. MarkTheShark

Remember when in the early 2000s, older reruns of SNL (from pretty much the whole history of the show up to then) ran at 2 a.m. as part of "NBC All Night?" I taped a bunch. They jumped around sometimes, but sometimes they'd run a whole season or a chunk of a season, in order. As far as I remember they seemed to be, if not 100% complete, fairly close and certainly better than only showing 25 minutes of a show.

I do remember one show from the Billy Crystal/Martin Short/Christopher Guest season (1984-85) having a "Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood" skit in it, which must have been there to replace something that was cut. And I think they even re-edited the opening to add Eddie Murphy as a "special guest" or "featuring" or something. (I don't remember which show it was, but it wasn't the one where he guest hosted.) But most of the time, the 1980-85 years were not featured very often.

I remember when they ran through Season 3 (1977-78), they skipped the one with O.J. Simpson. I understand why, but that show did have some classic stuff in it.

krock2009 and Dan C like this.
  20. MarkTheShark

I remember one skit in Season 5 where Harry Shearer does a commercial commemorating the accomplishments of Black people in America, with a coin whose name was partly based on the word "Krugerrand." I wonder if that one made the cut...

krock2009 likes this.
  21. MarkTheShark

I have Seasons 1-5 on DVD as well. I am glad to have them. I don't care for the fake dubbed applause they added at the points where they cut the bumpers going into the breaks, but other than that they are wonderful to have.

I was in junior high when I was watching these live. I too note some of the humor doesn't hold up (particularly all the drug stuff) but I remember I usually didn't make it all the way to the end of a show as a kid, and maybe that's why I remember it being better -- maybe the strongest stuff was placed earlier in the shows?

krock2009 likes this.
  22. MarkTheShark

After the F-bomb incident, they had one more show to go before the "house-cleaning." I have read Dick Ebersol was hanging around watching and seeing how the show worked before taking over. Bill Murray was the guest host. They did a skit where he gives advice to the cast. For Charles Rocket, he said "watch your mouth."

23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yes, they always deliberately put what they thought were the worst sketches in the last 30 minutes.

krock2009 and fluffskul like this.
  24. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I skimmed over the Peacock versions of the 1984-85 season (one of my favorites) and it appears all the Ed Grimley sketches have been cut. I presume it's because Martin Short owns the copyright to the character, having originated him prior to appearing on SNL? There must be a lot of convoluted copyright issues motivating all these cuts.

905 likes this.
  25. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Well that's a real disappointment, I must say.

Duke Fame, 905 and kevywevy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.