Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2020-2021 46th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by modrevolve, Sep 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Jack White was entertaining and I enjoyed the Sam Adams commercial.
    Other than that, I thought it was a weak episode again.

2. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Gotta be tough for Bowen Yang to get airtime when all you have in your bag is your "YASSSS QUEEN!" character.

Jimbo62, goodiesguy, intv7 and 6 others like this.
  3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Gotta be harder for the writers, whenever it comes down from on-high, that his appearances are vital to Tell The World How Open And Inclusive Saturday Night Live Is.

showtaper likes this.
  4. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Yeah taking on cancel culture by being as offensive as he can get away with on national television is pure Bill. Sad that more people didn't get the joke. Just about the only funny thing and I notice they have gone back to making things even worse by allowing those awful sketches to go on forever. They need fewer cast members and more writers.

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

He's completely one note. I just skip over him if he makes a WU update appearance at this point.

Jimbo62, goodiesguy, kouzie and 3 others like this.
  6. agentalbert

You have to hand it to Lorne, booking a national treasure in consecutive weeks. Can he make it three in a row? Who here is willing to slap the "national treasure" tag on Issa Rae?

7. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Pete Davidson - Soooooooooooo unfunny...

8. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I don’t get the appeal of Pete Davidson or Kate McKinnon. I find most of the cast unfunny, but maybe it’s the writing. I don’t get why the cast is so huge, too. SNL was best when they had 7-8 regular cast members.

9. Dillydipper

50% with you there. I do enjoy Davidson on Update, for his nebbish-y/slacker persona.

McKinnon was always "this year's blonde" to me, the player that SNL uses to suck all the oxygen out of the room from the other cast, as Amy Pohler did for years, as Kristen Wiig after (not that these ladies didn't deserve air time, only that I contend they were overused at the expense of others). I recognized her immediately from MADtv, which is funny because she was never on MADtv: just that manic, irritating cartoon-character repertoire. This week's "Doctor Weknowdis" was not written extremely well, but a clever 4th-wall-breaker, and she finally made me crack up.

Keith V and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Kate McKinnon is talented yet she gets on my nerves a LOT

agentalbert and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I didn't like McKinnon for quite a while, but she's semi-won me over.

She seems oddly out of place in last year's "Yesterday" movie, though. Everyone else plays their roles straight but hers feels like she's out of a different kind of comedy!

Not sure how much of that was Kate and how much was the script, as she got a pretty cartoony character...

Keith V likes this.
  12. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I didn’t know she was in that. I have it DVRd but haven’t gotten around to watching it. I’m kind of afraid to being a Beatles fan and being burned by the Across the Universe movie.

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I didn't like "Yesterday" much, but that was more because I thought it simply wasn't a well-executed movie and less because I'm a Fabs fanatic!

Yesterday [Blu-Ray] (2019)

Hall Cat and Keith V like this.
  14. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Thus far this season my main complaint is that everyone's timing is off. It's the biggest detriment to Jim Carrey's Biden. He's leaving to much space. I don't know if he's leaving space for a laugh or he's completely lost it. While watching these past two weeks I keep thinking that if he kept things moving the jokes would land better. This goes for much of what I've seen but Carrey is the biggest offender. I think it's effecting production too. More in the first episode than this past week. The camera cuts we're awkward and from what I remember in the first episode they jumped around a little because I don't think they knew who to shoot because the performers timing was strange.

I thought Update was great this week. It was a little scathing but I think it needed to be. I really enjoyed the fourth wall being broken. I found myself unsure of what was happening for a few seconds.

I think the mafia sketch was actually the best executed and pretty funny. I was surprised it was as late in the show as it was.

The sports caster sketch was also well done.

15. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

He's leaving SECONDS in between lines - and most of the time he's talking to himself. The show's timing is awful - and I have to think it's because they don't get enough time to rehearse.

Also when they have to say "You know me - I'm HERMAN CAIN!" or "That's right, my wife Jill Biden!" Where's the humor there? Just sloppy.

It's almost like spending time on writing and rehearsing comedy can produce larger payoffs in laughter???

16. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I agree. They've used that as a tool to introduce characters they're unsure if the audience will recognize for years. I'm not trying to justify that technique but I understand why they do it. The whole fly thing sunk that sketch. It was going well and was really funny until then. Maya is outstanding. I always forget how good she is until they bring her back. They should have just let her carry the debate sketch to glory instead of injecting Carrey's awkwardness and and irrelevant Herman Cain. I actually thought the perspective of the Herman Cain character would have been a brilliant standalone sketch sans the fly bit. There's a lot of potential for some great political and social comedy there.

I feel like I'm being dismissive of the significance Cain's passing. I just want to clarify that's not my intention.

17. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I'm 42 and I wouldn't have known June was pride month either. Why would I?

18. agentalbert

Same here. I knew there was a "Pride month", but if you'd asked me when that was, I'd have just been guessing.

19. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

I'm 50, and I knew that it's in June

20. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Same here. There are parades every June (except this one) in my city.

21. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Bowen Yang is horrendously unfunny. I've never laughed at a single thing that's come out of that guy's mouth since the moment he first appeared on the show.

Agreed, the cast is just too massive. I don't really get the logic behind having so many people.

22. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Even if there were parades around here, I still probably wouldn't have known. It's just not something that i would pay attention to, as it has no bearing on my life whatsoever.

goodiesguy and showtaper like this.
  23. Dillydipper

Burr was just overemphasizing that his stage character would not know that, "you're supposed to know" when Pride Month is. Part of his persona.

I sat through the whole sketch, and I don't even know when Pride Month is.
    I just read the thread, and the quotes, and I still don't know when Pride Month is.

24. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

It's mentioned twice on this page

BeatleJWOL and Billy Infinity like this.
  25. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Tuned in b/c of Bill Burr & wasn't disappointed...for me, his monologue was tops! :righton: Slamming all the constant PC & I thought he did it w/some aplomb. A difficult task in today's world. Valiant effort to bring funny back to comedy; loosen things up & people were extremely uncomfortable w/it, not knowing how to react, or if it was okay to react at all. Sad state of affairs. - All the "playing it safe" taking any edge out - the only edge anymore being political & when something's done steadily, there is no edge.. becomes repetitive, mundane, boring. That being said, they overplayed it, making a number of, if not all, Bill's sketches this. But, then, I don't find mining the same shaft entertaining.
    Pete Davidson, funny? :confused::thumbsdow Think it's more of a moral blackmail thing (his mental health) that he's still even employed there. :shake:
    Noted that Jack White gave the nod to Eddie Van Halen (R.I.P.):angel: - doing some finger tapping on guitar...Nicely done, Jack! :thumbsup: Only hung in w/remainder of the show to see if there would be more of an acknowledgement of EVH & while it was short & sweet, Bill Burr @ show close.
    Thought Chloe Fineman did terrific sendup of Drew Barrymore's talk-show :thumbsup: -- which I found to be abysmal; tuned in for about 5 minutes or so, if that.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.