Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Rough&Rowdy

Rough&Rowdy Forum Resident

I grew up watching only WWF/WWE, but as I got older I watched whatever I could get my hands on. My mind just went blank yesterday when I was thinking of matches :laugh:

I loved the Omega/Okada series from a couple of years back in NJPW.
    Bockwinkel/Hennig matches from 1986 and 1987 were great, too.

I've always been a big Daniel Bryan/Bryan Danielson fan - his matches in ROH against Nigel McGuiness, Samoa Joe, Kenta are wonderful. He had a few terrific matches in WWE too, but obviously slightly more toned down in comparison to his ROH days.

I've lost interest in the last couple of years, to be honest. I still watch a lot of classic stuff, but I'm finding modern WWE extremely tedious.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

If I remember correctly this was one of the few Hogan matches that was worth it.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  3. Rough&Rowdy

For all the criticism Hogan gets, and often rightfully so, there is no denying he was a master at what he did. For years he essentially wrestled the exact same match, but through his sheer charisma and wonderful selling during the match he whipped the crowds up into a frenzy. It was always frustrating that the finish of the match often disregarded everything that had been done prior to it, but it was still great fun to watch. He worked the WWF classic babyface style perfectly and I don't blame him for squeezing as much as he could out of the same formula.

4. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Yeah I can't really argue with that. I'm trying to remember more matches beyond the Boss Man one and the Savage ones that really stand out. I can't remember the in ring standouts. Andre? One Man Gang? Vader? Tugboat :)
    Flair vs Hogan never really happened in the WWF glory days, but Savage/Flair made up for it.
    I gotta sing the praises of Ted Debiase. A great wrestler with a great gimmick that makes me smile just thinking how low-brow evil it all was.
    "everybody's got a price" lol.

5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

if I remember early 1990's when flair came to wwf they were going to have Hogan vs flair but instead did flair vs savage and Hogan vs someone else at a PPV for some dumb reason. maybe it was crowd reaction or something

Sammy Banderas and blutiga like this.
  6. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I knew they did some first up arena matches, but just doing some reading now, it says what you are saying too, that the original arena matches didn't catch on. I haven't read any of Flairs books, maybe he goes into detail about it. I was so glad when Flair came to the WWF though. In those days it was nearly impossible to get NWA tapes out here. WWF video was much more available, so I finally got to see a whole run of Rick Flair. Occasionally there were Wrestling fans who would get the latest NWA pay per views and organise events where you could go and enjoy wrestling NWA style. But I always felt I was missing out on my fix of Rick Flair. So that WWF Royal Rumble was fantastic stuff. Then being a Randy Savage guy as well, I got to see Macho Man get the title again. My perfect WWF moments!

Sammy Banderas and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Matthew Tate

I need to see if I have those matches somewhere when I get home

blutiga likes this.
  8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Dugan and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Daniel Plainview

What's interesting about Hogan/Bossman is there are like 3 different cage matches out there on youtube and they are all variations on the same theme.

I remember watching the match on MSG channel as a kid at the time and wondering why they were doing the exact same things they did in Saturday Nights Main Event. Did they think we hadn't watched both events?

In Boston I'm guessing they didnt do the superplex angle as it wasnt the reinforced cage, but they still did the double knock out:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x49dtw

Hulk Hogan vs. The Big Boss Man: WWE Championship Steel Cage Match - Saturday Night's Main Event, May 27, 1989

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    blutiga, 905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Daniel Plainview

11. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Well-Known Member

WWE has way too much content nowadays to keep up. During the 1990s for awhile there was a 1-hour long episode of Raw a week. Now there is a 3-hour Raw, 2-hour Smackdown and 2-hour NXT every week. The empty crowds doesn't help. I really wanted to get into New Japan, but the time zone had the shows early in the morning and I couldn't never get up in time to watch it.

Rough&Rowdy and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Well-Known Member

This is a wrestling promo so cheesy I laugh every time I watch it.

Matthew Tate and MikeInFla like this.
  13. Matthew Tate

too much content and not enough talent that can carry matches to pull it off. AEW and ROH are much better to watch but man do I miss pre 2016 ROH and pre 2011 TNA wrestling or whatever year they got rid of the 6 sixed ring at first

14. Rough&Rowdy

^ There is plenty of talent in WWE, but nobody really stands out. I look at the shows today and it all looks and feels the same. I think when talents like The Rock or Brock left and became bigger than the company, Vince made a conscious decision that the brand is what should sell, not any particular superstar. I see a bunch of 'stars', but there are no superstars and certainly no megastars. It's very bland, which is shame because I'm sure there are guys that could really shine but everything is micromanaged and it allows for no spontaneity or natural development.

There will never be another "Austin 3:16" speech because nobody has the freedom to come up with anything that's from the heart.

Stormrider77, Matthew Tate and Dugan like this.
  15. Rough&Rowdy

Oh yes, Dibiase was tremendous. He was a great foil for Savage in 1988, and his little skits are very memorable. There's a great one where he offers a little kid money if he can dribble a basketball, but then kicks the basketball away at the last second :laugh:

Hogan had some great matches if you can just sit back and appreciate the entertainment value.
    I love his match with Sid at Wrestlemania 8. The way he's attacked during his entrance but fights back and kicks his ass and then does his poses, all while his entrance music is still playing. Crowd goes nuts, it's brilliant. Capped off with the return of the Warrior at the end. Old-school at it's best.

905, blutiga and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Younger people who never saw Hogan in his prime in real time will never get it. The pops he used to get were off the charts. Think of the ones Daniel Bryan was getting when the YES movement was at its peak. Hogan was getting those pops every night for years. And yeah, his matches were often good. It's not always about jumping around like an acrobat like Shawn Michaels and doing crazy moves and then kicking out of 44 finishers. It is about telling a great story. Take WM3. While Hogan/Andre might not have been a masterpiece in on the mat wrestling, it told an incredible story. I can still get goosebumps watching that match. The cage match against the Boss Man being talked from SNME in '89 was also awesome and a favorite of mine.

Damn, I forgot about DiBiase! One of my favorites as well. Awesome heel and the best laugh ever.

17. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

It's really a shame that DiBiase was never given a run with the world title back in 1988. After the twin referee storyline that was used to get the belt off of Hogan, DiBiase getting his just desserts at WM4 was awesome, but winning the belt from Savage at one point before dropping it back would have been great, but title changes were rare back then, and I get that they were slowly building to the inevitable Hogan/Savage match at WM5 and Savage needed to look as strong as possible going into that match, and a title loss along the way would have taken away some of his steam.

18. Matthew Tate

i saw hogan in his prime. i'm close to 40 so was a kid watching him late 80's when i got into wrestling. as a kid i knew how big he was. i love him and the ultimate warrior but even at about 10 i would often think to myself that the ultimate warrior and hulk hogan always had similar styled matches. warriors matches were often short. hogans were often him getting beat a bunch and then hulking up. did he have great matches? sure he was in the business about 30 years so i would hope he did. usually though it depended on the chemistry he had with his opponent

btw you are the first person i heard describe HBK as jumping around like an acrobat

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    Sammy Banderas, MikeInFla and blutiga like this.
  19. Matthew Tate

yet let me rephrase that. wwe has no clue what to do with the talent so they don't have enough product to fill that much time. they have no clue what to do with balor, the 4 guys in the undisputed era who are great and starting to get old, robert roode, etc. they bring back EC3 and do nothing with him. they waited too long to bring in aj styles and samoa joe. they are lost.

George Co-Stanza and Rough&Rowdy like this.
  20. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

I fixed it for you. :wtf:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. The problem with WWE right now as I see it: VKM.

I’ve heard/read that he’s getting worse and worse about last minute changes that are driving the Talent & the Writers/Bookers crazy. NXT is somewhat better because he isn’t as involved.

I think he is just out of touch & in his own World. I would love to see him turn over final control to one of his Family (or each successively over a period of a few years) and see if they can straighten it out.

#1. AEW
    #2 NXT
    #3 RAW
    #4 Smackdown

Dead Last: Impact

Haven’t seen ROH or NJPW in ages (since Axs stopped carrying it so they could showcase the new owners product: Impact - BIG mistake IMO). I would have ranked NJPW #2 when it stopped being carried.

Haven’t tried the other promotions.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Matthew Tate

lol i didn't want to call out a specific person

Dugan likes this.
  23. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

People our age grew who up in 80s when Hogan was larger than life had lots stuff like WWF wrestling figures, WWF Magazine, and Hogan posters on our walls. And then he was huge again during the Attitude Era with the nWo when wrestling was at its peak popularity. Wrestling was so popular when I was in high school guys would wear 3:16 t-shirts and we’d have big PPV gatherings.

905, blutiga, MikeInFla and 2 others like this.
  24. Rough&Rowdy

I'm not sure Dibiase should have held the belt in 1988 because the Mega Powers slow build was perfect, but he could've taken the belt off Hogan in 1989 and held it for a while.

The Mega Powers is interesting because anyone with a normal brain can see that Hogan is doing all the heelish stuff! He's absolutely inappropriate with Miss Elizabeth, he dumps Savage out of the 1989 rumble. I can totally understand why Savage flipped. Team Macho all the way for me :agree::laugh:

Hogan was also in the wrong at the 1992 rumble. He gets eliminated fair and square, cries like a baby and grabs Sid to try and pull him out! It's amazing he was cheered for so long when he was pulling that type of crap :laugh:

25. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Speaking of Ted I loved this. Perfect heel shenanigans.

On the real story behind the time he kicked a basketball out of a child’s hand:

TD: Number one, it was all planned and rehearsed. When we did it live he was a little boy, my voice was very deep and carried and when I told him, “You don’t get the job!” He got scared and he ran to his mother but you can be assured they got the money. They got the money and they knew they were going to get the money from the get go. It was all just a part of the show.

On whatever happened to that little boy:

TD: It’s funny, years later I go to Omaha, NE, I am renting a car and this guy taps me on the shoulder so I turn around. I am looking at his chest, I look up at this guy who is about 6’6″ and he looks at me and goes, “Good to see you Mr. DiBiase, can I help you find a car? I am the manager here.” I said, “Sure, help me find something that can fit both of us!” He said, “By the way, do you remember that kid you did that thing with the basketball?” It was just the look on his face and I go, “No way!” He goes, “It’s nice to see you again!” (Laughs) I ran into that little boy as a full grown man. It got better, he goes, “I actually went to college on a basketball scholarship.” That was too much. I said, “See what I did for ya!” We both laughed and he said, “Well, I got drafted by the Lakers but I didn’t make the final cut.” He was obviously doing pretty good for himself.

Matthew Tate, 905, Dugan and 4 others like this.