Iain Matthews Appreciation Thread--solo, album by album + track by track (pg. 18)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Jul 19, 2017.

1. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

A high point of my time with Iain. We were on the same bill with Nick Lowe/John Hiatt band.

Record Rotator and oboogie like this.
  2. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Nice! Tell us more or PM me please!

Record Rotator likes this.
  3. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I played guitar with Iain for about four years, '80-'84. (That's me in the white shirt.) Iain was living in Seattle then, post-Spot Of Interference. He joined up with myself and David Surkamp (ex-Pavlov's Dog) in a band called HiFi. That band ran its course by early '83 (toured the western U.S. and Canada, cut an e.p., an album, and a single). Iain got a record deal in '83 in the UK, asked me to join up with that outfit, we went to London and recorded Shook for Polydor. Did a fair amount of live work and TV in England and Europe 'til the summer of '84, when that project had run its course.

Arie, Man at C&A, oboogie and 2 others like this.
  4. lemonade kid

Great to see this...and you are playing some nice licks. Anymore youtube vids of that time with Iain would be cool to see...share em if you know any.
    My impression of Iain is a classy and nice guy, and a professional in every way. You must have some great memories of those times.

bhazen and oboogie like this.
  5. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

lemonade kid and oboogie like this.
  6. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Another, same gig

oboogie likes this.
  7. lemonade kid

Fantastic....Iain always puts together the best of the best in his live bands. This is a stunning performance, BH.

bhazen likes this.
  8. lemonade kid

Nice! "Nights In Manhattan".
    This may just be my all time favorite Matthews song.
    What a refreshingly different arrangement.

Iain's ageless voice:

"...arguably the most graceful male voice of our times..."
    --All That Jazz.com

Thanks!

:tiphat:

oboogie and bhazen like this.
  9. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

You are welcome. "Sights In Manhattan" was one of a batch of late-period HiFi tunes that never got a release, some of which this band did (a couple ended up on Shook ... "Indiscreet" another one ...)

10. lemonade kid

Yes...Sights In Manhattan...I always mix the title up with the compilation CD. So that tune existed before 1990 on the recorded incarnation of it on Pure & Crooked. Cool to know.

bhazen likes this.
  11. lemonade kid

Hey bhazen (your being a member of HI FI with Iain inspired me to search out the album from 1982)
    and everyone...

A really fine album!

[​IMG]

Hi-Fi (2) Featuring Ian Matthews* And David Surkamp ‎– Moods For Mallards

Label:
    First American ‎– FA 7795, First American ‎– FA-7795
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album
    US
    Released:
    Genre:
    Rock,
    New Wave, Power Pop, Pop Rock

Tracklist
    A1 Walk Away Written by Shelton/Matthews
    A2 Blue Shirt Written-By – Shelton*, Matthews*
    A3 Holding Out For Rain Written-By – Surkamp*, Matthews*
    A4 Throw A Line Written-By – Shelton*, Matthews*
    A5 S.O.S. Written-By – Matthews*
    B1 Knocking On Your Door Written-By – Surkamp*, Rayburn*
    B2 Desire Written-By – Shelton*, Matthews*
    B3 Time After Time Written-By – Surkamp*
    B4 When You Were Mine Written-By – Prince
    B5 Alcohol Written-By – Surkamp*

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  12. lemonade kid

13. lemonade kid

HI-FI The Complete Collection Rockville (2012)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hi-Fi was a short lived, early 80s band featuring former Pavlov's Dog vocalist David Surkamp and Fairport Convention/Matthew Southern Comfort and top 20 singles artist Ian Matthews. And as is often the case with a band featuring two apparent disparate talents, the project came about in a haze of mutual disillusionment. But with boundless energy, just enough material and 3 guitars in the ranks (Bruce Hazen is on third guitar), Hi-Fi had a musical statement to make.

The band originally cut a 5 track live EP under the title of 'Hi-Fi Demonstration Record', and later recorded an album 'Moods for Mallards' as well as a Christmas single, plus some belated Surkamp tracks added here as a bonus. The 20 tracks and DVD are a de facto summary of a band who had jettisoned their collective baggage to kick out the jams with a post punk/new wave energy that brought out the best of both Surkamp and Matthews

'The Complete Collection!' is a triumph of interesting up tempo arrangements, lashings of guitar riffs, Surkamp's uniquely imposing vibrato and Ian Matthews's prominent role in the band. This is especially evident on the accompanying 5 track DVD with telling interviews that humorously poke fun at the fact that both David and Ian had no interest in the other's music, but undoubtedly sparked when playing together.

There's an undoubted tension born of different personalities, but it fuels a rip roaring session that would have been lost to the world but for this excellent new release.

All in all, 'The Complete Collection!' is an excellent compilation, and although some of the music is very much of its time, there's plenty of sparkling band interplay. For every synth embedded moment and new wave nuance there is a strong song based band performance to compensate, as exemplified by a cover of Prince's 'When You Were Mine', which is predicated on a programmed synth line, chiming guitars and angst ridden vocals.

Curiously this track and the equally impressive 'Throw Me A Line' finds Surkamp's edgy vocals pre-dating Arcade Fire by a couple of decades.

Most of the material sounds fresh, exciting and just about on right side of the gritty power pop.

Opening with a bristling guitar instrumental 'Savage', the band head straight into the big hitting 'Heart Of Mine', which is arguably the best Surkamp/Matthews collaboration. David counts in a funky groove which makes great use of three part harmonies and a magnificent wall of guitar sound with spiky solos.

'I Can't Fade Away' also appears on the DVD and is a new wave piece with chopped chords and a Tyla Gang feel, and is very much of its time.

'9 O'clock' sounds a bit like Tom Petty as David fills the track with his effortless vibrato over the three guitars. Best of all is a cooking version of John Martyn's 'Man In The Station' with its big opening guitar riff and as the band jams out on a brilliant arrangement, Ian takes the lead and the guitars spar thrillingly.

David's 'Walk Away' is also a veritable lost nugget, and is superbly showcased on the DVD. There's also a change of mood and pace with the brooding feel of another DK/IM co-write 'Holding Out For Rain', the hi-energy 'Throw Me A Line', and Ian's minimalist 'SOS', which combines a news snippet, electronic handclaps, a processed voice and a constant synth pulse. It all works superbly well as a collage before Surkamp's vibrato rises again on the catchy hook of 'Knocking On Your Door'

There's a real energetic feel to the sessions that on occasions makes some songs special and at other times rescues a few lost causes with unquestioned commitment. This is especially so on the sleazy Ian Hunter style vocals of 'Desire'.

And buried in the middle of 5 bonus tracks is the quite magnificent 'She May Call You Up Tonight'. With its booming chorus and essential band interplay - all superbly captured on the DVD - it's hard to believe this was an outtake. The 20 track compilation finishes with a cover of 'Louie Louie', complete with a robotic rap by guest Curtis Grey and an unlikely but totally convincing big choral finish.

'The Complete Collection!' has an inherent irreverent feel and boundless energy that borders on optimism. And if the good times didn't last, then at least this compilation is the very best reminder of a great musical project.

Review by Pete Feenstra

14. lemonade kid

track 1) Walk Away (Surkamp)

...thus is such a great first track!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    bhazen likes this.
  15. lemonade kid

track 2) Blue Shirt (Shelton/Matthews)

A great New Wave vibe and so much fun to hear!
    Love all the guitar work, Mr. Hazen.

16. lemonade kid

track 3) Holding Out For Rain (Surkamp/Matthews)

Note: these are from the 1982 LP track listing and are minus the bonus tracks from the collectible Collection release in 2012

17. lemonade kid

track 4) Throw A Line (Shelton/Matthews)

Another great New Wave track. Full of energy and wonder.

18. lemonade kid

track 5) S.O.S. (Matthews)

A slowed down tempo, a menacing timelss number...love it.

19. lemonade kid

side two

track 6) Knocking On Your Door (Surkamp/Rayburn)

I do love this mix of Iain's sensibilities with various assembled New Wavers...pretty cool.

20. lemonade kid

track 7) Desire (Shelton/Matthews)

Some nice sizzling lead guitar licks to open it all up...joined by great harmonies.

21. lemonade kid

track 8) Time After Time (Surkamp)

Instant love here...powerful vocal work, and great backing harmonies once again.

22. lemonade kid

track 9) When You Were Mine (Prince)

Nice..it has a Lindsey Buckingham/Fleetwood Mac vibe to my ears. Excellent

23. lemonade kid

track 10) Alcohol (Surkamp)

On fire. Great Closer

24. lemonade kid

Here is a wonderful track that was included on the full HiFi Collection...great Left Banke cover!

She May Call You Up Tonight--live from 1983 Rockpalast, Hamburg

25. lemonade kid

Today, after a 24 hour power outage here in Northern New England...
    getting back into the music from a truly favorite Iain LP, "The Dark Ride".
    I absolutely love this opening track, from a stunningly fantastic LP.

I Drove

Ahhh...post number 1000! Cool.

SquaRoots, Beaneydave and oboogie like this.