Better Call Saul - Season Five Discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Sep 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

You watched 4 seasons and weren't in to it ?! I'd think you would of made up your mind after 1.
    To the last post, it was written in such a way that I don't believe you'd have to have seen BB necessarily to watch but you'd appreciate it more having that full backstory.

2. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

I didn't even know the Breaking Bad movie of last year had come out til near a month ago; and that it was the whole reason why we may never see season 6 of Better Call Saul. It certainly wasn't worth the trade-off (or even being made).

Lonson and lc1995 like this.
  3. Playloud

Playloud Nobody’s Hero

Without having seen Breaking Bad I think you would be missing that nervous feeling of dread as BCS nears it’s conclusion. It’s the car accident you just can’t look away from. What happens to Kim and/or Gene is probably not going to be a Disney ending.

4. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

How could that even be the case when BCS S5 aired after El Camino?

MikeInFla and Jerry Horne like this.
  5. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025) Thread Starter

What makes you say this?

Season 6 is being written now and they are looking forward to filming it.

lc1995 and Chrome_Head like this.
  6. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Yes , the delay with the writing was Covid. It was said to be due to be filmed this Sept. I haven't heard more on this since but I know filming in general got pushed back a few times over these past few months.

7. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

Sorry, bit pedantic of me, but BCS is the backstory, isn't it?

I hear what you're saying about it being written to stand alone, the first few seasons probably can, but that extra appreciation of having seen BB might have been the difference between sticking with it or not for John B Good.

His post, to which I responded, mentioned "that damned excavation". It's interesting to me as a BB fan to see how a major part of that world comes into being, but for a non-BB viewer it's just an underground bunker being built for some unknown reason, its significance not apparent, and so perhaps is not very compelling as a storyline.

Having said that, I'm sure there are plenty of viewers enjoying BCS just for its own sake, and if there are any here it'll be interesting to hear what they make of BB once BCS is over.

Won't some of the mystery be gone, particularly when it comes to a character like Gus Fring for instance? Will BB be a bit less amazing if you're already familiar with some of these incredible characters, who we got to meet fresh? I don't know, unanswerable I suppose.

Anyway, I would recommend watching Breaking Bad first if anyone were to ask me, which they haven't, and are not likely to. :)

John B Good, Linger63 and Tim S like this.
  8. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I love Better Call Saul in a major way, but I wouldn't recommend watching it without having seen Breaking Bad. Yes it comes first chronologically in storytelling, but so much of how the show is framed is based on the viewer having seen Bad already. For instance, the introduction of
    Los Pollos Hermanos (that lingering shot on the franchise location)
    or
    Gustavo
    lose all meaning if a person's not familiar with them already. It goes from "AHHHH look what it is!!!" to "Okay, another new element. Why are you jumping off of the couch and pointing?"

9. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

Breaking Bad ended in 2013 and that was at a time when everyone watched the same things (more so than today at least), I'm surprised there are still people who haven't seen it
    That being said, I strongly advise against watching BCS without watching BB first, for the reasins others here mentioned. It just isn't meant to be watched like that IMO.

10. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

The very end of BCS will probably be AFTER BB chronologically, so that's even more of a reason to not watch BCS without BB.

11. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I was just about to add the same comment in a reply to your initial post, and looking forward to the end(?) of the Gene Storyline.

MikeInFla likes this.
  12. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Ha, yes but having come before I called it backstory. I see the poster's point about building the underground but this show loved to stretch a lot of things out that were frankly not compelling.
    Definitely often too slow especially in first couple seasons , but overall a good job at creating this whole other pre BB world.

Dayfold likes this.
  13. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

I was just told by a friend of mine who works on the show that filming wont start until March 2021. Will most likely air in early 2022. Ugh!!

Chrome_Head likes this.
  14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Ugh, indeed!

15. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Wow, long time !!
    Can't forget where they left off thought with that dramatic ending w/ Lalo and Nacho. I can't say I remember what Jimmy was up to last though. Kim and Jimmy plotting against Howard??
    Wonder why they are waiting that long when others have resumed production.

16. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Jesus--more than a year and a half between seasons. Guess that gives them plenty of time to get the ending of the show right.

MikeInFla likes this.
  17. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

I think they will and given the ending of BB they know exactly how it all escalates so they don't have quite as much to fill in. Yes they have some smaller maneuvers to make with Nacho and Kim, and from the time Saul leaves his office to becoming Gene if they even get that detailed. I don't want to see any more Howard and I hope Kim isn't stretched out too much more. I found her mostly tiresome this past season.

18. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I like Howard and I've wanted to see more of him for a couple of seasons, but I'm really skeptical about this whole "let's get howard" plotline. YEs, I trust these writers, but it just doesn't seem like a good move to me.

19. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

This would be like Anna Kournikova saying that she would love to go out with me for a weekend at a Rocky Mountain Snow Resort(Snowboards not even needed), but she is not free until 2022.

As Tom Petty would say:

Nightfly68 likes this.
  20. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Agree Tim, Howard doesn't deserve one of their schemes .
    The Waiting, :) one of my favorites by the great Tom Petty.

21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Any word of a season marathon on the horizon? I missed the one on (was it Memorial Day, or 4th Of July) Weekend, and I'm missing the third-from-the-last episode of the season, and don't want to blow past it!

22. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Season one of BB looked like a orange filter was used.

24. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025) Thread Starter

Season 5 Blu-Ray just landed. No slipcase.

Now to decide to watch it now...or start a slow massive re-watch of Breaking Bad and BCS 1-5 leading into S6.

This is important stuff. I'll have to think about it.

kouzie, Nightfly68 and Tim S like this.
  25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Just watched complete season 5, absolutely brilliant. :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.