Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. 905

905 Senior Member

I've been skimming through Prime Times on the network and recently watched the Hennig-Bret match, pleasant surprise to come across it finally.

2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yup i remember all of that.

905 likes this.
  3. Matthew Tate

i still can't believe the million dollar man or rick rude never had dvd releases with a bio and matches. to show you though how great workers these guys were and how they always bring out the best in whoever they faced i just counted and i have 21 million dollar man matches on dvd and 16 rick rude. thats a ton of matches by guys who were never the tip top talent in wwf/wwe or wcw. usually thats what most of the matches on dvd's are from. rarely does the wwe pull from other companies outside of a dvd focusing just on that specific company

4. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I probably could have worded it better, but I was never a huge fan of the guys like him who dove around like crazy. Guys who wrestled more on the mat like Flair, Hennig and Flair were more to my liking. Plus, Michaels was a prick of the highest order in the 90's, so I never liked him and am never good about complimenting him too much. :)

Yeah, Hogan definitely did heel tactics at times, even during his massive face days, but often times it was to counteract the heels you loved to hate, so the fans were good with it.

I still can't believe how badly Vince bungled the Flair/Hogan thing in late '91/early '92. I know the steroid thing was becoming a story, but how Hogan/Flair didn't main event WM8 is still the biggest WTF ever. And having Hogan act like the heel with crying about Sid eliminating him as Flair was winning the Rumble only made him look bad, which seemed odd since I would have thought Hogan would have been booked to look as strong as possible heading into the inevitable match vs Flair, ya know the one that never happen in '92. I guess, if you believe the way Sid tells it, Vince didn't expect the fans to boo Hogan and cheer Sid there.

Totally agree. I still think Rude should have been giving a better push in '89/'90. His I-C run wasn't great (his only televised title defense prior to SummerSlam saw him get dominated by freaking Hacksaw Duggan en route to a countout loss), and the feud with Warrior in '90 was a waste since no one in their right mind ever thought Rude would win the title. The Warriors being a dud as the world champ sure didn't help either.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    Rough&Rowdy, blutiga and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Matthew Tate

to me HBK is the greatest in ring performer ever. he is the only guy who started in the 80's that i saw adapted to where he was still relevant and exciting in the 00's.

i enjoyed the feud with the ultimate warrior but you are right we knew rude wasn't going to win

905 and blutiga like this.
  6. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Some guys never needed the prop to get over.

When I was a kid a "high flyer" did drop kicks and flying head scissors. And thats it. Think Greg Gagne

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Matthew Tate

whats the prop? the only thing you named that HBK also did was elbow drops and moonsaults which are standard training now

8. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I always liked it when Honky Tonk Man got hit over the head with his own guitar. That was a great gimmick too. And you had Jimmy Hart walking around the ring with his megaphone encouraging him...'c'mon Honky' :D

905, Matthew Tate and Rough&Rowdy like this.
  9. Rough&Rowdy

Rough&Rowdy Forum Resident

From what I've heard and read about it over the years, they did Hogan/Flair on the house show circuit in late '91/early '92 and it didn't exactly set the world on fire. Fans were beginning to tire of Hogan, Flair wasn't getting the heel heat you would expect around the country, and the gates weren't as big as they hoped for. The match drew pretty well in some areas, less so in others. If this had been done in 1987 or 1988, it may have been different. Let's not forget the fact that in Hogan and Flair you're dealing with two massive egos and neither guy wanted to do the job on the big stage.

Call me crazy, but I think WM8 worked out much better with what we got. Savage/Flair was a classic, and Sid/Hogan is a guilty pleasure of mine.

10. Matthew Tate

Thoughts on bob Orton and Jerry Lawler ?

11. glennzo

glennzo Forum Resident

Speaking of Hogan, the following "Terry Boulder" video appeared in my youtube feed the other day.
    Try and guess who his brother "Eddie Boulder" is.

Rough&Rowdy and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Rough&Rowdy

^It's slightly odd watching Hogan cut a less-than-confident promo. Not quite the force of nature he would soon become.

Did Brutus just follow Hulk everywhere??

blutiga likes this.
  13. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

He was "The Friend to the End" brother!

Rough&Rowdy likes this.
  14. Rough&Rowdy

Did anyone else say 'brother' in their promos before The Hulkster began saying it every other word??

15. glennzo

glennzo Forum Resident

I think he borrowed that from Superstar Billy Graham.

NaturalD, blutiga, RayS and 2 others like this.
  16. Matthew Tate

Yes the superstar and Jesse the body cut promos that are very much in common with what the hulk did after them

blutiga likes this.
  17. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Hogan has said in interviews that he used "Brother" because he was bad with names and couldn't remember them so he used "Brother". Yeah Brut-I followed him everywhere. They had a falling out a few years ago but I believe they patched it up last year. I heard Brutus on a podcast talking about it (that they had a falling out) and then heard him again earlier in the year on another podcast that they had patched things up. It might be the Sean Mooney (who??) podcast.

blutiga and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Matthew Tate

btw did anyone see after 35+ years with the wwe these goofs laid off legend Gerald Brisco about a month ago.

19. Matthew Tate

No one wanted to share any thoughts on Jerry Lawler or bob Orton?

20. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Eh, I guess. I'm just not a fan, although I will certainly admit that he was really good in the ring. His unprofessionalism at times is just a sore spot with me.

Savage/Flair was a great match for sure. I thought Hogan/Sid was a dud.

Back to Hogan/Flair, why Vince ran that on the house show circuit before WM8 is beyond me. A slow build to WM8 would have far more sense, but I guess it was possible that Flair didn't want to come in and lose to Hogan right away, and there was no way Vince was going to have the biggest star of the other major wrestling promotion of the 80's come in and beat Hulk just like that.

21. MikeInFla

905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Matthew Tate and MikeInFla like this.
  23. MikeInFla

Yep, cash grab!

24. Matthew Tate

lol so no one has any opinion on jerry lawler or bob orton? what about terry funk or the brisco brothers ?

25. MikeInFla

During the 80's I was a WWF guy only. If they weren't in WWF I did not pay attention. At this point Bob was just a henchman for Piper. Terry was there for a short time and was a good heel. I remember him spitting tobacco on the camera. (Or maybe I am thinking of Skinner?). I remember an interview with The Funk Brothers with Lord Alfred that was funny.

But I have come to appreciate Lawler and have actually never seen a match by the Brisco Brothers. Really my first exposure to older Lawler matches was when AWA was on ESPN Classic and Lawler was feuding with Hennig at the time, good stuff and Madusa didn't look like she was made of plastic.

Matthew Tate likes this.