Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. trd

trd Forum Resident

I think this was perhaps intended for me? I just have a 48x24x2 panel that would normally go on the wall at a first reflection point and I set up lengthwise in front of and leaning against the tv A blanket would probably work the same way but I think this looks better and I don’t have it futz with it to make sure it’s covering everything etc.

Tullman, Rick58 and jonwoody like this.
  2. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

Hmmm if by ATS you mean the shelf, that is a mantle built into the house/fireplace when the place was built ca 1926. The OLED tv is mounted to the wall. Wasn’t easy (plaster).

trd likes this.
  3. Tourswede

Tourswede Forum Resident

Happy days here. AN-K-LX speakers arrived today and even straight out of the box they really sound remarkably better than the K-D demo speakers that they replaced. Rest is AN Oto SE Sig, Rega RP8/IQ3 and a 70's Onkyo radio.

[​IMG]

JUCO, barfko, Kyhl and 45 others like this.
  4. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Very nice deck and a good buy.

5. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

Nicely matched system

jonwoody and Tourswede like this.
  6. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Class act all the way. Delicious.

jonwoody and Tourswede like this.
  7. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Congrats on the K-Lx's and nice system! Is the finish on the K's black ash?

8. Tourswede

Tourswede Forum Resident

Thanks, it sounds great! It’s black ash finish on the Ks.

jonwoody likes this.
  9. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

It seems that the first proper review is online, it's about the Elysian 4 though, not the 2 :

Just posting it here as there were several people interested (including myself)...

Bevok, bluemooze, jonwoody and 3 others like this.
  10. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    My sanctuary.

Dred, KariK, 16hz lover and 42 others like this.
  11. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

We all need a sanctuary. Plus, if you feel someone is coming to find you, you can jump behind one of those Maggies to hide! LOL

OldSoul, Rick58, jonwoody and 3 others like this.
  12. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

I see you have your priorities straight as it is
    very important to stay hydrated during those long listening sessions :cheers:!

OldSoul, Staxus, Rick58 and 3 others like this.
  13. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

You know something that many have yet to discover...that Classé CA-300 amp is an excellent choice for driving Magnepan speakers. That series really brings makes the bass come alive and the slightly rolled-off top end blends well with those ribbon tweeters. Those Classé amps also mate extremely well with Thiel speakers too.:agree:

trd, Rick58, Ken E. and 1 other person like this.
  14. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Really lovely sanctuary and great system. May I ask how far apart the Maggies are? I feel like with big panels I always think they look too close together but thinking that's likely an optical illusion due to their size.

Rick58 and Ken E. like this.
  15. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Eight feet end to end, my seat is eight feet back.

Rick58 and jonwoody like this.
  16. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Curious, could figure it out I'm sure, but room treatment panels? are they mostly diffusive? I do see the 'traps' in the corners. Also, S'phile claims Magnepan recommends tweeters to the outside ... I imagine you've read and maybe tried it both ways ... Magnepan Magneplanar MG3.6/R loudspeaker Measurements part 2

Don't know why the recommendation, the measured response seems pretty 'even' all the way across L-R ... I did also notice a footnote "The tweeters should be slightly farther from the listener than the bass-midrange panel, so will be placed inboard or outboard, depending on distance and toe-in." so seems like tweeters in makes more sense.

Seem like a very consistent 4 ohm load (at least the 3.6/Rs in the review). I have cats so am afraid of getting something like these! but imagine if I wanted to, my new Parasound A 21 would drive them pretty well (400Wpc). Tempting!

PS: "Front-to-back layering was superb; in fact, the 3.6s set a new standard in this regard. They didn't just clearly define the position of the instruments on the stage and the surrounding hall boundaries, or even do so with a greater degree of precision and specificity than other speakers—they also quite clearly described the spaces between the performers, and between the instruments and an adjacent hall boundary. A lot of speakers can do this in the lateral plane, but none—in my experience—can do it so well with respect to the front-to-back distances."

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :cool: :winkgrin:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    mktracy and Ken E. like this.
  17. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

I first learned about time alignment from Jim Thiel, my 80's vintage 1.2s are still in use in my TV set-up in our LR. Yes, that's why the woofer panels are closer to my ears using the recommended toe-in.
    I tried to fix one of the panels last year - to no avail - but I can tell you from having taken one apart and putting it back together there is only the cloth sock protecting the woofer and midrange section. Cat claws would be devastatingly effective in breaking one of the wires. This can be fixed, but that has to be done @ Magnepan IMO.

Rick58 likes this.
  18. Djohm

Djohm Forum Resident

Marantz 4270 subbed in for preamp duty...

[​IMG]

Kyhl, OldSoul, BigGame and 56 others like this.
  19. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

That is just beautiful.

OldSoul, mreeter, chili555 and 3 others like this.
  20. Rayvano

Rayvano Forum Resident

Much better looking than todays amps...What a great looking amp!!

OldSoul, rocnred and Djohm like this.
  21. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

Actually, that is not really an amp..it's a receiver! Amp, preamp, tuner ( and probably an equalizer) all rolled into one box. If you like the look of receivers, then yes it's great. I much prefer the look of separates. YMMV.

Rayvano, Djohm, bever70 and 1 other person like this.
  22. Rayvano

Rayvano Forum Resident

oké you’re right it’s a receiver pfffff...you know what i mean i’m not that stupid. ;)

action pact, jonwoody and Tim 2 like this.
  23. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

Such a nice looking receiver, Marantz may be my favorite receiver of that period.

I subbed in a Marantz Model 7 for a few weeks that I was giving a thorough going through for a friend. He may have a tough time getting it back.
    [​IMG]

Kyhl, OldSoul, richie60 and 51 others like this.
  24. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Beautiful looking speakers and easily one of the best midrange's I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. I almost bought a pair for myself until my wife said to me while we were auditioning them at Hanson Audio in Cincinnati, Ohio, that they were so very similar in sound to my beloved Paradigm Studio 100 v2's, that I passed. Those Paradigm's honestly are VERY similar in so many audible areas of the "Olympica III", that to us only the midrange was the major difference and the true stand out. If you ever have the means try Steely Dan's "Haitian Divorce" on both sets of speakers (while listening for the midrange) and the Olympica III will literally reach out and smack you right upside your head and say "where have you been all my life?"

Echoes Myron and timind like this.
  25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Is that a copy of Kid A in the lower left rack? I'd like to hear that great album on that great gear!