Michell Gyro Owners

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ThorensSme, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Bloodbuzz459

Bloodbuzz459 Forum Resident

Do the silver covers fit over the pylons?

Andy Saunders likes this.
  2. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Yes they do.

3. Andy Saunders

Just a little heads up on the HR PSU, was told by the dealer l purchased it from to "not leave the HR PSU on when not in use" as Michell did have had a few returns with reliability issues with them left on.... however l have had the HR PSU for a good few years now with no issues ( only improved sound:drool:) that said l have never heard of any failures.

LakeMountain and Dubmart like this.
  4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Other than occasional periods when I knew I wouldn't be using the deck for a while my HR was left connected and on at all times, I guess that's for over a decade when I owned it, I'm not sure what the friend I sold it to does regarding leaving it on, not sure if it's relevant, but my HR was the tenth made so maybe more care was taken, I ordered it at the Bristol show before they'd even started proper production, I also have very clean and stable mains.

5. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

I have my HR PS on since I installed it with no problems whatsoever. Now I don’t dare to switch off anymore;).....

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Andy Saunders likes this.
  6. LakeMountain

Pete, how do the changes sound? Can it still get better than it already is?

7. gwernaffield

gwernaffield Well-Known Member

hi there is a lot more detail , also the bass is 100% better along with the mids, with better extension to the whole of the music , even the clip of you tube sounds like the bass will never end ,
    i cheated a bit and used a fozgometer to set the azimuth up which has helped the sound stage get even wider , the psu is now beaded in ,it is the mk2 version of that , with torque control built into the board , there may be a mk3 , ,
    The wow and flutter is way down ..02 .06 , Michell said they don't do wow and flutter figures ,how ever it should be .09% for the orb and .15% gyro , they did not say what the weighting or the spec they use , the numbers i have given are the german scale of DIN , with 3% weighted, at 315khz, using the AP test lp and clear audio test lp ,
    in the past Michell recommended that the QC power supply not be left on , it has a pre heater or some thing like that , this would dry the AC motor bearing out and cause the motor to become noisy , according the Jonathen Nye Michell engineer , not sure about the HR , althoght i do have one in the cupboard , withe the TPA one i no longer have to move the belt , which means no more dirt on the belt ,
    for now at least the deck will be left just to play the music , until the new platter is made , the time for getting that done seems to be how long is a piece of string , being at the back of the que ,
    pete

8. Andy Saunders

Just a quick ask.... any owners performed the DensoDamp tweak and care to share their thoughts on this tweak.... thanks.:edthumbs:

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  9. glide

glide Forum Resident

Does anyone have a line on a used standalone motor housing or complete DC kit? I’m looking to add one to my old Papst motor.

The new prices seem pretty high for what it is and compared to what the deck costs.

10. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

You'll have to be lucky, unless an owner scrapped a TT and ended up having a loose motor in not very likely. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought a new motor is around 200 or so.

11. glide

glide Forum Resident

DC motor is $600 and the stand alone casing is $300. $900 total for *just* the motor.

My first Gyro SE only cost me $1500.
    Just picked up a Gyrodec with the full plinth and older style motor. I was hoping to convert it but not at those prices.

12. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

There's actually quite a few Gyro owners out there that prefer the Papst motor.

I know of a fellow Gyro owner that has bought parts from the UK at a substantial savings over North American prices. The UK dealers are not supposed to ship to the USA, but he found a shop that would at the time.

13. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

I too have a spare AC/Past motor, housing and plinth available (UK-based), having recently upgraded to SE and DC.

14. glide

glide Forum Resident

That’s a problem I’ve been running into. I’ve spoken with probably 5 UK-based shops and none will ship Michell/Rega to the US

33na3rd likes this.
  15. glide

glide Forum Resident

Do you happen to have a spare standalone housing? Or is it the floating housing from the original deck?

16. MGW

It is the motor housing that attaches to the perspex plinth.
    If that is not what you want have you tried contacting Michell directly.

17. glide

glide Forum Resident

Yes I have tried contacting them and they always refer me to Artech who is the US distributor and I’m back to looking at $900 for the motor and housing.

18. Uglyversal

The excessive price is a country based thing then, we are used to that kind of tactics here in Australia probably much more than you. I despise that kind of behavior from companies and when possible I avoid them. I have an Orbe, for many years it has provided me with plenty of satisfaction but I wouldn't buy it again for the reasons you are complaining about. I wasn't aware at the time that Michel wants to force me to use the local dealer.

So does Marantz, if I wanted to buy a receiver from the US, where they are a lot cheaper, and I manage to do it, they will block me from getting firmware updates unless I have a US address, at least that was the case a couple of years ago, I ended up buying a Yamaha receiver.

19. LakeMountain

I ordered my Michell & parts here for U.K. prices, just converted for exchange rate. Michell Engineering
    They ship to continental Europe, but am I not sure if they also do it do other continents, but you can select to show prices in US$.

20. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Michell or any UK company that sells retail will not sell direct, certainly in foreign markets where they have a contract with an appointed distributor. Maybe if you lived somewhere with no distribution Michell or a UK retailer would deal with you. I know Australia is more expensive for most things and has to import. I thought records were expensive here compared with US but prices for you seem far higher still. Something people keen to emigrate probably don't take into account fully.

21. Uglyversal

It's a country specific thing but I must say that if I lived in the Netherlands, at one time or another, I would just plan a short trip to the UK to buy parts and other stuff. It's not so simple from here.

I find there are plenty, but not all companies enter these type exclusive deals in prejudice of the consumer, in this case people residing in Australia. Fortunately some things have changed and not always things are more expensive here than in other markets. For instance photographic equipment is very competitive these days here.

Nevertheless, Australia has become a very expensive country to live in, I hope economic bliss is not the only reason new migrants want to come here for or they might end up being getting a big surprise. Like they say, the grass always looks greener on the other side.

LakeMountain likes this.
  22. MGW

I do not for one moment think that Michell or other companies do this to prejudice the consumer.

Michell is a very small company and, like many others, the only way in which they can get their products to the global market and make a profit is to enter into binding agreements with distributors who will take their cut, quite legitimately. Downside is that their costs and profit add an additional layer of cost to the consumer and in some cases both costs and profits can be quite high.

If it were me I would contact Steve Rowland at Michell (phone or email) and ask.

GyroT likes this.
  23. MGW

It just occured to me that this must include the DC PSU as well? If so not quite just the motor and housing.

24. glide

glide Forum Resident

That is correct. $600 for the DC motor + PSU
    $300 for the motor casing, which is required for the DC motor.

Again, it’s half the price of a new table which seems steep to me.

25. MGW

I can only think that you are getting some incredible bargains in the USA. A new Gyrodec/SE ranges between about £1850 and £2600 here in its UK home. Then add in the exchange rate, albeit rather advantageous to you at present, and $900 is not half the TT.
    The motor, housing and PSU are a substantial part of the entire kit though so $900 perhaps does not seem too outrageous to me.

Classicrock and LakeMountain like this.