The Monkees "The Monkees" 2020–Deluxe Edition 2 LPs on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Oct 9, 2020.

1. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

How did you confirm you got the yellow vinyl? My order number ends in 22077.

ToEhrIsHuman likes this.
  2. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

I’d like to know as well!

Monkees67 likes this.
  3. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

I preordered within minutes of the announcement, so I presume I got the yellow. Looking at the promo photos now, I prefer the look of the black vinyl, but either way is fine.

JFSebastion likes this.
  4. Monkees67

Monkees67 Forum Resident

I contacted their customer service people with my order details... and they replied a couple of days later that I had the yellow vinyl version

cloggedmind and crustycurmudgeon like this.
  5. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

Thank you. I contacted customer service and they confirmed my order number ending in 22077 is the yellow vinyl version. :righton:

Monkees67 likes this.
  6. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

It's fine with all these vinyl reissues and all, but I really would like to see Handmade deluxe editions for Headquarters and Pisces. Then I'll get excited.

7. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

Somerset Scholar likes this.
  8. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Props to @FredV for posting this in another Monkees' thread.
    Zilch interviews Andrew Sandoval about this upcoming 1st Monkees album 2 LP release.
    Good hearing some details from Sandoval about this release and his updated book about the group in 2021!

Iceman08, Brian Mc, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I ordered early. Although I don't own a record player.

Wish they'd include a download code.

Wonder if they'll continue this for the other 8 original Lps?

ToEhrIsHuman and lemonade kid like this.
  10. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Good to know they are keeping it up to date, and not putting up false teasers when the yellow vinyl is no longer available!

So you all that got the yellow platters, let us know and share your joy!

ToEhrIsHuman likes this.
  11. ToEhrIsHuman

ToEhrIsHuman Forum Resident

Sad that the best available masters for sides A & B are safety copies...and a German one for side A. I'm sure Kevin worked his magic though. Sounds like they didn't expect this to even sell out the yellow copies, so over 1000 sold on day one portends good things for more Monkees expanded editions on vinyl in the future.

McLover and Iceman08 like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Sick of Vinyl. It's 2020. Release the last two SDE 3-CD sets of Headquarters & Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones, LTD. Sandoval could do it in the same fashion that he's doing with his book. He could also gather the remaining demos, alternate takes, unreleased tracks and release them with the book.

We know he has his own personal stash ...

supermd, Grand_Ennui, DaveJ and 5 others like this.
  13. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Anyone know if it's available on Amazon.ca? Or other Canadian sites?

14. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Guys, I understand the desire to have SEs of the remaining titles BUT the ones that have been released so far have nasty bright EQ and are tough on the ears. What good are they if you can't enjoy them?

15. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

I enjoy them.

Grand_Ennui, DaveJ and Pawnmower like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I also enjoy them. The point is to have the alternate takes, backing tracks, demos and any unreleased material that exists around the time of the album's recording.

With Sandoval doing the mixing were stuck with the brightness. Hopefully one day Rhino will commission someone else to do a total remix (as much as can be done) with the entire catalog (Monkees S/T to Changes). Would Steve take on this momentous project?

The only set I can not listen to because it's so bright that it hurts my ears is "Music Box", and I still hear people praise it. "Listen To The Band" was the best sounding collection IMHO.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    colmanjones, Mr Hankey, DaveJ and 2 others like this.
  17. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Rhino owns the Monkees catalog. Andrew Sandoval can only work on the tapes for release, it’s up to Rhino to release them if they find it financially beneficial to them. We’re pretty much at the mercy of Rhino if they release them or not.

Iceman08 and JuanTCB like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I was thinking Sandoval could do a Kickstarter project with the price goal including "Liscensing' from Rhino for the use of the music. Or pitch an ideal to Rhino to setup a pre-order, before the sets are constructed, to see if the demand is there.

I know Rhino owns the music. Funny how Sandoval has his own special songs like the demos to "Keys to the Car" and "Papa Gene's Blues", not to mention the other rarities heard on the Sunshine show. Although if I had access to 'all' the tapes in the vault, I'd have a digital copy. Although that doesn't sound legal.

Either way, at least he shares them in some fashion. Maybe he'll get everything released in his lifetime. He has to be a little older than myself, 48.

Hep Alien and marc with a c like this.
  19. FredV

FredV Senior Member

While we're on that thought , I'm hoping Mark Lewisohn will release vol. 2 of his Beatles bio 'Tune In' within his lifetime, too!

Upsiditus, Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
  20. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I'm 48 as well and I've always been under the impression that he's right around the same age as we are, mainly based on how young he was when he got involved with MLII. As for what's in the archives, we don't know when certain songs/sessions were discovered relative to various Super Deluxe release dates, etc. but the guy's done so much for the band and its legacy that I don't think he's up to anything nefarious or is holding things back out of malice.

21. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Does anyone know when this will ship? If pre-order is until November 9th, does that mean it ships on the 10th?

22. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Nope... they wait to press based on their order count... now the yellow version could go out sooner because its a finite amount pressed..

But I wouldn't expect the record in your hands until about February..maybe later..

23. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Well that's depressing. LOL

24. siegel7825

siegel7825 Forum Resident

25. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Might be. Certainly would like a CD of the TV mixes.

Jason Michael and Hep Alien like this.