Who Likes-Vincent Price?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Luvtemps, Nov 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goat65cars

goat65cars Jerry A Great Dog We Miss You RIP 2002 To 2020

Bing
    He Was A Great Actor!
    House On Haunted Hill As Campy As It Seems Now Scared The Hell Out Of Me When I Was 8 yrs old.

rmath84 and Classic Car Guy like this.
  2. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Got my Vincent Price Collection BR yesterday. Watched House Of Usher last night. Very nice presentation, probably the best I've ever seen it since the early 60s in a theater.

3. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident Thread Starter

Mr. Price to me was as talented as any actor in Hollywood, and he could've won multiple Oscars but I believe that he was truly having fun hamming it up.

4. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch the Face of God -

I love Vincent Price Movies...
    "Heeelp- Meeee"

5. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

Although even as a 10 year old the skeleton flying out of the screen looked fake. Maybe that was when I learned to just go with it.

goat65cars likes this.
  6. goat65cars

goat65cars Jerry A Great Dog We Miss You RIP 2002 To 2020

Twice Told Tales w Mr. Vincent Price will Be On TCM Tonight At 7:00 PM West Coast Time.
    If Anyone Is Interested.

7. mcnpauls

mcnpauls Forum Resident

Absolutely: astonishing acting ability, yet he just enjoyed being Vincent Price so much onscreen and in life, and why not? A former colleague of mine used to know him well in the 70s and said he was actually pretty much as you'd imagine and hope.

Just watch one of the true class acts guest on his friend Christopher Lee's "This is your Life":

All Down The Line and Simon A like this.
  8. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

I just rewatched Laura the other day after going thru volume one of the Vincent Price collection. Now I need to rewatch Dragonwyck.

Steve Litos and Pete Puma like this.
  9. It’s a terrific film all around. Too bad that Robert Fuest’s career petered our after The Devil’s Rain. That movie has an interesting history-Knowing Fuest’s previous films and his work on The Avemfers the producers hired him. He took a similar approach to this project as his other ones and they didn’t like it so they did some reshooting to make it ‘straight’ but ran out of money. The film is stylistically all over the place. I still enjoy it. It’s so bad it’s good. Good cast-Ernest Borgnine, Ida Lupino, William Shatner, Tom Skerritt and, in his debut (as an extra really) John Travolta.

10. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

He was an art collector, and my father knew him in that capacity. He gave me an autographed picture of him in some swashbuckling outfit. I remember being disappointed because I knew him from his B horror films. (I recall spending an entire afternoon at the local movie house when I was a kid watching Price Poe flicks, which I noticed all had the same stock footage of a house burning down at the end. Screaming kids doing just about everything except watching the movie.) I have no idea what happened to that photo. I also had an autographed photo of Tony Perez I wish I still had. Well, at least I still have Ike's signature (Eisenhower, not Turner)! That easily could have gone down in the flood in 2012.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  11. There is nothing I have seen or heard Vincent Price do that I didn't absolutely love. His work with Alice Cooper and Michael Jackson. His narration. I watch his narration of 'The Raven' every year around this time. Egghead on Batman. The Muppet Show. The Hilarious House Of Frightenstein (which I would buy on DVD if I could find them). Every single movie he's been in is worthwhile but I especially love the horror movies and of those I make it a point to watch both Dr. Phibes movies every October. I bought a T-Shirt two years ago that his visage takes up the entire front (neon green on black) and I always get compliments when I wear it. The man has lots of fans. The man was and is an American treasure.....and oh, I named my first born son Vincent to honor both Vincent Price and Alice Cooper (Vincent Furnier.)

Shawn likes this.
  12. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I'm just getting into Vincent Price now. The gateway for me was House On Haunted Hill, which I think is fantastic. I saw this for first time recently as an adult in my 40s (yeah, a little late) and absolutely loved it. There's no campiness there to me, just devilishly good fun. The dialog between Vincent's character and his wife Anabelle (Carol Ohmart) is razor sharp.

Given that, what else would anyone recommend that has a similar tone? I've also seen The Masque Of The Red Death, Tomb of Ligeia, Dragonwyck and Laura.

There's a lot of famous ones that I haven't seen yet like House Of Wax, Dr Phibes and the Edgar Allen Poe stories, but I'm wondering where to go next. October is a good time to watch some VP!

Even the "Brady Bunch in Hawaii" episodes :)? I have to say he's pretty uninspiring in those.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    SilkHammer likes this.
  13. I almost mentioned those!! I was about 10 years old then so I liked them at the time!

JAuz likes this.
  14. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

The episodes are garbage. Vincent Price is the best thing in them by far. For better or worse, that's largely his legacy.

15. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

Always loved Vincent Price; he knew that even camp could be scary in the right circumstances. He and Christopher Lee struck me as the Karloff and Lugosi of Britain:
    Price was funny and easy-going; Lee seemed to want more 'respect' as a Serious Actor.

C.

16. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

You might try Witchfinder General (renamed The Conqueror Worm in the US) but it's not the usual over the top performance he's known for. Very dark , menacing and violent.

17. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I love his films even the very campy ones.

When I was a magazine art director a food advertiser Chartered a train from NY to Boston with a special galley car. Food editors were invited and Vincent Price prepared a meal and hosted the editors. Of course there was plenty of wine and they all had a great time. The food editor never stopped talking about it. She adored Vincent Price and found him to be charming, witty, and a genuinely nice person.

That was refreshing because some of the celebrities were not so gracious at press events and let everyone know they were jut there for the check.

18. Django

Django Forum Resident

I watched masque of the red death last week. Great looking film. Corman directing & Nic Roeg DP.

Witchy Woman and Jazzmonkie like this.
  19. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

And a great performance by Price.

20. I watched Baron of Arizona recently, Price is excellent in it. Not the easiest movie to track down but well worth it to see him in this western.

Witchy Woman and Jazzmonkie like this.
  21. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

House on Haunted Hill frustrated me. It had great moments but petered out very abruptly after the skeleton gag. I can't fault Vincent for that though - William Castle seemed to be more interested in gimmicks than making good movies. I think the best one with Vincent was The Tingler, which was great right up until the tingler in the theater gag. I'm sure it was a lot of fun to see in the theater as a kid though.

22. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

Saw both House on Haunted Hill and Tingler, first run, in theaters. No floating skeleton or buzzers under the seats, though. (During Tingler’s run, our theater had an ambulance and nurse stationed in the lobby.) But, I can imagine the theater scene in the Tingler being done today, completely dark, surround sound screams, might be quite effective.

Loved those films!

23. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Castle didn't start out that way. In his early days, he directed a great film noir, When Strangers Marry, and some good entries in Columbia's Whistler series of mystery films. He also worked as an associate producer on Lady from Shanghai.

After his horror film Macabre was a surprise hit, he started the gimmick/faux-Hitchcock cycle of films. They can be silly, but Price was always great, and I think The Night Walker, one of the later ones (without Price), is really good.

finslaw and Alan G. like this.
  24. gogators1

gogators1 Forum Resident

So good in Corman’s Poe films. Was just a delight on the talk-show circuit. And Vincent Price is the best Robert Neville to date.

Shawn likes this.
  25. His archvillain character Egghead in the Batman TV series is outrageous. Monumental scenery chewing, with bad puns for seasoning.

Youtube has those goods in stock.

Shawn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.