Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Bob Orton would have gone much farther in his career if it weren't for that arm that refused to heal.

MikeInFla and blutiga like this.
  2. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Thats Junior. I remember his daddy.

3. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I think that's clear. I mean, look at the pain he was obviously in. It's a testament to the wrestler he was that he tried to fight through it. And then that quack of a doctor trying to suggest the the injury had healed and he was faking it.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  4. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Gimmick infringement. Iron Mike Sharp is STILL trying to heal..........

Valkenburg and blutiga like this.
  5. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Wow. Iron Mike Sharp. That's a great name to remember. Legend!
    Back in those days, I seem to recall every new wrestler to the WWF looking to rise up the ranks had to get by Iron Mike Sharp early on :)

905, Daniel Plainview and JamieC like this.
  6. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

First time I ever saw Steele was the 6 man match between Sharpe, Sharpe, and Steele and Micheal Hayes, Terry Gordy, and David Von Erich for the World Class 3 man belts.

blutiga likes this.
  7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i was not a fan of what the WWF did to jerry lawler when he came. it seems vince liked to take huge stars of other promotions and make them jokes in the WWF

MikeInFla and blutiga like this.
  8. Matthew Tate

Anyone other than me collect wrestling DVD’s?

9. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I never really saw the Briscos or Bob Orton (unless they were on the old Wrestling at the Chase, in which case I do not remember them).

Funk was awesome in '89 in the feud with Flair. I have seen his match with Harley Race where he lost the world title and he did an awesome job of selling the Indian death lock before finally submitting. That is how you sell a submission finisher.

I was never a Lawler fan. He was a big fish in a little pond in Memphis, and when he finally came to the WWF, I thought it was clear he wasn't a main event guy. He did a great job as the heel in the feud with Bret Hart, but otherwise was better off being a heel announcer, IMO. Definitely a great talker and knew how to aggravate the fans.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Daniel Plainview

I have a smattering. Wish they made more. Need another AWA set.

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Matthew Tate

If you’ve ever seen the real Lawler you’d know he was a main event guy. The WWF Lawler was at the end of his prime as a wrestler . He was in his 40s by the time he came to WWF. He had great feuds and matches prior to that with ric flair, Harley race, Terry Funk, superstar billy Graham , Nick Bockwinkel, etc.

He came to WWF actually to help run things and be an on air presence if Vince has gotten locked up for the steroid thing. I’ll have to watch the documentary again but I think Vince originally asked Jerry Jarrett to come and Jerry declined but recommended Jerry Lawler. Jerry Agee’s to have a feud with his real life friends the Hart family and then real life friend Jake Roberts. Other than that he really didn’t do much actual wrestling that was substantial in the WWF

George Co-Stanza and blutiga like this.
  12. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

Funk is probably my all-time favorite -- probably the wildest improviser in all my years of watching. Loved his 1989 run with Ric Flair. I was also a WWF fan from the northeast in the early 80s. Here is one memorable Funk classic from his run there.

blutiga and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Matthew Tate

i have a ton of them. most are dirt cheap especially if they were ones released before 2016 because so many sold.

i have some good advice for anyone interesting in trying to get good summaries of your favorite superstars.

the big names or people who had dvd sets out before they retired obviously you'll have to buy several sets to get a good career overview as wwe at least makes an attempt to not duplicate many matches in career spanning sets. so guys like HHH, HBK, Hogan, Sting, Flair, Edge, Macho Man, Ultimate Warrior, etc, you just need to look for the career spanning sets that have some sort of documentary and usually those are the ones to get and not the old 1 or 2 dvd sets from about 20 years ago. Obviously doing most of your wrestling for companies that WWE now owns the tape vaults for makes a career overview easier.

There are also some nice sets about specific PPVs like Starrcade, Madison Square Garden, and sets about specific companies like AWA , ECW, WCW that are nice.

Now stars with only one set that is supposed to be a career overview because they were pretty much retired when their sets were released here are my thoughts on the best sets and the worst sets.

Best

American Dream- IMO he has the overall best set of anyone that covers any entire career. Great documentary. Tons of amazing promos by Dusty. WWE did one of the smartest things ever and have very little of Dusty's late 80's/ early 90's return to WWF other than the great promos he did. Only 4 matches from that time. His early 1970's AWA tag team time with Dick Murdoch is covered nicely. His feuds with Harley Race, Superstar Billy Graham and Ivan Koloff have several matches included. Also the big Great American Bash match from 1986 with Flair is here and his work with Sting as a tag partner and work with the Road Warriors is highlighted. The one match i'll say is missing is the Starrcade 1985 match against Ric Flair. Not sure why but it can be found on the Starrcade best of dvd set and a Ric Flair dvd set

The Road Warriors-The original team was no more when this was released so its really good. Again WWE was smart. There are 19 matches and 12 of them are from before 1990. The have the famous Starrcade scaffold match with the midnight express. Their feuds with the Faboulous Freebirds, the Four Hosemen, the Koloffs and The Crusher are represented. A match with the Brisco Brothers who they worked well with is here. A match in japan against Hogan and Japanese star Genichiro Tenryu. The only things i'd say is i wish more promos were included. I wish some of their work with Dusty Rhodes and the Steiner Brothers was included. Maybe more of the Crockett cup other than the match against Magnum TA and Ronnie Garvin. Also these guys were imo pretty much linked to the War Games matches yet none are here. If you buy the War Games set you do get several matches they arae in usually against the Four Horsemen

Roddy Piper- The main drawback here is the documentary. A lot of time Roddy is still talking like its all real and not scripted. Other than that theres about 25 pipers pits. His time in Portland is represented with some stuff against Buddy Rose who was his rival there. His 1982 championship Match against Jack Brisco and his 1983 dog collar match against Greg Valentine are here and those imo are the highlight of his career. Of course his long feud with Hogan is here with the big mid 1980s matches and then the Starrcade 1996 match. Matches with Rick Rude, friends Bret Hart and Paul Orndorff and Bob Orton are among other highlights.

Ricky Steamboat- Very well put together set. The big match he had when he was tag teaming with Jay Youngblood is here when they wrestled the Brisco Brothers in 1983 at Starrcade for the belts. Two matches with Ric Flair from their long feud. The highlight of his career at wrestlemania III against Macho Man is here. A match from his feuds with Jake the snake, Stunning Steve Austin , Lex Luger and Rick Rude are the other highlights. Also his return to WWE match in 2009 against Chris Jericho. I'm sure someone will look at the Flair matches and say these aren't the 2 best but really they were all great.

Brian Pillman- One of the best documentaries . Sadly his career was so short you'd have to try hard to not make a great career summer dvd set. His was mainly a mid weight wrestler or a tag guy so you get a lot of high flying matches that included two matches against Jushin Liger , plus matches against Dean Malenko and Eddie Guerrero. Only one match where he was a tag team with Stunning Steve when they were called the Hollywood Blondes. High WWF feuds with Goldust and Steve Austin are here though.

The Meh. Meaning ok but lacking.

Mr Perfect- A 2 dvd set only . You can't contain all the highlights his great career on 2 dvds. You do get all his famous sports promos. There are 3 matches against probably his biggest rival long time friend Bret Hart. Also matches against HBK and Nick Bockwinkel. Missing though are any tag matches where he team with his dad or matches from his feud in the 1980's against Jerry Lawler.His late 1990's stint in WCW is practically ignored

Jake Roberts- Again just 2 dvds so the match selection is lacking. I would have liked more than one match from his feud with Ricky Steamboat. He had a feud with Roddy Piper back in the early 1980's that has nothing here. No matches from his early 1990's feud with the Macho Man. You do get matches against rivals Ricky Steamboat, Jerry Lawler and Rick Rude plus a great match against Stone Cold from 1996 that pretty much made Stone Colds career.

Jerry Lawler- If you get the blu ray release you get some extra matches from the 1980's which helps but overall this is pretty much a set focused on his WWE career which he really wasn't even there to be a full time wrestler. Weird mess. Yes the famous Terry Funk empty arena match is here. His feud with friends Andy Kaufman, The Hart Family and Jake Roberts are covered nicely as well as his feud with ECW. Outside of that we get the terrible 1994 match against Roddy Piper that they both dislike. Some matches against jobbers. An ok casket match against the Undertaker. I guess it's cool to have a match where he tags with his son. The blu ray has an early 1980's match with Ric Flair and both dvd and blu ray editions have the 2004 legends match with Ric Flair. His rivalries with Kerry Von Erich and Mr Perfect don't even include the most famous matches from those feuds. No matches from his famous feuds with Harley Race, The Fabulous Freebirds, Dutch Mantel, Austin Idol, Ken Patera or Randy Savage. Do they not have the film to the 1979 match where he defeated Superstar Billy Graham?

The bad

Superstar Billy Graham- umm ok 1 dvd. Are you kidding me? This guy was one of the biggest draws in wrestling in the 1970's until around 1981 and then made a nice comeback in the WWF during the mid 1980's. There are no matches after 1982 on this set. Only 7 promos for one of the best mic workers ever. Luckily his career can be salvaged as 2 other matches in the Dusty Rhodes feud are on the Dusty dvd set, another match in the feud with Bruno Sammartino is on the MSG set and another in his feud with Bob Backlund is on the history of the WWE Championship dvd set. Thats 4 more matches you can supplement these 6 matches with . Just a silly dvd release for one of the top draws ever in the company

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    MikeInFla, 905 and blutiga like this.
  14. Daniel Plainview

I have these DVDs:

Ricky Steamboat
    Jake Roberts
    Randy Savage
    Roddy Piper
    Curt Hennig
    Hulk Hogan (both 2 and 3 disc sets)
    Brett Hart
    Bobby Heenan
    Ric Flair (2 different sets)
    Greatest The Managers
    Four Horsemen
    Andre the Giant
    Road Warriors
    Hall of Fame Inductions 2004
    Wrestlemania 1-5
    Royal Rumble 1-5
    Summerslam 1-5
    Survivor Series 1-5
    Stars of the 80s 3 disc
    Saturday Nights Main Event
    WCCW
    AWA
    Mid-South
    Legends of Wrestling (all)

I think that's it.

15. Matthew Tate

Great stuff. How can you not have any HBK set ? There’s a few other Hart related sets now and some more macho man sets

16. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Piker. I have too many to list.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Found it. This is a damn fine match.

18. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

In context this was the night it all blew up. I was there. David VE wins the match for the Freebirds and an hour and a half later Gordy slammed the cage door on Kerry's head during his cage match with Ric Flair and thus began the Freebird/Von Erich fued. Perfect booking!

19. Daniel Plainview

I've been meaning to get the other Savage sets and the Piper "unreleased" set. I tend to beat around the bush because there just so many matches to watch and so little time. I barely find time to watch what I already have. There's plenty of great stuff on youtube to keep me busy for years.

While I respect the man and his talent I'm not much of a Shawn Michael's fan.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Matthew Tate

i'm actually watching the piper unreleased set now. its a lot of promos and interviews and ronda rousey talking. the pre WWF matches and the matches with mr perfect are the highlights

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  21. 905

905 Senior Member

I recently finished watching Mid-Atlantic from 1983 and saw lots of Bob Orton and the Briscos. They were great. And I have fond memories of Orton and Piper together.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I was never a big Dusty Rhodes fan, and his booking didn't help, as he became known for the Dusty finishes that marred the end of way too matches in the NWA/WCW in later 80's/early 90's even after he was gone. The whole idea of faking out the crowd with an ending and then changing it a minute later was the wrestling equivalent of blue balls. It became impossible to mark out for any great moment on the spot because you never knew if they were gonna pull the rug out from under you two minutes later. And Dusty Rhodes was responsible for that awful trend.

905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

I got tons but stopped a few years ago.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. 905

905 Senior Member

Yes and everything had to revolve around Dusty. Watching Mid-Atlantic on the Network I got to see how when Dusty and his Florida gang showed up it totally changed the program. Then I have my first hand memories when I became a fan in 1986. Dusty's in the title scene for all the belts including the tag team championship and six man. Heels had to come out and talk about him. Then Dusty comes out and talks about himself. Dusty takes Tully Blanchard's Baby Doll. Many wrestlers including Rick Steamboat reportedly left because Dusty was booking. Popular faces such as the Road Warriors show up, and there's Dusty right there with them.
    Having said that, I got a kick out of Dusty on occasion. If Dusty was shown more sparingly like Hogan was at the same time in the WWF, then I'd like him even more than I did.

25. Matthew Tate

i liked dusty in his old matches . after about 1988 his matches stink other than the few indie matches he had in the late 90's/early 00's

905 and MikeInFla like this.