Sunrise Records Canada - New Stores opening thread.

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by jimod99, Apr 19, 2017.

1. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Some customers in the prairies complaining the new Lady Gaga never arrived.

Alberta stores are still cashless - card only.

New Brunswick province Sunrise locations just opened. Probably 60 stores in 5(?) provinces still to go.

Written on blu-ray.com com forum 2 weeks ago:
    "Stopped by Sunrise today and I’m not sure why they bothered to open. Everything but the new release section was roped off with signs saying “please ask for assistance”."

2. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

It’s a tough one because people pick up CDs and vinyl to look at the tracks etc and then put them down. Now you have the potential of Covid on every CD and vinyl some guy picked up to look at while browsing. Then someone else comes along five mins later and picks it up...5 mins isn’t enough for the virus to die out in it’s own so I get why they are leery to let people have access to the product right now. When I am in there browsing I could easily have touched 25 discs....hell I don’t buy vinyl anymore but if I am killing time waiting for someone I will rifle through the vinyl too.

There’s a reason a lot of stores say if you touch something to buy it and not put it back. That’s really hard to ask at a record store.

3. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Knowing how long it takes them to get CD new releases and how unpredictable their timelines are for getting orders and back catalogue in store, I can’t see myself bothering to buy CDs from them for a long time. Are you supposed to call to ask about if a CD is in stock and prices and do in store pick up? That’s practically like calling a friend on the phone to look up something on Amazon for you.

4. SoundAdvice

There are several options for dealing with this issue. These are real world options I've seen in use. Sunrise having stock/prices info online(they have it privately) would be a major help for everyone involved. Somewhere between these options is a workable method for Sunrise to let customers "browse" in store.

-glorified pick up window plexi glass with employee personal shopper.

-face mask requested area with 10 min limit and hand wash station at front for use before AND after your browsing session.

-I went to a funko pop figure/board game/brain teaser store. They had a basket by the cashier for product you had handled but did not purchase. Employee gives them a wipe and returns then to shelf.

Browsing vinyl is touch heavy, but maybe they can put all the spines facing upward?

Anyone know how book stores have let people into their store aisles?

5. SoundAdvice

Not really mentioned online, but Metrotown Vancouver area mall location was fully open when I was there a few days ago. As was Chapters books.

Sunrise had hand wash dispenser at entrance with new arrivals on one side with 6 foot lines marked on the floor. Rest of the store was open to the public but was all "one way" only aisles marked on the floor with some shelves/end caps moved to make the store feel like a quasi maze. Only the new vinyl was "ask employee for assistance" due to over touching. The used vinyl is more spread out and has less demand. Seems some Sunrises can be fully open or just "pick up of specific requests only" cashier tills with shelves off limits. Not sure I saw much new stock since March closing save for a small number of newer releases.

Seems the 2/$22 blu rays and $5 cd were taken out in January.

noname74 likes this.
  6. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

I think something's going on with Warner product. Last year I wanted The Regrettes' "How Do You Love?" on CD and was told that it wasn't available but they could special order the vinyl. Same thing last week with The Magnetic Fields' "Quickies": no CD available but they could special order the vinyl. I've also noticed that there's no CD version of The Flaming Lips' "The Soft Bulletin Recorded Live at Red Rocks with the Colorado Symphony Orchestra" on shelves but I have seen the vinyl version.

7. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips? Thread Starter

They’ve never had a great relationship with Warner’s ever since they took over the HMV stores, many Warner’s releases never make stores on release day, if at all.

8. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Did my 2nd trip to Sunrise Records since last Friday. Very happy they had a new release on release day I wanted. They said basically no new stock of catalogue CDs except for Country. Still found a couple of 2/$10 and 2/$20 CDs.

9. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I was out to Sunrise today to pick up the Crown
    Lands (hot young Canadian duo) CD which was
    slated for release this morning. Didn't have it. The
    clerk says they have an issue getting Sony product.
    I don't know what label the band is on but the Sunrise
    tweet says it was out and available today.

10. jimod99

A common problem with the Sunrise social media accounts, announce new releases and then when you go to the store it isn't in stock.

If you call them out on it on the FB page they just delete your post.

11. noname74

I think the expectations of getting physical product on release date need to be tempered. Supply chains are moving but things are still slow and require extra time due to all the health and safety precautions at each stage of the supply chain.

Blair G. likes this.
  12. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Went to Sunrise today. Cash only because they have no internet. The guy said they’ve have no internet for 2 weeks and have lots boxes in the back of stuff they can’t put on the shelves until the internet is back. I hope they’re getting a break in their rent this month.

YUSUP SUPRIATNA and Sean like this.
  13. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

My Sunrise has now had no internet and hasn’t been able to put out new stock in 36 days. Pretty crazy.

YUSUP SUPRIATNA likes this.
  14. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Where?

15. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Metrotown. 2nd largest mall in Canada.

adm62 likes this.
  16. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

Coquitlam Centre was like that a few weeks ago (cash only) but they're operating normally now and have been for at least a few weeks. They've also had new stock on the shelves as I got My Morning Jacket's "The Waterfall II" the last week of August and Alicia Keys' "ALICIA" and Neil Young's "The Times EP" last Friday.

Sean likes this.
  17. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Popped out to Sunrise Friday morning to pick up the Tom Petty
    `Wildflowers' reissue as well as Eagles' new live set. They had
    neither in stock. I walked out into the mall and ordered both
    from Amazon. I'm not entirely optimistic that they will even
    have the Springsteen disc available on 10/23.

Sean likes this.
  18. SoundAdvice

I got Nick Mason/Stones Atlantic City from Sunrise on time on blu-ray. Indie stores here in Vancouver general get vinyl on time this year, but there's been plenty of exceptions and stuff late for RSD because of the border/Canada Post/customs pandemic whatever reason. London Drugs in Western Canada have been fairly non-existent with new releases. I also notice high demand box sets
    Get allocated to the US and Amazon which happened near Xmas 2019. Less about Sunrise and more about labels playing favourites.

I have local options and refuse to use Amazon for numerous personal/political reasons.

19. noname74

Both are Warner. I was in today and they have both on order..it’s just Warner didn’t ship them to their stores yet.

Sean likes this.
  20. SoundAdvice

My local mom & pop shop in Vancouver got the Pettys on Wednesday or Thursday.

21. noname74

Mine too. Something up with Warner and Sunrise.

22. jimod99

There appears to be long standing issues with Warner’s and Sunrise, there were many new releases that they didn’t get until a week or two after the release date when I lived in Canada

noname74 likes this.
  23. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Sunrise came through for me Friday morning. They had every new release in stock
    that I wanted: Springsteen, Arkells, Beastie Boys, Joe Bonamassa, Nickelback(!). I
    forgot to look for BOC though I would have been surprised to find that.

24. jimod99

Sunrise have opened their first FYE branded store at the Rideau Centre in Ottawa.

The previous 2 Sunrise branches in the same mall both lasted less than a year before they closed.

Daryl M and Sean like this.
  25. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

They opened an FYE in Colonie, NY last fall. I just learned of it today. No CDs and only a few DVDs, with a rack of records up front as you walk in.